U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 AM

57 posts, read 114,461 times

Advertisements

OK, so after agreeing to lease a home in Fort Mill, SC I thought I would ask whether there is anything we shoudl know, any places we should know of or anything we should consider about.. erm... anything at all!

We are excited to make the move from the UK, landing in a couple of weeks with our 3 children(6,4,1) and will be leasing at the cross road of Perrys Ferry / Tybee Drive (although I am a little confused - is Perrys Fry the same as Perrys Ferry?).

So - Anything to tell me? Best parks / eateries / food delivery nearby? Anything to avoid? Anywhere not too safe in the vicinity? Any tips for the best commute to uptown - pubilc transport perhaps? Please don't limit answers to these questions- I have done LOTS of research on Charlotte before accepting the job but I figure there must be things to know about that part of Fort Mill too...

Thanks all - Appreciate all of your help now and in the past! Love this board...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 AM

Hmm - turns out the first piece of advice is to note that they have a separate forum! Oops... well, any advice appreciated

Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 AM

10 posts, read 18,646 times
Great soccer club in Fort Mill... er... football club! lol.''Palmetto United Futbol Club.

Palmetto United FC - Soccer Club - Tega Cay-Fort Mill-Indian Land, South Carolina

Welcome!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Thanks DukeFan - That is great and will give me a fix of 'back home' when I need it! Nice to know the dream I have had since I was a kid of cheering on my sons on the foo.. erm.. soccer field is still alive!

All other comments welcome.. other questions in my mind include:

Is there anything we can walk to? Looks difficult on Google Street Maps as there are no sidewalks?
Who provides internet / gas / electric / water / trash etc and do we have choices?
What are the nearest doctors/dentists like?

Obviously I will research a lot over the next couple of weeks but all thoughts welcome!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 AM

285 posts, read 917,987 times
Welcome! That is a lot of questions. First, I'm not aware of any public transportation from where you will be living to uptown Charlotte. You could drive to Pineville to get on the train, but it probably wouldn't be faster than just driving.

If you do drive, I would suggest taking Springfield Parkway to I-77 North. Going thru downtown Fort Mill would probably be much slower.

There are few great restaurants in Fort Mill, in my opinion. We usually head to Pineville or Rock Hill. If you like Mexican food, try Charanda's both in Fort Mill and Rock Hill (we like the Rock Hill food better). If you are looking for steak try Outback Steakhouse or Longhorns in Rock Hill. We like Jim and Nick's BBQ in the Rivergate area of Charlotte, but that may be something new for you.

Captain Steve's on Hwy 21 is supposed to be great for seafood and steak. Haven't eaten there being a seafood-hater myself, but it is always mobbed when open (just on weekends I think.)

Other than pizza shops, I don't know of any food deliveries.

On the grocery front, you can order your groceries online at Harris Teeter (Hwy 160 W) and at the drive-thru they will load them in your car. The service is very inexpensive at $4.95. During the summer they will shop your order for $1.95. I am more than willing to pay someone $2-5 to save my time buying groceries!

I just found out you can get afternoon tea at Afternoon Tea - Savannah's Room in downtown Fort Mill for a taste of home. I haven't been, of course, because we don't do tea here in the states we all go to Starbucks in Baxter Village for coffee! But someone must do tea or this tea shop wouldn't exist.

The library is located in Baxter Village.

Doctors - we use Shiland Family Medicine at the CMC-Fort Mill location. Dr Truesdale and Dr Pope are both great. Also, since you have children I recommend Dr Michelle Boyne, pediatric dentist, in Rock Hill. They allow the parents in the treatment area with the children unlike Laxer, Long and Savage in Ballantyne.

There is a nice park in downtown Fort Mill and the Greenway is great for outdoor hiking, horse-back riding, etc. http://www.leroysprings.com/default....Close-Greenway

There is also a local Y (formerly YMCA) in Baxter Village. Indoor pool, outdoor water park, gym, sports leagues, summer camps, raquetball, etc. Very nice facility and very affordable rates. http://www.upymca.org/locations/fort-mill/

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by FortMillBound; 07-24-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 PM

Absolutely brilliant FortMillBound! you are right, it is a lot of questions, but then there's a lot to wonder about Plus I just want to hear the thoughts of anyone local... Your response is fantastic and gives me a really lovely list of things to look through, so thank you!

The grocery store idea is brilliant! The Tea room suggestion made me chuckle too - you should go! It looks like it could be fun to try it, although I am not sure what "Mock Devonshire Cream" is and something tells me that you can't get proper clotted cream in the USA so it could be interesting

The Y looks amazing and wonderful value - that's a definite! Cheers FMB!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 PM

812 posts, read 1,653,611 times
Great for kids your age....Discovery Place (uptown Charlotte) and Discovery Place Kids (which is in Huntersville up I 77) science centers/play area and a small aquarium

Yes, you can prob driver easier but mine enjoy riding the Lynx from South Blvd in Pineville like the other poster mentioned.

If you need an indoors place to let them run around several of the malls have soft play areas (pineville Carolina Place, Northlake in Huntersville and Concord Mills) The Ikea also has a place you can drop off older potty trained kids while you shop and get a quick cheap meal!

Carowinds is fun and has a water park. They have a limited number of rides for younger kids.

Haven't been to it but Plaza Fiesta at the Carowinds exit has a big indoor climbing play space if you need to get out of the heat or rain.

I would just get out and explore if you have a car!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM

I remember making the move here from Washington, DC five years ago and my questions were endless. This forum was a big help to me so I try to return the favor.

BTW, mock Devonshire cream sounds WAY more appetizing than "clotted cream" to me - I've only heard the word "clotted" used in relationship to blood, not food! I'm sure the language differences will be entertaining for you.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 PM

I spent 08 and 09 in Chicago so I got used to the language... my Englishness will never die, however, so I will constantly get tripped up All part of the fun! just for you, and because you really need to know...

"Thick cream obtained by heating milk slowly and then allowing it to cool while the cream content rises to the top in coagulated lumps."

Which I believe can't happen in the USA because of the laws on pasteurisation... but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. It just makes the cream extra thick, extra tasty and extra unhealthy.. which when you put it on a scone with jam, is amazing! I suspect that 'Devonshire Cream' is the US way of saying clotted cream, which is from Devon traditionally. But of course without the blood connotations...

Thanks Alise007 - Especially good to know there is an Ikea nearby especially, as we love a family meal out there in England too!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the education - it definitely sounds good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties