Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 13,899 times

Advertisements

Hi there.
My family and I may be relocating to the Fort Mill area because of my husband's job. I am a stay-at-home mother of a 3 yr. old. I am looking for some information. Of course community and schools are very important to us. Also, close to area attractions would be a plus being that I wouldn't know a soul after moving. After doing some blind reaserch I have been drawn to the town of Tega Cay and also the neighborhood of Baxter Village in Ft. Mill. Can anyone give me any thoughts on these areas. Also, any information on Rock Hill. I would be greatful for any information you are willing to give. This is a very scary move for me and I want to make sure we end up in a very nice/friendly place. We will be moving from Portland OR. Our price range is $300K-$425K
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Schools in Fort Mill are excellent unles syou have special needs children. You will be close to Carowinds in Fort Mill (owned by Cedar Point) which is a decent amusement park. Charlotte is right next door and has tons of attractions as does the entire region. BV is ok for some, not for others. FM overall is a really nice place to live. It's growing, but unlike other area towns, it is managing to keep some of the small town identity. There is also a 2300 acre nature preserve in the middle of Fort Mill, and two state parks, a botanical garden and more in driving distance. Rock Hill is a city and feels like it. Thre are nice partsbut also some rough ones. Winthrop Univ is there too which is good.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:10 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Schools in Fort Mill are excellent unles syou have special needs children. You will be close to Carowinds in Fort Mill (owned by Cedar Point) which is a decent amusement park. Charlotte is right next door and has tons of attractions as does the entire region. BV is ok for some, not for others. FM overall is a really nice place to live. It's growing, but unlike other area towns, it is managing to keep some of the small town identity. There is also a 2300 acre nature preserve in the middle of Fort Mill, and two state parks, a botanical garden and more in driving distance. Rock Hill is a city and feels like it. Thre are nice partsbut also some rough ones. Winthrop Univ is there too which is good.
groove1 - just wondering what your source of information is in regard to the FM schools not being excellent if a child has special needs?

Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,646 times
There is a great forum to sign up with if you are moving to York County.

It's only for moms who live in York Co.

So maybe you can get a head start finding friends

Yorkcountymommies.com

Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHames View Post
Hi there.
My family and I may be relocating to the Fort Mill area because of my husband's job. I am a stay-at-home mother of a 3 yr. old. I am looking for some information. Of course community and schools are very important to us. Also, close to area attractions would be a plus being that I wouldn't know a soul after moving. After doing some blind reaserch I have been drawn to the town of Tega Cay and also the neighborhood of Baxter Village in Ft. Mill. Can anyone give me any thoughts on these areas. Also, any information on Rock Hill. I would be greatful for any information you are willing to give. This is a very scary move for me and I want to make sure we end up in a very nice/friendly place. We will be moving from Portland OR. Our price range is $300K-$425K
Thank you!

Hey there BHames - My family and I happen to live in Tega Cay, SC (job relocation from CA) for close to 4 years now (and we are very happy with our choice). Our children attend school within the FMSD (and love it).

We are very familiar with Portland. My husband is originally from Portland, OR (in fact he will be there next week ).

It really will boil down to what feels right for you and your family (as you will not have a problem finding something within your price range). Both Tega Cay and Baxter Village are both family/kid friendly (but I might add...there are others within FM that are too).

Not sure if you have had a chance to look at this as of yet - but there is a lot of valuable information that can be obtained from this site by using the "Search" feature (located above).

Best of luck with your search and if I can be of help of anyway...please feel free to ask away.

LTC

p.s. there is a great source of information on the area that you can have sent to you...just go to the Fort Mill Times (Fort Mill Times – Your Life, Your Times) and you will see the Newcomers Magazine (it covers: Fort Mill, Tega Cay, and Indian Land)

Fort Mill Times — Focus on Fort Mill (broken link)

Old 11-08-2007, 03:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
groove1 - just wondering what your source of information is in regard to the FM schools not being excellent if a child has special needs?
Fort Mill Times — Special needs programs challenged (broken link)

Old 11-08-2007, 03:58 PM

622 posts, read 1,782,868 times
If you are relocating with Frieghtliner, please PM me as we are the realtors of choice for Freightliner relocation. I relocated from the San Francisco area 7 years ago and can give you the pros and cons I experienced.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Fort Mill Times — Special needs programs challenged (broken link)
I had a feeling this is where your information was coming from....but wanted to just make sure first.
I was rather surprised to read your answer today...due to the fact that..back in May you said you had just read something that said the FMSD was excellent with special needs chidren?

The above article you reference has to do with one Mother that has brought forth these accusations. I am not here to say I agree or disagree with this situation...but I would hate to throw the whole school districts special needs programs under the bus..until I had all the facts first.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 PM

39 posts, read 179,546 times
I hear Tega City is nice. Rock Hill is nice also. York is very small town-no shopping

Old 11-09-2007, 04:49 AM

14 posts, read 55,856 times
The schools in Fort Mill are not supportive if you have special needs children. For example, if you have a child under the autism spectrum - they can't and won't provide support and if you have a child with hearing problems - they won't meet their needs either example, they bought Assistive Technology devices months ago and have not started using them yet. This is not isolated, it is a district and state wide problem.

The schools are great if you have children without any extra needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties