Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:01 PM

34 posts, read 100,078 times

Advertisements

DH & I are looking at a few houses in Rock Hill.. but when we started reading the newspaper in the area.. We are a little concerned about the crime that's been reported lately.

Could someone tell us something good about the town? Or if you have something not-so-good, please share.

We are empty nesters, school systems are not a concern.. but a safe area is.

We hope we did not offend anyone as that was not our intention - just need some imput as we know no one in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 9,952 times
Default Good neighborhoods in Rock Hill

I was just getting on to post a similar question as Tessa as I too have been reading some negative things about Rock Hill recently. We are looking to relocate to Ft. Mill/Rock Hill and have found some nice looking houses in our price range (150K) all over Rock Hill. For some reason I'm being drawn to the north end of town. Close to the lake, close to the road to Ft. Mill, nice houses.

My questions: How is the area north of Celanese Rd between the road and the lake (and around the airport)? We have a child so we are concerned about schools (although that's still a few years off). Do you recommend any other nice neighborhoods where we could get between 1500-2000 feet for 150K (not townhomes please)? I would like an easy commute to north Ft. Mill. Are there total areas to avoid, or is it neighborhood specific?

Thank you all! You are invaluable to a person looking to relocate from across the country!!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 AM

25 posts, read 84,324 times
Talking Rock Hill

Wife and I have lived in Rock Hill for about 18 months now and love it. We have two pre-school age children who will be attending York Road Elem. School report cards just came out and York Road ranked very well. We love our neighborhood. Have NEVER seen a sign of crime, at least where we live. People are very nice. Obviously not as much shopping as Charlotte but certainly everything you need on a day to day basis. Nothing but more nice things coming as Charlotte continues to expand. The old Celenese plant at I-77 and Exit 82 has been torn down and will be turned into retail and downtown area has/is being refurbished. We really like Rock Hill and you can get so much more house for the money compared to Fort Mll it is insane. Take advantag while you can!!

New life for old buildings - Charlotte Business Journal:

Old 11-15-2007, 08:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
My fiance's family have lived there for 10 years not far from bmd and that is a really nice area (Swan Meadows near India Hook and Celanese). Crime is concentrated in certain areas in RH.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM

34 posts, read 100,078 times
Thanks for the responses. Seattlegirl - great minds think alike!

We first started looking in the Charlotte area, but moved our search towards Tega Cay and now are expanding our search. Rock Hill definitely seems to have a more economical cost for homes as we will be semi-retiring in the next year. (moving out of CT, as the taxes are killing us!; finding employment - which we do not see as a problem).

groove.. you said that crime is concentrated in certain areas of Rock Hill.. could you expand on that a bit? How is the Hollis Lake Road area?

Thanks agian...
and BTW, I do find it in bad taste to "advertise" a real estate agency. In the future, it might be a great idea to PM the information - it's more personal, IMHO.

edited to add.. Mallard Creek.. anyone have any info on this?

Last edited by TessaCT; 11-15-2007 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: to add Mallard Creek subdivision

Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Its fairly quiet where I live. The neighbor are also quiet. Can't complain

Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
You will know the bad areas of RH when you see them. One is one one side of Winthrop University. Don't know aout Hollis Lakes. RH is basically more like a city than FM or TC. Most of it has been established for a long time so there isnt too much room for new subdivisions.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:59 AM

268 posts, read 1,108,587 times
We moved here from the DC area 4 months ago..

Love it!!

Close to almost anything you need.

Good luck

Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 AM

251 posts, read 1,128,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
You will know the bad areas of RH when you see them. One is one one side of Winthrop University. Don't know aout Hollis Lakes. RH is basically more like a city than FM or TC. Most of it has been established for a long time so there isnt too much room for new subdivisions.
Are you kidding? There are new subdivisions all over Rock Hill. The city is growing very rapidly, as well as the surrounding area.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Take a drive, their all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties