Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 PM

25 posts, read 33,167 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself and ask you all about your area! My husband is a US citizen , I am Irish and we are hoping to move over. We have been looking at Charleston but wanted to expand our search as jobwise things are not moving as quickly as we would've liked. So I have been looking at living around the Fort Mill area as my husband's jobsearch has widened to Charlotte now. Can anyone give me specific areas to look at to include great schools, family friendly and low crime areas? From what I have read here Indian Land is a good spot. What about farther out in York and Lancaster? Would they be very rural, or suburban. (That's probably too general a question!)Please excuse my ignorance , I am only starting my search in this area but it does look fantastic so any info would be great. In terms of work, there may be more options but I think the problem ( as the recruitment agencies tell us ) is that you have to be there to get employment. I completely understand this but hard to give up a great job here to go to nothing if you know what I mean! Thanks to you all!

Last edited by mrsco; 08-19-2013 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM

4,265 posts, read 6,252,865 times
Do a search on the York/Lancaster forum - a lot of people have asked for the same information and a lot has already been posted.

Just a few threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...e-sc-best.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...-question.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...ll-waxhaw.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...-opinions.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...der-towns.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...er-county.html

Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM

15,704 posts, read 9,409,420 times
I suspect the questions you have have been answered by folks better equipped than I, but I would say tis: if your husband finds a job in Charlotte, the Fort Mill/Rock Hill/Indian land area is a pretty good area to look at to live in. I have many friendswho swear by Fort Mill as a place to live and a place to send the children to school. One new friend moved down from new Jersey and loves it here. I am from Lancaster and worked in both Rock Hill and Charlotte for a time and it is very nice.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,181,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsco View Post
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself and ask you all about your area! My husband is a US citizen , I am Irish and we are hoping to move over. We have been looking at Charleston but wanted to expand our search as jobwise things are not moving as quickly as we would've liked. So I have been looking at living around the Fort Mill area as my husband's jobsearch has widened to Charlotte now. Can anyone give me specific areas to look at to include great schools, family friendly and low crime areas? From what I have read here Indian Land is a good spot. What about farther out in York and Lancaster? Would they be very rural, or suburban. (That's probably too general a question!)Please excuse my ignorance , I am only starting my search in this area but it does look fantastic so any info would be great. In terms of work, there may be more options but I think the problem ( as the recruitment agencies tell us ) is that you have to be there to get employment. I completely understand this but hard to give up a great job here to go to nothing if you know what I mean! Thanks to you all!

Welcome mrsco,

I am always so curious how people pick a location such as South Carolina/North Carolina that they want to move to (sight unseen) especially someone that lives so far away (not expecting you to answer...just find it interesting).

Anyway you can check out schools, and compare at the following websites:

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools
South Carolina Department of Education

Personally (if I were you) I wouldn't even dig to deep into areas as of yet. The reason is...you have no idea if or when or where your husband will obtain employment. Charlotte and the surrounding areas/towns/cities can be very spread out so if your husband ended up getting a job on the opposite side of Charlotte I doubt that he would want to make this commute (then all your search is for not).

Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 AM

25 posts, read 33,167 times
This is great info, thanks so much! We visited south carolina last year on holiday and absolutely loved it! We have relatives there aswell who recommended looking into living here as we knew we wanted to relocate to the States. In terms of employment , the pressure is really on now because I was approved for my greencard but my husband has to find employment before we can go and we only have until March to do this . Actually he has to find employment before that and build up a few months payslips. Anyway he has been looking since last March in the Charleston area but no joy. Then there was an article about Fort Mill in the paper saying it was a top destination to live , family oriented, schools etc.. so I have been researching this area aswell..but I agree with you about not getting bogged down in the areas. (But I do love what I'm seeing in Fort Mill ) Anyway I'm sure I'll be annoying you with more questions, thanks for all your answers so far

Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 AM

4,265 posts, read 6,252,865 times
I agree with lovesthecarolinas - if you husband gets a job in the University area of Charlotte you may not want to live in FM because it's a much longer commute. Living north of Charlotte would be better.

If he comes here without you to begin working, he can always rent a short-term rental before figuring out where you two can begin househunting. That's what we did when we moved here in 2006 from New Jersey. We rented a small apartment in Rock Hill, put all our stuff in storage, and spent several months working (I was fortunate enough to get a job a week after we moved here), getting to know the area, and househunting. The timing was perfect and we moved into our house the same week our short-term rental lease was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties