Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,165 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm moving up from ATL and finally closed in on an area - Clover/Lake Wylie area -that we like. Can anyone tell me how far it is from shopping (Malls, etc), and of course - good ole Wal-Mart. Also, (I'm full of questions) does anyone know how long the commute would be to Gastonia, NC. Is there a marina that has open slips (we don't have water in Atlanta anymore - do you? How far is it to ski places and how far to any ocean water. Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh - and does anyone know if there are stores like: Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Ross and where can I find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM

392 posts, read 1,183,454 times
Hi brookwood,

Good luck on the upcoming move. You might get more answers if you post this question in the York County forum, as Clover and Lake Wylie are in York County. You will find much helpful info in that forum.

RE a couple of your questions... For shopping you only have to head east from Lake Wylie on Route 49 over to where it intersects with Rt 160 - there is plentiful shopping there (Target, Best Buy, etc., etc.) Not very far. Check the various stores' websites you listed, using Lake Wylie as your location, and you should be able to pull the location of those stores up pretty easily. There may be one or more of the ones you are looking for at the location I just described. I can't remember exactly what all is there at that shopping center.

Not sure what Gastonia offers as far as shopping. The commute there will depend on just where you need to go in Gastonia. My guestimate would be 25 minutes or so, again depending on where you need to go, and time of day. It is only about 12 miles from the center of Clover to the center of Gastonia.

I am unknown as to marinas with slips. We are in bad drought right now. Lake levels are low. For skiing, look into the mountains of NC, about 2.5 hours away from the Clover area (ski resorts such as Beech Mountain, Sugar Mountain, Appalachian, Cataloochee, Wolf Ridge). I'd estimate you are about 4 hours away from beaches in the Charleston, SC vicinity.

Again, good luck, and welcome.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
Can you let us know where in Clover you will be located. Clover actually stretches from Lake Wylie (Buster Boyd Bridge) all the way through the town of Clover. It depends on your exact location to provide you with the proper info. Depending on location, you might want to go to Gastonia or into Mecklenberg County, NC.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:01 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
Default Boat Slips

Sorry I forgot to reply to available boat slips in the previous message. Currently boat slips are at a premium on Lake Wylie. This is not due to the drought, but to the number of boaters on the lake. Most, if not all, the marinas and dry stack have waiting lists for available slips. Currently all the public boat launches are closed due to the drought. I live on the water and I have been unable to get my boat off the lift since August. When the drought lifts you will be able to use the public launches. Buster Boyd Bridge, Allison Creek, Copperhead Island to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties