U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 PM

91 posts, read 103,895 times

Advertisements

Morningstar Files Protective Order Against York County | News, Weather, Sport, Entertainment, Contests - WCCB Charlotte | Local News

Interesting story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 02:29 AM

9,188 posts, read 5,102,053 times
MorningStar doesn't have a law suit ... York County has been working with them for years. This started in 2004 and it is now 2013 and MorningStar has done absolutely nothing to the tower.

In 2007 York County Council approved MorningStar's request to expand tower.

MorningStar to expand tower | Homepage | Rock Hill Herald Online

In 2010 ... three years later MorningStar offers plan to York County Council to save the tower.

YORK COUNTY: Ministry offers plan to save Fort Mill tower | Featured Stories | Rock Hill Herald Online

In 2012 ... two more years pass by ... MorningStar presents improvement plan to York County Council. The agreement between MorningStar and the York County Council back in 2007 was ... MorningStar Ministries would have six months from the time York County Council approves their plans to prove they have the money to turn the uncompleted 20-story tower into a senior citizens' high-rise, according to a development agreement.

FORT MILL: Owners of blighted Fort Mill tower to present plan | Featured Stories | Rock Hill Herald Online

If the ministry can't show they have the money, the draft version of the agreement calls for demolition of the tower at their expense.

Nine years later the tower is still standing there, falling apart. The majority of the citizens are not happy with the York County Council for not enforcing the demolition of the building. MorningStar has been given ample time.

I don't see a lawsuit possible when the York County Council has bent over backwards to accommodate MorningStar. Of course the county wants to see the financial records to ascertain if the money was there to refurbish the tower. The council has been criticized for letting this drag out as long as it has.

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 04-26-2013 at 02:39 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 AM

180 posts, read 224,261 times
It's shocking that a vacant building can stand there in that shape for what 30 years? Unreal.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 AM

529 posts, read 690,222 times
I will never understand buying a house that is in plain view of the tower, knowing it is there and has been and then complaining that it is an eyesore. I agree something has to be done with it either renovate or tear down. Hopefully with the turn in the housing market that can happen.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM

91 posts, read 103,895 times
I hope Morningstar pays all their back taxes and then leaves! And demolish that tower!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM

87 posts, read 65,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
I will never understand buying a house that is in plain view of the tower, knowing it is there and has been and then complaining that it is an eyesore. I agree something has to be done with it either renovate or tear down. Hopefully with the turn in the housing market that can happen.
well it is more of an eye sore now than it was in the 90's..before bricks started falling off, trees growing on the roof, etc.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 AM

745 posts, read 1,468,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
I agree. Why would you ever buy over there and then complain about it....unbelievable.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:16 PM

9,188 posts, read 5,102,053 times
I just think it is ridiculous that York County has been working with MorningStar since 2004 and nothing has been done on MorningStar's part ... now a lawsuit?????

I don't know of any other company the county has made so many concessions for ... just MorningStar and that darn tower.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM

37 posts, read 36,771 times
even if they have the money, a large sky scraper type building does not belong in a town like this. Why would they not want a low rise pretty building that flowed with everything else? I also think they are completely selfish to make so many unhappy in the community, they are supposed to be a Christian organization right? "Do unto others" means keep an eyesore that I guarantee they would not want in their yards themselves! At least the castle is gone.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,309,610 times
The tower was there before all the houses so, I dont see an issue with the tower as long as it gets used for something. None of that development would of been there, people knew it was there, so stop bitching about how its there. The REAL issue is the county wont do anything about holding Morningstar accountable. Seems like theres some shady business going on, otherwise it would either be fixed up or demolished. Ive been told the building is structurally sound and is safe to go inside, but the bricks falling off is more cosmetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties