Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM

7 posts, read 30,208 times

Advertisements

I've been working in Baxter Village for almost 2 years now. Been driving from my parents in Mint Hill every day. Looking to make to move to something more convenient to work some time soon now. I've looked up quite a few places online. I stopped in and talked to the people at Millcrest and Peachtree. Both seem nice and are close to Baxter. Any opinions on these 2? Also, any other good places in the Fort Mill area that you would recommend? I don't have an exact price range, but I'm trying to stay as cheap as I can without being in a crappy place. I appreciate any info you all have. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM

19 posts, read 72,708 times
I currently live in Millcrest Park and would highly recommend it. My rent is definitely more than I paid when living in Rock Hill (about $950 when you figure in water/sewer for a 2-bed, 2 bath), but I love it more than any apartment I have ever lived in. There are a lot of young families and couples that live here; you don't find a lot of partying college-age students, which is a plus when you have to get up in the morning to work!

It's a really safe environment with super nice neighbors, an attentive staff, and valet trash! Yes, I did say valet trash- for no additional charge, Millcrest hires a staff to come around and pick up your garbage as long as you put it out in front of your apartment. Our air stopped working back in July, and it was fixed within two hours of reporting the problem. We can never hear our neighbors through the walls.

There's also a 24/7 gym that is REALLY nice to take advantage of. I use it all the time.

I don't know much about Peachtree, but I remember that when I was younger, a lot of people lived there as a "transitional" place if they were building homes in Fort Mill. I'm not sure it would be the best environment for a young professional like you. I love Millcrest.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Millcrest really does sound like a great community. Any idea what kind of salary it would take to rent a 1 bedroom here? Rent just seems ridiculously high these days.

I'm also considering getting a roommate and renting a house around here. I'm finding small houses for rent at the same price as a 1 bedroom apartment at Millcrest and other places.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
That is a really hard question to answer without knowing what other financial commitments you have like bills or car note.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM

19 posts, read 72,708 times
I agree with Jake Ryan that it's hard to say without knowing what other commitments you have. I consider myself to live a comfortable but frugal lifestyle (going out to eat a couple of times per week, not going "without" anything I really want or need but not splurging all the time) and can comfortably afford my rent each month on a salary in the mid-30s. I also split it with someone else, so we each pay arounf 500 per month with utilities. Rock Hill has much more affordable rent but you would also have to figure in the cost of gas with a commute.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachlikeyourhairsonfire View Post
I agree with Jake Ryan that it's hard to say without knowing what other commitments you have. I consider myself to live a comfortable but frugal lifestyle (going out to eat a couple of times per week, not going "without" anything I really want or need but not splurging all the time) and can comfortably afford my rent each month on a salary in the mid-30s. I also split it with someone else, so we each pay arounf 500 per month with utilities. Rock Hill has much more affordable rent but you would also have to figure in the cost of gas with a commute.
I don't have any crazy debt or anything and a low car payment because I put money down. I may have to get a 1 bedroom though, so that's going to make things more expensive. Peachtree has lower 1 BR prices and Millcrest and Peachtree are both pretty close on 2 bedroom stuff. If I have to get a 1 BR by myself, I'm going to have to pay more than you. $200 more in rent per month and all utilities myself instead of split also. That will make it harder. So I feel like I could definitely do it with a roommate, but not so sure about on my own. Do you feel like you could afford it without a roommate right now?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,102,740 times
Is there anywhere to live in the area,
so you can get by without using a car everyday?

In other words, which apartment in the area has the "most wakable" neighborhood?

(I am a semi-retired investor who HATES cars.)

Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Is there anywhere to live in the area,
so you can get by without using a car everyday?

In other words, which apartment in the area has the "most wakable" neighborhood?

(I am a semi-retired investor who HATES cars.)
No.

At best would be Millcrest, which is in walking distance of an Aldi's, an Ice Cream Parlor, and within .5 miles are two shopping centers and McDonalds.

If you don't mind renting a townhome (which can be a more expensive route over a traditional apartment), renting in Baxter Village might be an option.

Yet your best bet for a walkable neighborhood would be something in CLT - preferably in Dilworth.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,102,740 times
Thanks, kindly, NDL

I am investigating Baxter now. (Aldis and McD, don't do it for me, at all.)
But I truly wish there were MORE FREQUENT BUSES.

Not owning a car might save me $8,000-9,000 per year,
which helps out plenty with the rent.

But I don't want to be stranded.

I might buy one or two townhouses somewhere, maybe even Baxter.
Living in Hong Kong and owning a property has allowed me to build capital in a way that I never would have been able to do in Car-Addicted America. My small HK property is now worth a little over 7-figures, and if I sell it (as planned), then almost anywhere in the US looks cheap.

But I don't want to get stuck in a car-owning rut, which I escaped from years ago, when I left Detroit, and became a Global citizen, and learned the virtues of walking, and commuting in a smart city that encourages that.

Honestly, it is time that the country of my birth ditched the useless wheels-addiction, and started getting people out of their cars, and stopped sending all those Dollars overseas to foreign oil producers.

(Please excuse the rant. I will move it onto a New Thread, to encourage discussion.)

Last edited by Geologic; 02-01-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
But I don't want to get stuck in a car-owning rut, which I escaped from years ago, when I left Detroit, and became a Global citizen, and learned the virtues of walking, and commuting in a smart city that encourages that.

Honestly, it is time that the country of my birth ditched the useless wheels-addiction, and started getting people out of their cars, and stopped sending all those Dollars overseas to foreign oil producers.
There's no graceful way to lead into this. To be frank:

You really ought to look at Charlotte - specifically Dilworth - which is a *much* better fit in accommodating both your lifestyle, and worldview.

Charlotte is a city that actually promotes the lifestyle you've become accustomed to. Charlotte has been incorporating dedicated bike lanes in their roadways; now offers bike rentals in several locations, and abounds in an excellent park system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties