Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM

116 posts, read 212,837 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have lived in NC (Raleigh) during my graduate school and worked there for about a year and a half. I then moved to San Diego, CA and I have lived here for about 4 years. I got a call for an interview here. I looked into this area and it seems like a small town albeit its very close to Charlotte. My wife is pregnant and we're expecting a baby in Feb'13.

My question is:
1) How are the people in SC, diversity wise? I'm an Indian (from India) and this factors into my decision.
2) I heard the schools are good. Do they have honors AP classes and programs?
3) Are people from Indian Land, SC able to put their kids in Sandy Ridge schools or Fort mill schools?
4) How would you describe the population in general (conservative/liberal)?

Thanks!

Last edited by codexone; 11-09-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I can partially answer your questions. The elementary school in Indian Land is not particularly diverse. There are less than 1% Asian, 7% Hispanic, 13% Black, and 78% White. The Indian Land High School has a similar ethnic composition, and it has Advanced Placement. The schools in Indian Land are rated 8, 8 and 10 by Great Schools.

The overall ethnic mix in Fort Mill is not very diverse either: 76% White, 17% Black, 3% Hispanic, 1.3% Asian, and a few % other. Of these, only 0.7% are foreign-born, compared to 2.9% foreign-born for all of South Carolina. So, it's majority white and native-born.

There are 4 Indian grocery stores in nearby North Carolina towns, so I assume there are not enough Indian families in Lancaster or York County, South Carolina to support a grocery store.

As far as your question 3, Indian Land High School is in Fort Mill. Indian Land has the same Zip Code as Fort Mill, so I assume it has the same schools. Sandy Ridge doesn't seem to have any schools. Otherwise, I don't know how to answer your question.

As far as your question 4, I will quote the Wash Post: "Firmly a red state, South Carolina has voted Republican in nine of the past 10 elections, and polls leading up to Election Day suggested that 2012 would be no exception. The Palmetto State only voted Democrat in 1976, propelling Jimmy Carter, a southern governor, into the White House."

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-09-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
To answer the OP's original question, I have found the area to be quite diverse: there are people of Scotch/Irish ancestry; German ancestry; Italian ancestry, in the Indian Land area. There are some Black folks too .

As far as Asian families go, it's been my observation that there's a sizable Indian population in South Charlotte. It's common to see Indian families in the local Target store: (7860 Rea Road, Charlotte).

The population in the Fort Mill / Indian Land area trends towards conservatism, while the population in South Charlotte is moderate (with a handful of people of both social/political extremes mixed in).

Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
It is impolite to ask too many personal questions about the locals ...Its sorta like their own business and talking about them rather than talking to them first can be offensive. ..The guy who stole my lawn mower gas can was traced back to living in south charlotte .

Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
While Indian Land and Ft Mill may lean conservative, the greater Charlotte region as a whole is more diverse, and you are right across the border. So other options are easily accessible, but the SC suburbs offer lower taxes and arguably better schools.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codexone View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have lived in NC (Raleigh) during my graduate school and worked there for about a year and a half. I then moved to San Diego, CA and I have lived here for about 4 years. I got a call for an interview here. I looked into this area and it seems like a small town albeit its very close to Charlotte. My wife is pregnant and we're expecting a baby in Feb'13.Congratulations!

My question is:
1) How are the people in SC, diversity wise? I'm an Indian (from India) and this factors into my decision. it is hard to tell from the data but from a local perspective IMO there are quite a few in the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area (many are local business owners)

2) I heard the schools are good. Do they have honors AP classes and programs?I am unable to answer for the other schools but AP classes are offered in the Fort Mill School District (located in York County, SC)

3) Are people from Indian Land, SC able to put their kids in Sandy Ridge schools or Fort mill schools?No, children that live in Indian Land, SC (Lancaster, County) attend schools in Indian Land, SC (Lancaster School District) - Sandy Ridge (I am assuming you are speaking of Sandy Ridge Elementary) is located in Waxhaw, NC (Union County) - Children that attend Fort Mill schools live in York County, SC (which include the town of Fort Mill, Fort Mill Township, and Tega Cay, SC)

4) How would you describe the population in general (conservative/liberal)? that would depend on where you are speaking of in SC or NC - but I think it is safe to say that it would be more conservative than San Diego)

Thanks!
Lancaster County School District - Our Schools Listing

Fort Mill School District - York 4 - Homepage

UCPS - All Schools Directory

Old 11-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I can partially answer your questions. The elementary school in Indian Land is not particularly diverse. There are less than 1% Asian, 7% Hispanic, 13% Black, and 78% White. The Indian Land High School has a similar ethnic composition, and it has Advanced Placement. The schools in Indian Land are rated 8, 8 and 10 by Great Schools.

The overall ethnic mix in Fort Mill is not very diverse either: 76% White, 17% Black, 3% Hispanic, 1.3% Asian, and a few % other. Of these, only 0.7% are foreign-born, compared to 2.9% foreign-born for all of South Carolina. So, it's majority white and native-born.

There are 4 Indian grocery stores in nearby North Carolina towns, so I assume there are not enough Indian families in Lancaster or York County, South Carolina to support a grocery store.

As far as your question 3, Indian Land High School is in Fort Mill.This is incorrect. Indian Land High School is located in Indian Land, SC (Lancaster County, SC) NOT in Fort Mill, SC Indian Land has the same Zip Code as Fort Mill, so I assume it has the same schools.Also incorrect. Indian Land and Fort Mill are located in two different counties (Indian Land is Lancaster County - Fort Mill is York County) Indian Land students attend schools within the Lancaster School District - Fort Mill / Tega Cay students attend the Fort Mill School District. The confusion has to do with Indian Land not having their own post office. So Indian Land uses a Fort Mill zip code (while it is still a FM zip code if you see 29707 that will be Indian Land) - Fort Mill and Tega Cay have zip codes 29708 and 29715 Sandy Ridge doesn't seem to have any schools. Otherwise, I don't know how to answer your question.

As far as your question 4, I will quote the Wash Post: "Firmly a red state, South Carolina has voted Republican in nine of the past 10 elections, and polls leading up to Election Day suggested that 2012 would be no exception. The Palmetto State only voted Democrat in 1976, propelling Jimmy Carter, a southern governor, into the White House."
Fort Mill School District - York 4

Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
It is impolite to ask too many personal questions about the locals ...Its sorta like their own business and talking about them rather than talking to them first can be offensive. ..The guy who stole my lawn mower gas can was traced back to living in south charlotte .
What?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Thanks for straightening out my confusion. Are the Fort Mill (York) schools significantly better than the Indian Land (Lancaster) schools?

Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 AM

116 posts, read 212,837 times
Thanks a lot you guys for all the answers. Fort Mill looks like a charming little place with access to Charlotte. I also heard that fort mill is going to vote on some annexation that will double its size? Is that Indian land? What is going to happen to the schools? Are they going to be under unified system like the San Diego schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties