Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,221 times

Advertisements

My family is moving in the Spring to SC for a job in Lancaster. We want to buy a home with some property, something between 10 and 20 acres is preferable, but we would settle for 5 acres. In searching for homes with acreage, we are finding a few properties in areas between 20 and 30 minutes outside of Lancaster. Our problem is that we don't know where to consider because we know nothing about the area. We will be visiting in February for only a few days, so we need to make that small window of time count in terms of telling a realtor where we want to look. I do not need to factor in a school district because I homeschool. At least a reasonably close proximity to grocery and other shopping is desired.

Can anyone give me some information (like the general personality/feel of the town, safety, etc.) in places like Heath Springs, Great Falls, Chester, Fort Mill, Rock Hill and Lancaster in a rural setting? Any other places that we should consider? We do not want to live in a developed neighborhood, so I know that leaves fewer options.

Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 PM

625 posts, read 482,628 times
I'm new to the area, but based on what we've seen in our house hunting search anything with acreage will take you way outside the area. Even 5 acres can be hard to come by since developers are buying it all up. Is there a specific reason you're looking for that much land? There are some really nice smaller properties that abut to open green space.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 39,085 times
Looking for the same thing. Maybe a little less land, 1 - 5 acres, but we don't want to live in a "neighborhood" type situation. I like to keep a big garden, several dogs and I keep chickens so a town atmosphere just won't do.

We like to be out in the rural areas, but when looking at the real estate sites they don't really give you the option of rural in the search. So, unless you know what towns to search for you get no returns on your selections.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,192,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnTrvlr View Post
My family is moving in the Spring to SC for a job in Lancaster. We want to buy a home with some property, something between 10 and 20 acres is preferable, but we would settle for 5 acres. In searching for homes with acreage, we are finding a few properties in areas between 20 and 30 minutes outside of Lancaster. Our problem is that we don't know where to consider because we know nothing about the area. We will be visiting in February for only a few days, so we need to make that small window of time count in terms of telling a realtor where we want to look. I do not need to factor in a school district because I homeschool. At least a reasonably close proximity to grocery and other shopping is desired.

Can anyone give me some information (like the general personality/feel of the town, safety, etc.) in places like Heath Springs, Great Falls, Chester, Fort Mill, Rock Hill and Lancaster in a rural setting? Any other places that we should consider? We do not want to live in a developed neighborhood, so I know that leaves fewer options.

Any info would be appreciated!
All of these areas are considered rural....just some are more rural than others.

Since your time will be short when you come in February my advice would be to find a realtor that works/specializes in Lancaster county (Lancaster). Yet instead of looking for a home to buy I would have them focus on a rental home for you. That way it will give you time to learn the areas and make sure the area you decide upon is right for you and your family.

I could go into a lot more detail but if you keep in mind the closer you are to Charlotte the higher the prices will become, and the more new development you will find. You have no need for the public schools so I'd scratch Fort Mill off your list.

You don't mention a price range but I am a little surprised that you are having issues locating homes with the acreage you want. If you can give an apx. price range that would help me provide you with some suggestions.

Historically these areas (that you are looking into) where home to the textile industry. The towns were thriving back then. When the textile industry left it left many of these towns a mere shell of what they once were. That is not to say you can't find some wonderful homes in some great spots but just keep in mind some of these areas are very, very rural and you may have to travel a bit for certain things.

Hope that helps some and best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties