U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 14,556 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Fort Mill area at the end of June. My husband is already in Charlotte and I went down for a week in April to house hunt and looked at about 40 houses but at that time I was still getting a feel for the area. We definitely want Fort Mill Schools but are also looking for a great neighborhood with lots of children. We have three kids ages 7, 5 and 3 and would love to find an area with young families. Ideally the neighborhood would have an active HOA with lots of family friendly events and a pool. Our price limit is about $235 and we need a house with 4 bedrooms and an office. Would love your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 AM

87 posts, read 183,828 times
Have you looked at Lake Ridge in Tega Cay and Massey (Doby's Bridge Road Area).

As far as getting a lot of square footage for your money, it's hard to beat True Homes in Lake Ridge. They also have a beautiful club house, awesome pool, and tennis courts.

I think you'll find most neighborhoods in Fort Mill, especially the newer ones, have tons of kids.

Good luck with your move. I think you will love it here.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM

208 posts, read 482,078 times
BAXTER!!!! Lot's of kids, but not sure $$ is enough.

Knights Bridge is huge and maybe lower cost.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 26,710 times
Be careful with True Homes. There is a reason you get a lot of square feet for a lower price (poor quality build and materials). I am speaking from experience

Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 AM

3,902 posts, read 4,620,485 times
Knightsbridge might have a couple homes near that price range that fit (their prices run the gamut from $185K for a 3 bed ranch to $300+ for a 5 bed colonial). It's an established Ryan Homes development. Lots of kids, pool, active HOA, near I77 for commuting purposes.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 AM

68 posts, read 115,358 times
You'll have a hard time buying into Baxter for under $300k. Massey has a great pool and amenity center, but won't have the same activities and feel as Baxter. You can buy into Massey for the mid $200's though.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 AM

133 posts, read 213,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCJ7 View Post
Be careful with True Homes. There is a reason you get a lot of square feet for a lower price (poor quality build and materials). I am speaking from experience
Hi JLCJ7, can you elaborate your "experience", if you don't mind? I am also interested in Lake Ridge in Tega Cay, and homes looks nice and affordable on web site.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesca923 View Post
Hi JLCJ7, can you elaborate your "experience", if you don't mind? I am also interested in Lake Ridge in Tega Cay, and homes looks nice and affordable on web site.
My experience with True Homes is that i bought one and lived in it for 3.5 years. My wife and I purchased one of their model homes and it looked very nice. I also have worked construction during and after college, so i know enough to be dangerous, and I think the best way to say it is they cut a lot of corners on build quality (framing techniques, drywall thickness, subfloors, undersized AC Heat units, etc...) what they do is try to use nice finishes on the surface to cover this up.

Since i worked construction i know and understand that new houses have warranty issues, but the why in which they fix those problems (under warranty) to me a reflection of the type of company they are and for us we had to threaten leagal action to get any results and the quality of work was poor and often had to be done a 2nd time. Here is a list of SOME of the issues we had with our house:

1) Irrigation system leaking underground. $≈300 water bills per month and True homes refused to fix saying we must be using it (I had to prove the system was unplugged before they fixed it).
2) Missing cable jack per builder blue prints
3) Front outside light never worked. Electrical wiring wrong
4) Missing wires in ceiling caps in bonus room
5) Water leak from master bathroom leaking into kitchen through the ceiling. Caused major repairs.
6) Hole in ceiling cut for repair patched very sloppy work. Cracks along seems. And very obvious.
7) Dishwasher not anchored to counter/cabinets and falls forward whenever opened
8) Crack in foundation right to left of house from under siding to ground through garage…causing windows, doors, floor and drywall issues…
9) Crack from front to back of foundation also…
10) Heating/cooling issues with furnace. Temp upstairs to downstairs is often 8-9 degrees difference. They told us to have us to calibrate the furnace. Heating guy said this is not possible with that unit. True homes response to us was close vents upstairs and turn heat/AC up
11) General carelessness in work (i.e. Switches wired backwards in most rooms/halls, have had multiple contractors tell us of sloppy wiring done by electricians)

After this I had other contractors come in and repair the work, HVAC guy said it was the worst job he had ever seen, Electrician said the same thing and was surprised it passed code.

NOW... This is just my experience, to be completely transparent, my parents are building a home in Lake Ridge Now with True Homes and it is slightly better quality, but still not good quality overall. Hopeully they do not have the same experiences my wife and I did...

Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 PM

133 posts, read 213,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCJ7 View Post
My experience with True Homes is that i bought one and lived in it for 3.5 years. My wife and I purchased one of their model homes and it looked very nice. I also have worked construction during and after college, so i know enough to be dangerous, and I think the best way to say it is they cut a lot of corners on build quality (framing techniques, drywall thickness, subfloors, undersized AC Heat units, etc...) what they do is try to use nice finishes on the surface to cover this up.

Since i worked construction i know and understand that new houses have warranty issues, but the why in which they fix those problems (under warranty) to me a reflection of the type of company they are and for us we had to threaten leagal action to get any results and the quality of work was poor and often had to be done a 2nd time. Here is a list of SOME of the issues we had with our house:

1) Irrigation system leaking underground. $≈300 water bills per month and True homes refused to fix saying we must be using it (I had to prove the system was unplugged before they fixed it).
2) Missing cable jack per builder blue prints
3) Front outside light never worked. Electrical wiring wrong
4) Missing wires in ceiling caps in bonus room
5) Water leak from master bathroom leaking into kitchen through the ceiling. Caused major repairs.
6) Hole in ceiling cut for repair patched very sloppy work. Cracks along seems. And very obvious.
7) Dishwasher not anchored to counter/cabinets and falls forward whenever opened
8) Crack in foundation right to left of house from under siding to ground through garage…causing windows, doors, floor and drywall issues…
9) Crack from front to back of foundation also…
10) Heating/cooling issues with furnace. Temp upstairs to downstairs is often 8-9 degrees difference. They told us to have us to calibrate the furnace. Heating guy said this is not possible with that unit. True homes response to us was close vents upstairs and turn heat/AC up
11) General carelessness in work (i.e. Switches wired backwards in most rooms/halls, have had multiple contractors tell us of sloppy wiring done by electricians)

After this I had other contractors come in and repair the work, HVAC guy said it was the worst job he had ever seen, Electrician said the same thing and was surprised it passed code.

NOW... This is just my experience, to be completely transparent, my parents are building a home in Lake Ridge Now with True Homes and it is slightly better quality, but still not good quality overall. Hopeully they do not have the same experiences my wife and I did...
I am sorry to hear your bad experience with True Homes, and thank you so much for sharing. I will keep your experience in my mind when I am going to visit Lake Ridge. I hope your parents will be ok there.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesca923 View Post
I am sorry to hear your bad experience with True Homes, and thank you so much for sharing. I will keep your experience in my mind when I am going to visit Lake Ridge. I hope your parents will be ok there.
Since i did give you my negative opinion i will also tell you that the house my parents just closed on in Lake Ridge with True Homes is much nicer than mine was. It also does not have many of the issues mine had...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties