Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM

107 posts, read 319,593 times

Advertisements

Wow, here I thought I was the only one thinking "Great, just what the area needed...". Look, I'm all for business, especially small mom and pop stores. However, there are some talking points I would like to make:

1.) Indian Land is a corridor town. 521 is the life of IL and the development that occurs there will dictate the path Lancaster can take towards future prosperity.

2.) Nothing good comes from title loan, car washes, gas stations, and liquor stores. Short term gains is not (imho) worth the long term blight.

3.) There was already a paid commission study done on the corridor which proposed the opposite of what Lancaster has approved. US 521/SC 9 Corridor Study - Lancaster County, SC*

I love wasting money on a study which wont be followed. Read the guiding principals portion of the study to see what I'm talking about (ch 3 pg 18).

4.) Future business growth is moving away from what we used to know as traditional strip mall type commercial space into a concentrated mix of residential/office/retail space. There are several examples of where this works great in the local area.

5.) Best part, it doesn't matter what the residents of IL say. Lancaster council doesn't seem to care and will continue to look for ANY business that is willing to add to the coffers and contribute to the growth of Lancaster as a whole. Sacrificing an area may be worth it in their minds if it builds up the entire locale.

I look forward to Independence Blvd 2!

Independence Boulevard - Charlotte - Reviews of Independence Boulevard - TripAdvisor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,004 times
muskratlove you are 100% correct Cherry Road and Independence. We need a handle on the Zoning that everyone has been complaining about and County Council will do nothing about. They want the money and they could careless what comes. I could not believe it last night when my wife and I came down 521 and they changed the billboard at 160 to a double sided digital billboard. Turning it another step closer to Independence. The used carlots in front yards are a joke. I do not know one person from our area that has purchased a car from these places.

Also Youngs was doing just fine in business. Mr Young was offered more money then he could walk away from. That came directly from his mouth to me.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM

103 posts, read 144,292 times
This is why hillbillys shouldn't be in charge of anything.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
NEWSFLASH!

The front page of the Carolinas Gateway newspaper lists new places going into the Cross Creek shopping area (Publix complex)

These are definite:
Super Cuts Nail Salon
Mama's Pizza
Dunkin' Donuts w/drive thru

These are not quite definite:
Salsaritas
Baskin-Robbins

Really people! How in the little green earth can we possibly justify ANOTHER nail salon and pizza place!! This is totally ridiculous! And although I do like Dunkin' much more than KK, I really don't need either one of them. Wow, pizza, ice cream, donuts and Mexican. If this is all the better we can come up with, we are doomed. Give me a Panera, give me an Olive Garden, give me ANYTHING other than another stupid nail salon, pizza place or anything else we don't already have 5 or 6 of!!! Gee, where's the sub joint???

Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 AM

218 posts, read 523,050 times
I like the DD that's for sure!!! I could take or leave the rest. I am not that upset about these choices since you aren't likely going to get anything more exciting for strip mall slots. The issues is what shows up on the pads away from the store, same with the Harris Teeter by Sun City and all the vacant pads around the Lowes. I'm still holding onto hope that the Sunday alcohol sales will finally draw in some casual dining.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
NEWSFLASH!

The front page of the Carolinas Gateway newspaper lists new places going into the Cross Creek shopping area (Publix complex)

These are definite:
Super Cuts Nail Salon
Mama's Pizza
Dunkin' Donuts w/drive thru

These are not quite definite:
Salsaritas
Baskin-Robbins

Really people! How in the little green earth can we possibly justify ANOTHER nail salon and pizza place!! This is totally ridiculous! And although I do like Dunkin' much more than KK, I really don't need either one of them. Wow, pizza, ice cream, donuts and Mexican. If this is all the better we can come up with, we are doomed. Give me a Panera, give me an Olive Garden, give me ANYTHING other than another stupid nail salon, pizza place or anything else we don't already have 5 or 6 of!!! Gee, where's the sub joint???
Unreal That is exactly what is across the road by Food Lion. All we need now is another Chinese Take out place and it's a carbon copy. Someone has to do something.....

Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Unreal That is exactly what is across the road by Food Lion. All we need now is another Chinese Take out place and it's a carbon copy. Someone has to do something.....
That doesn't even count the area behind the Gate that is DIRECTLY across from Publix. Pizza and I think there is a nail salon there as well. Reminds me of the Walgreens/CVS grouping. Find one, find the other.

Which reminds me........In the past couple of days I have had absolutely horrible experiences at the Indian Land Walgreen's. Rudeness and incompetence on 2 different days. I virtually refuse to go into CVS due to the same thing there. BUT, I went over to the Walgreen's on Cuthbertson Rd. in Waxhaw and it was totally different. Very helpful, very nice, and goes out of their way to do both. I am changing pharmacies from WalMart (MUCH better pricing with the Walgreen's Pharmacy Discount Club....I have no Rx insurance or government program), and I decided that it was worth my time and effort to drive 5 miles to Waxhaw and give them my business since it would only be once every 3 months. I encourage people to use that location over the more local, but very rude one closer. Shame, though, that I had to go to not only a different county, but state as well. Sad about that but I will not tolerate rudeness and incompetence when it comes to spending my hard earned cash.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM

205 posts, read 647,408 times
As has already been touched on in this thread, Indian Land is the profit center for the entire county tax-wise. They will approve as many businesses, neighborhoods, etc as they can in this area to maximize revenue for the rest of the county. The County Council, Planning Commission, etc. could care less what IL residents think- the more tax $$ the better as far as they are concerned. IL is Lancaster County's "Cash Cow".

Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM
DBF

78 posts, read 186,379 times
I live in Bridgemill and am torn about the changes. I was used to being closer to shopping where we lived before but hate the traffic on 521 these days. I was very happy when Walmart and surrounding stores went in...very convenient. Aldi's is also a plus. I am sure the addition of the liquor superstore is because we are so close to NC and SC liguor is cheaper but I am loyal to Southern Spirits. I do hope we get some more decent restaurants now that the liquor law has passed. I did hear that a potential Super Target and a Cracker Barrel near the Publix. Now Target would be convenient! I too was sad Young's closed but happy to know they went out by choice and with a great offer. I did hear KFC? Not sure that is thrilling.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times
I can't imagine a Cracker Barrel on this side of town since it's not near an interstate and not in the heavily travelled areas that they typically put them. Target, IMO would just be another copy of what we have....like another liquor store.

But then again on Rea rd you have 2 Targets, and 2 Harris Teeters right down the road from each other so apparently I know nothing about city planning.

It just ticks me off riding down 521 from Hwy 160 south. Since someone here mentioned the used car lots, I'm starting to take notice of how horrible the planning / zoning is. What's the deal with that motorcycle club looking place by the Autobell? It has a marquis sign out front with a derogatory message about the police, I think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties