Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,978,057 times

Advertisements

So I was looking up Locksmiths in Fort Mill, and Google gives me "Fort Mill Locksmith" with about 4 different websites with 4 different phone numbers, but they all call themselves "Fort Mill Locksmith". I got a general quote from them but I was hoping to shop around. My guess is this "Fort Mill Locksmith" has several numebrs for the same company. Anyone have other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 AM

100 posts, read 212,674 times
We used the Tega Cay Locksmith when we first bought our house, he was good but I thought Pricey. Last time we needed a locksmith he didn't call back for 4 days so we tried the Fort Mill Locksmith. I believe that it is one guy that sends others to go do the work, we called them on a Sunday and he sent someone over a couple hours later which had his own phone number. They did a good job but again a bit pricey, or I am just cheep.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM

What was pricey to you? They quoted me $35 to come out, and then if I do the work, they dont even wave the $35 or roll it into the cost of the work. I thought that was crappy.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 PM

I ended up using Fort Mill Locksmiths: Fort Mill Residential Locksmith - Fort Mill, SC (803) 335-4228

I had someone at my house within 30 minutes. I was quoted $150 for the entire job and he did it on the spot. No complaints!

Old 12-11-2013, 08:00 AM

100 posts, read 212,674 times
Tega Cay Locksmith charged us $150 to re-key 3 locks when we first bought our place last year I thought it was a bit much.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,007 times
Default Locksmith Scams

Unfortunately, there are locksmith scams in and around Fort Mill SC. We have a blog on locksmith scams @ [url=http://www.lockmonkeys.com]Lock Monkeys Fort Mill Locksmith[/url]
Taking the time to read reviews on yelp and other resources. But, when people are in a bind they tend to pick the first locksmith that comes up. A few tips to protect yourself from being scammed are:

1. Are there "Starting At Pricing" quoted? Usually, a scammer states they have a $19 service call and "STARTING AT" $29 or $35. Be very careful when accepting this kind of quote. A seasoned locksmith CAN tell you what it will cost for a lockout. If you do choose a locksmith like this, it WILL COST YOU MORE MONEY, when they arrive. I have lived in Fort Mill SC my whole life, I have only come across maybe 2 or 3 locks I could not pick. And those were commercial locks.

2. Ask for ID! Check out the address they say they are at. Does their vehicle state who they are? If it does, can the locksmith prove they are who they say they are. Look for ALOA ID card, NLA, NCLLA ID.

3. When you called, was it a dispatch center? Since Google now provides a local number for free, these misleading numbers can be forwarded to a out-of-country or out-of-state dispatch company. Who trained some guy/lady for one day to unlock a car or drill out a house lock, or, check this out... force your house door open with a airbag! If they quote you more for the lockout when they get there, ask them why. Then call a real locksmith.
Quote:
“Consumers think they’re calling a reputable locksmith and they’re quoted a price that seems very reasonable,” says Claire Rosenzweig, President and CEO of the BBB of Metropolitan New York. “Then these people show up and charge more than you expected.”
4. Just because you are frustrated, don't settle for a price thats too high. Depending on the time of day, a car lockout normal rate is between $65 & $85. A house lockout is normally between $75 and $100, for one lock. Our locksmiths usually work with you on that price.

5. IF A LOCKSMITH DOES NOT ASK FOR YOUR ID, upon arriving at your house or car. It is against the law to open anything that is locked that the customer has not verified they are the owner. AND ALWAYS sign a invoice BEFORE work is started! That way the price cannot be changed on you in the end.

Lastly, if you feel you have been scammed, call Lock Monkeys @ 803-636-6337. We will help you with the steps needed to file a complaint and report them to NCLLA, NLA, & ALOA scam department.

The only one that keep you from being scammed is you. Don't allow yourself to become a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties