Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 04:36 PM

11 posts, read 14,171 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

We are looking to move and considering new constructions, namely:

Lennar Homes: Almond Glen or Carolina Reserve
Ryan Homes: Rosemont
Truehomes: Wakefield South, Silver Run, Balmoral

Also, we have two small children (ages 2.5 and 1) so elementary school is a concern for the future. I know that Indian Land has a new ES coming in the fall and I believe the Almond Glen and Rosemont neighborhoods would be zoned to the new school. Anyone know for sure?

We've lived in RH for almost five years and have outgrown our first home. While our zoned ES is a good one, we don't feel like buying in RH is a good investment for the future (no offense to anyone in RH) but if we are spending more $, for us Ft Mill and maybe IL is a better bet. My concern is that I'm not too familiar with Indian Land and am concerned about being under Lancaster county vs York county. Outside of Indian Land, the rest of the county seems underdeveloped/rural and the schools would not match up to FM.

Any advice on Ft Mill vs IL and the neighborhoods mentioned above? Builders?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama128 View Post
Hey all!

We are looking to move and considering new constructions, namely:

Lennar Homes: Almond Glen or Carolina Reserve
Ryan Homes: Rosemont
Truehomes: Wakefield South, Silver Run, Balmoral

Also, we have two small children (ages 2.5 and 1) so elementary school is a concern for the future. I know that Indian Land has a new ES coming in the fall and I believe the Almond Glen and Rosemont neighborhoods would be zoned to the new school. Anyone know for sure?

We've lived in RH for almost five years and have outgrown our first home. While our zoned ES is a good one, we don't feel like buying in RH is a good investment for the future (no offense to anyone in RH) but if we are spending more $, for us Ft Mill and maybe IL is a better bet. My concern is that I'm not too familiar with Indian Land and am concerned about being under Lancaster county vs York county. Outside of Indian Land, the rest of the county seems underdeveloped/rural and the schools would not match up to FM.

Any advice on Ft Mill vs IL and the neighborhoods mentioned above? Builders?

Thanks in advance!!!
If you truly are concerned about schools, and not just being dazzled by the thought of a new house then I would say your first step would be to compare the schools online.

Start with the South Carolina Department of Education (Rock Hill is YORK 3, Fort Mill is York 4, and Indian Land is Lancaster 1), then there is also greatschools, and schooldigger.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
If you truly are concerned about schools, and not just being dazzled by the thought of a new house then I would say your first step would be to compare the schools online.

Start with the South Carolina Department of Education (Rock Hill is YORK 3, Fort Mill is York 4, and Indian Land is Lancaster 1), then there is also greatschools, and schooldigger.
Thank you, lovethecarolinas! Yep, clearly FM is at the top when comparing these. I appreciate the info.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:40 AM

41 posts, read 50,085 times
Also keep in mind that Great Schools and Schooldigger aren't up to date, missing some schools. I know that Sugar Creek Elementary and Banks Trail Middle are not on there, don't know what other ones might be missing.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,311 times
Hi ama128...I am also looking in the same neighborhoods....did you finalize on any builder?..
How was your overall experience?
We are confused between true homes Wakefield south and Ryan homes rosemont?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 PM

11 posts, read 15,134 times
True Homes is an excellent builder. I am currently building a home and True Homes is the builder. We looked at all of the major builders and decided on them after talking to several families who recently built with them. You cannot go wrong with any of their developments plus they try to take the stress out of building a home. Actually they have made the process very easy. They stay on time and stay in contact with you throughout the whole process.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsttimebuyer View Post
Hi ama128...I am also looking in the same neighborhoods....did you finalize on any builder?..
How was your overall experience?
We are confused between true homes Wakefield south and Ryan homes rosemont?

We actually went with Lennar at Almond Glen. We started looking at new construction but came across a resale home in the community (built in early 2013) that fit our needs. Very happy with the finishes and warranties that transferred. The community and location are great for us! I was not too impressed with true homes - I did not like the cookie cutter and cheap looking finishes, IMHO. I also read various reviews from people who did not like the finishes and said they cut lots of corners at the homeowner's expense. Not sure if it's true or just some disgruntled folks but I didn't really like the look of the community I visited that was a true homes neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 AM

625 posts, read 488,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama128 View Post
We actually went with Lennar at Almond Glen. We started looking at new construction but came across a resale home in the community (built in early 2013) that fit our needs. Very happy with the finishes and warranties that transferred. The community and location are great for us! I was not too impressed with true homes - I did not like the cookie cutter and cheap looking finishes, IMHO. I also read various reviews from people who did not like the finishes and said they cut lots of corners at the homeowner's expense. Not sure if it's true or just some disgruntled folks but I didn't really like the look of the community I visited that was a true homes neighborhood.
I'm surprised. We're having our home built by true homes and the options were far from cookie cutter. I think it depends on the community that you're looking at. The Lennar communities we saw in IL had very cookie cutter looking houses. They all had the same color and trims. When we drove into the neighborhoods you couldn't tell the houses apart!

Keep in mind that True Homes has 4 collections of homes, each one comes with a different base package and price point: Integrity, Elements, Traditions and Designer. Certain packages are only available in certain neighborhoods. Ours came with ceramic tile, granite counter tops, and higher end finishes. One neighborhood over the base package came with Vinyl tile and laminate counter tops, for the higher end finishes they would need to pay extra. You may have come across some disgruntled people.

I'm curious what True Homes neighborhood you visited. The only neighborhood that we saw that was pretty much all True Homes was Silver Run (and that has one of the lower end collection homes). Most other neighborhoods had a combination of builders.

Anyway, glad you found a home that you liked, that's really all that matters in the end!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties