Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM

15 posts, read 29,100 times

Advertisements

Hello, Need help!! I'm trying to find an attorney in the area that has dealt with tenant rights...just have a simple question....if anyone hear knows the answer I would be most greatfull!!

I want to know if we are still protected under the SC Residental Landlord and Tentant Act....we broke our lease with our landlord (we actually have only dealt with the property manager in Charlotte) and moved out of the home on May 29th. A New tenant was found and moved in on June 22nd. We paid the June rent up until the 22nd and had the house professionally cleaned and the carpets were are also professionall cleaned. Now they did tell us by breaking the lease we needed to pay the marketing fee of $500.

Our issues...by what I have been reading by SC law they had 30 days from the time we moved out to get us the security deposit or an explanation of deductions (on the day we moved out I provided a letter as well asking for the security deposit and giving them our new address).... it has now bee over 60 days and we still have recieved NOTHING...no letter of explanation of deductions and NO security deposit!

Are we are able to prosue this further even though we broke the lease, but a tenant was found and we paid until the new tenant moved in?? Help I'm sooo frustrated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Sorry, I don't know. Perhaps the Fort Mill Magistrate's Office could help or advise you.

Magistrate

Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 AM

261 posts, read 480,492 times
According to Nolo.com it looks like you just might be on the hook for advertising/marketing fee since you broke your lease.

Breaking a Lease and Leaving Early | Nolo.com. Keep in mind that these are just general but I would guess that SC's laws are pretty close to this.

Good luck! It seem like the law is more on the LL's side since you broke the lease (unless you broke it for a legally justified reason).

Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 AM

157 posts, read 381,156 times
Article 3, 27-40-410 of The South Carolina Code of Laws states:

(b) If the landlord fails to return to the tenant any prepaid rent or security/rental deposit with the notice required to be sent by the landlord pursuant to subsection (a), the tenant may recover the property and money in an amount equal to three times the amount wrongfully withheld and reasonable attorney's fees.

You did not mention if you paid the $500 marketing fee. This is also called an "early termination fee." If you owe them anything, it will be deducted from your deposit. How much was your deposit?

Also, you will owe rent for a 30-day notice. This notice can be verbal or written in South Carolina. If you didn't pay a full 30-days rent, you may have been charged for that, too.

If you dispute the amount owed on the Security Deposit Disposition form when you get it, you can call the Fort Mill Magistrate or the York County Magistrate and ask to talk to any of the judges. They will advise you what to do. It will not cost you anything to seek relief in Magistrate's court, except filing paperwork.

They are required to inform you within 30 days if you owe anything or if they owe you anything. If you owe them anything above what the security deposit does not cover, they can send it to collections after a set period of time (I think 60 days from move-out)

I would get in touch with them as soon as possible. You are leasing in South Carolina, so North Carolina law does not apply if it is in conflict with South Carolina law. Check the lease you have.

You will not be able to recover "damages" because they didn't send you a report of the security deposit disposition because they don't owe you anything.

I'm a licensed property manager, not an attorney.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM

15 posts, read 29,100 times
thank you lovemyroses....I did pay the last 30 days of rent and I expected them to withhold for the $500 marketing fee...but I have no idea why it's taking them this long.....I also have an email from them in June stating "by law we have to send the debosit to you by the end of the month". this DID NOT happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties