Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,741 times

Advertisements

Its quite simple: Publix wants to dominate the grocery business in the area. They want to beat Harris Teeter badly, and they will do anything to accomplish that. When they announced they were building in Tega Cay and Indian land, Food Lion in Tega Cay bailed. Lowe's Foods and Harris Teeter made a deal, as Lowe's Foods knew it couldnt compete, and it wanted no part of it, while Harris Teeter wants to compete and wants all the land and retail space it can get.

Same with Bi-Lo. Publix wanted to make a big run at the area. Im sure they went to Bi-Lo and made them aware they were going to expand. Bi-Lo knew they wouldnt be able to compete head to head, and didnt want to go down the same road Food Lion went. Bi-Lo also knew Piggly Wiggly and Belle Foods was having money issues, so why not expand into areas where Publix isnt using the money Publix gave you to buy the 7 stores? It makes perfect business sense. Bi-Lo could of lasted a few years and then lost money and had to shutter stores the hard way. This way, they got a infusion of cash, got some nice properties on the coast and elsewhere in smaller towns, and wont be head to head with Publix.

I know some people just dont understand that, but its the game thats going to be played. Harris Teeter will step up their game 10 fold once Kroger buys them out, and Publix will refuse to back down. It will be an all out grocery war, while Bi-Lo took the high road and will watch from a far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Its quite simple: Publix wants to dominate the grocery business in the area. They want to beat Harris Teeter badly, and they will do anything to accomplish that. When they announced they were building in Tega Cay and Indian land, Food Lion in Tega Cay bailed. Lowe's Foods and Harris Teeter made a deal, as Lowe's Foods knew it couldnt compete, and it wanted no part of it, while Harris Teeter wants to compete and wants all the land and retail space it can get.

Same with Bi-Lo. Publix wanted to make a big run at the area. Im sure they went to Bi-Lo and made them aware they were going to expand. Bi-Lo knew they wouldnt be able to compete head to head, and didnt want to go down the same road Food Lion went. Bi-Lo also knew Piggly Wiggly and Belle Foods was having money issues, so why not expand into areas where Publix isnt using the money Publix gave you to buy the 7 stores? It makes perfect business sense. Bi-Lo could of lasted a few years and then lost money and had to shutter stores the hard way. This way, they got a infusion of cash, got some nice properties on the coast and elsewhere in smaller towns, and wont be head to head with Publix.

I know some people just dont understand that, but its the game thats going to be played. Harris Teeter will step up their game 10 fold once Kroger buys them out, and Publix will refuse to back down. It will be an all out grocery war, while Bi-Lo took the high road and will watch from a far.
Absolutely correct assessment, in my opinion. Smaller chains like Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie, and Piggly Wiggly are struggling and swapping stores with Harris Teeter and Publix to optimize locations and remain viable. Food Lion is being squeezed. Kroger/Harris Teeter and Publix will dominate the high end, with Walmart and Aldi at the lower.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Why is BiLo forsaking their store in Lake Wylie; purchasing, and moving into, the small, cramped, Piggly Wiggly store, in the seldom traveled town of Clover?

???

Does BiLo think there are enough people in the lovely, but small, town of Clover, to sustain it?

Do they think people from all over are going to hike into Clover, to frequent their tiny supermarket?

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Why is BiLo forsaking their store in Lake Wylie; purchasing, and moving into, the small, cramped, Piggly Wiggly store, in the seldom traveled town of Clover?

???

Does BiLo think there are enough people in the lovely, but small, town of Clover, to sustain it?

Do they think people from all over are going to hike into Clover, to frequent their tiny supermarket?

Makes no sense whatsoever.
Makes perfect sense. Piggly Wiggly "carolinas" wants out, and they didnt want this store. Bi-Lo probably saw the store did good business and figured Publix wouldnt come into town and theres enough people who wont drive into Lake Wylie.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Makes perfect sense. Piggly Wiggly "carolinas" wants out, and they didnt want this store. Bi-Lo probably saw the store did good business and figured Publix wouldnt come into town and theres enough people who wont drive into Lake Wylie.
I hope their strategy works.

I prefer smaller grocery stores, but smaller stores seem to buck the trend of the "bigger is better" theme that's taken place in recent years.

Do you have any thoughts on the Publix store in Indian Land? I know it isn't doing fantastic business, and I wonder if the Ballantyne location will siphon off even more of Indian Land's business.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I hope their strategy works.

I prefer smaller grocery stores, but smaller stores seem to buck the trend of the "bigger is better" theme that's taken place in recent years.

Do you have any thoughts on the Publix store in Indian Land? I know it isn't doing fantastic business, and I wonder if the Ballantyne location will siphon off even more of Indian Land's business.
Ive only gone to the Indian land store once. I live closer to the Tega Cay store, which ive been in probably 8 or so times. I do enjoy their subs, they got a great bakery, but i could never do my weekly grocery shopping there. Regular prices are too high.

There going to try and get everyone in the Ballantyne area to go to the new store, and they are probably banking on the influx of new homes being built in Indian land for that store.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Same thing for York. Bi-Lo did not sell that store because Publix doesn't want to be in York.

The Harris Teeter at Tega Cay is doing every promotion they can to try to compete with Publix. That Teeter being sandwiched between two other HT's, 160 and Pleasant and 160 and S. Tryon does not help the TC HT.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Southeastern Grocers, the parent of Bi-Lo, has been busy buying up stores this year. The acquisition of several Piggly Wiggly stores, many lacking necessities like pharmacies, and the divestment of successful stores to Publix, many of them being former Winn Dixie stores and having pharmacies, makes one wonder the chain is spinning in circles.

I do not think many will doubt Kroger/Harris Teeter and Publix will dominate the Charlotte region. Food Lion and Bi-Lo have peaked, are on the decline and may not be around in a few years.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Bi-Lo will be around for years to come, just not many stores in the Charlotte area. Food Lion should be fine, as theyve closed several stores, so they arent oversaturated, and they remain as the lone "discount grocery store". Food Lion seems to compete with the likes of Wal-Mart. Food Lion customers probably dont go to HT or Publix.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Same thing for York. Bi-Lo did not sell that store because Publix doesn't want to be in York.

The Harris Teeter at Tega Cay is doing every promotion they can to try to compete with Publix. That Teeter being sandwiched between two other HT's, 160 and Pleasant and 160 and S. Tryon does not help the TC HT.
Good points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties