U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:37 PM

389 posts, read 1,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXJunkie View Post
ok - i'm stressing some what with the posts about the area being run down - we really liked the reserve too but ended up at pleasant glen because of all it had to offer. Now i'm wondering if we're making a mistake.. . .someone help talk me off the ledge here!
I would think you'd be fine. I know a number of people moving into Pleasant Glen. Pleasant Road doesn't seem to get too much cut through traffic because it isn't the most direct route to anywhere, and the turn off SC49 is far enough away from the exit that it doesn't really feel like the same area. That section of Pleasant has some really nice neighborhoods.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 PM

53 posts, read 109,810 times
Well....our house is officially on the market. Kind of scary....I guess if we sell then we will be on our way. My husband hasn't heard anything on the resumes he sent out...they were all via internet so it could be a few weeks before a person gets a hold of them. I am a little worried that companies don't take people seriously from out of state. I guess we will see. There are tons of houses for sale on our block so that may take a while too.

Hey Mike....since you are from FL too. What are your reasons for wanting out of here? Its just getting too expensive here for us. I think we can have a good life in NC/SC. What attracted you to the area? Have you placed your house for rent yet? Hope things are going well for you.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:46 PM

40 posts, read 87,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica0927 View Post
Well....our house is officially on the market. Kind of scary....I guess if we sell then we will be on our way. My husband hasn't heard anything on the resumes he sent out...they were all via internet so it could be a few weeks before a person gets a hold of them. I am a little worried that companies don't take people seriously from out of state. I guess we will see. There are tons of houses for sale on our block so that may take a while too.

Hey Mike....since you are from FL too. What are your reasons for wanting out of here? Its just getting too expensive here for us. I think we can have a good life in NC/SC. What attracted you to the area? Have you placed your house for rent yet? Hope things are going well for you.
It is fun to come on here and see other families living nearly parrallel experiences...

Our house has been on the market for 8 days now - I'm keeping my current job, so no job search...

We're headed down Oct 20th to look at houses/area - we've got a family friend and his wife down there also...

Very excited to come down. My wife is a school teacher and we just had our first baby - he is 3 months next week and when we move she is not going back to work... until then, she is working. It can't come fast enough for her!!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 PM

54 posts, read 131,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica0927 View Post
We have a laundry list of reasons, mainly we do not want to raise kids here in South Florida. We heard about Fort Mill and we love it there. Getting a job there scares me, too many people are looking it seems like and not many places are hiring.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:05 AM

389 posts, read 1,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
We have a laundry list of reasons, mainly we do not want to raise kids here in South Florida. We heard about Fort Mill and we love it there. Getting a job there scares me, too many people are looking it seems like and not many places are hiring.
I would argue that there is a ton of hiring going on, but at least in my company the recruiters are overwhelmed. It's very competitive since so many people are moving here and looking for work. I haven't heard of someone who wasn't local being hired unless they were recruited by a search agency - that's primarily for exec level positions. And I've never known anyone who was hired based on a resume submitted on the Internet. It's great conceptually, but it doesn't seem to work. I would guess the resumes get lost in the pile - plus the way they print out from those database engines is very hard to read.

But the upside is that there are lots of jobs available, it's just hard to get to them. You have to differentiate yourself somehow; if there is any way you can keep dialing until you can get yourself in front of a recruiter, you're head and shoulders above other candidates. And many of our recruiters are trying to fill up to 50 positions at a time.

And if you have any experience recruiting, there are quite a few recruiter positions open here too!

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:52 AM

53 posts, read 109,810 times
A lot of the companies that my husband is applying to (new home builders...sales agent position) require you to apply online via their internet site. I agree its not the best way to get to someone.

Mike-we have the same reasons for wanting out of here. Its just a big move...kind of scary.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:51 PM

54 posts, read 131,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
I would argue that there is a ton of hiring going on, but at least in my company the recruiters are overwhelmed. It's very competitive since so many people are moving here and looking for work. I haven't heard of someone who wasn't local being hired unless they were recruited by a search agency - that's primarily for exec level positions. And I've never known anyone who was hired based on a resume submitted on the Internet. It's great conceptually, but it doesn't seem to work. I would guess the resumes get lost in the pile - plus the way they print out from those database engines is very hard to read.

But the upside is that there are lots of jobs available, it's just hard to get to them. You have to differentiate yourself somehow; if there is any way you can keep dialing until you can get yourself in front of a recruiter, you're head and shoulders above other candidates. And many of our recruiters are trying to fill up to 50 positions at a time.

And if you have any experience recruiting, there are quite a few recruiter positions open here too!

Good luck!

That's the problem getting in front of someone, the phone interviews are such b.s.

What co. do you work for?

Old 09-29-2007, 02:07 PM

70 posts, read 142,052 times
it's great to see so many people interested in the fort mill area and not at all affected by the FBI's ranking that SC is the #1 state for violent crimes - beating out places like NY and DC. The stats worry me a bit which is why i was wigging out over the comments around the Pleasnt Glenn area. Still nervous and very scared but we're moving ahead full steam. Luckily both my husband and I can relocate and keep our current jobs but I wish the rest of you the best of luck in your search!! I have a few contacts down there at Wachovia, BOA and Deloitte so if you need a name or want to send me a resume feel free.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:06 PM

40 posts, read 87,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post

Good luck!
It absolutely depends on your industry. I'm in Healthcare/IT consulting and 90% of our hires are done via the internet/monster submissions/etc.

It is totally dependent on a huge number of things.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:17 PM

56 posts, read 160,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXJunkie View Post
it's great to see so many people interested in the fort mill area and not at all affected by the FBI's ranking that SC is the #1 state for violent crimes - beating out places like NY and DC. The stats worry me a bit which is why i was wigging out over the comments around the Pleasnt Glenn area. Still nervous and very scared but we're moving ahead full steam. Luckily both my husband and I can relocate and keep our current jobs but I wish the rest of you the best of luck in your search!! I have a few contacts down there at Wachovia, BOA and Deloitte so if you need a name or want to send me a resume feel free.
Don't worry to much about FBI ranking SC the #1 state for violent crime. The majority of violent crimes were reported deeper in SC Columbia, Charleston and some smaller town further south. Believe me i've done extensive reseach on crime data prior to settling on Fort Mill. I'm retiring from the NYC Police dept after 20 yrs of service. I guess for employment i'll settle on security at one of the local college universties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties