Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL
."There is some development around what used to be a proposed amusement park...the lack of infrastructure planning is scary"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
.....I have no idea what amusement park you are speaking of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thanks for the helpful and informative links

The amusement park I referenced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_USA

Scary lack of infrastructure back there.

Heritage USA wasn't a proposed park it Was a Park (an amusement park), and for the sake of not taking this thread off tract any farther then it already is I will just leave it with...

Regent Park, located in the Fort Mill Township (which is York County Council - not the Town of Fort Mill), and off of Hwy 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 PM

235 posts, read 306,939 times
Quote:
Interesting quote:

"As you can imagine, I spend the majority of my time answering questions about our roads. I think we can all agree that traffic is bad and everyone is frustrated by our inability to make quick improvements. I share your concerns and have met with County staff to get a timeline for when we will begin to see significant improvements to our roads. The first major road completion will be in the Summer of 2015 when the Hubert Graham connector should be completed. This road will connect Tega Cay with Hwy 160. Two intersections should be improved by the Summer of 2016. Both the Gold Hill/Hwy 160 intersection as well as the I-77/Gold Hill intersection improvements will be completed by that summer. These improvements will go a long way to lowering our drive times and easing congestion."

E-Letter // Councilman Michael Johnson
Oh boy... Completion in 2015 and 2016?? Uhm, what road project is ever completed on time? Figure 2017 and 2018... With all of the new homes being built in the area it wont be long before Hwy 160 and Gold Hill Rd traffic looks like the Beltway in Washington DC...

Old 11-06-2013, 01:59 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Interesting quote:

"As you can imagine, I spend the majority of my time answering questions about our roads. I think we can all agree that traffic is bad and everyone is frustrated by our inability to make quick improvements. I share your concerns and have met with County staff to get a timeline for when we will begin to see significant improvements to our roads. The first major road completion will be in the Summer of 2015 when the Hubert Graham connector should be completed. This road will connect Tega Cay with Hwy 160. Two intersections should be improved by the Summer of 2016. Both the Gold Hill/Hwy 160 intersection as well as the I-77/Gold Hill intersection improvements will be completed by that summer. These improvements will go a long way to lowering our drive times and easing congestion."

E-Letter // Councilman Michael Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
Oh boy... Completion in 2015 and 2016?? Uhm, what road project is ever completed on time? Figure 2017 and 2018... With all of the new homes being built in the area it wont be long before Hwy 160 and Gold Hill Rd traffic looks like the Beltway in Washington DC...

You are right "what road project is ever completed on time?" The Hubert Graham connector has been in the works for close to 10 years now!

TEGA CAY: Tega Cay connector road gets funding boost | Local News | Rock Hill Herald Online

The plan was to relieve congestion at S.C. 160 West and Gold Hill Road by connecting the two roads with an alternate route. The county picked Campco Engineering in 2004 to design the project for about $105,000. Hubert Graham Parkway would be extended 3,000 feet north from a cul-de-sac to Gold Hill.

Then came Stonecrest, and buildout of the Lakeshore and Palmetto Plantation subdivisions. That growth “severely limited” the selected route, according to information provided to council by county staff. The design had to be changed and the road lengthened, including what was there already. Plans for a four-way intersection turned into a recommended roundabout design at Hubert Graham and Stonecrest Boulevard.

A 2010 amendment to the design contract added almost $317,000. The amendment last week brings the total to $1.25 million.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post

And then the mass exodus from people in Ft Mill, as it becomes "too congested."

I've seen it happen in New York, in neighborhoods that are now largely lower income.

Many areas in New Jersey, and swaths of PA, are now occupied by former New Yorkers who wanted to escape "congestion."

Fortunately, for those who live there, New Jersey has shown great foresight in planning it's neighborhoods. I wish I could say the same for areas in York County.

Fort Mill is being built out like Charlotte, with seemingly little insight...

Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Then came Stonecrest, and buildout of the Lakeshore and Palmetto Plantation subdivisions. That growth “severely limited” the selected route, according to information provided to council by county staff. The design had to be changed and the road lengthened, including what was there already. Plans for a four-way intersection turned into a recommended roundabout design at Hubert Graham and Stonecrest Boulevard.
This is what I can't figure out:

In certain municipalities (outside of what I've seen in York County), it is as follows:

"If you want to build (such and such) a development, then you're going to have to deed such and such land for the construction of a road/turning lane(s)/buffer(s), etc."

In York County, they are reactive, instead of proactive.

Fort Mill favors "smart growth," which encourages higher density building, narrow roads (and in some cases, a lack of lanes), and encourages pedestrian activity.

Encouraging pedestrian activity is great, but where are people going to walk to? Walmart?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:02 PM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
Quote:
Fortunately, for those who live there, New Jersey has shown great foresight in planning it's neighborhoods. I wish I could say the same for areas in York County.
I live in NJ and I can say for a fact that road planning stinks here too. Perfect example, took me 15 minutes to get to work today because all the kiddos are off from school. On a "normal" day it takes double that. And let's not get started on some of our highways which look like parking lots in the morning.

There's no "planning" neighborhoods here that have been around for 70 + years. People just keep moving further and further to the ex-burbs causing even more traffic congestion as they commute on roads that haven't been expanded to meet the need (sound familiar?).

We're moving to Fort Mill in a month and I get the giggles when I hear people in Charlotte and Fort Mill complain about traffic.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
There's no "planning" neighborhoods here that have been around for 70 + years. People just keep moving further and further to the ex-burbs causing even more traffic congestion as they commute on roads that haven't been expanded to meet the need (sound familiar?).
Welcome to Ft Mill

I agree that many established areas in NJ are built out, which limits the degree to which improvements can be made.

I had in mind areas in western NJ, where a few townships mandated 4 acre minimum lot sizes, which kept population in check.

Traffic in NJ isn't fun, but much of the GSP, for example, features twelve travel lanes, which again points to some degree of planning.

Having come from New York myself, I like York County SC, it's character, and the customs and traditions of those who live here. The last thing I'd want to see, is a recreation of the NY nightmare that I left.

As it stands, segments of 485 come close to what I experienced on 287.

Last edited by NDL; 11-08-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 05:07 PM

396 posts, read 976,766 times
I came to this area from Southern California, about 45 minutes outside of LA. I have no complaints about traffic here. But I sure don't want it to turn into what I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties