Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 50,087 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has an offer to relocate to Fort Mill. We currently live in NJ and I work in NYC. We're both engineers - I'm civil. We've both grown up in NJ and lived there pretty much our whole lives.

Relocating to SC isn't our only option, we might not take the offer to relocate. I wanted to hear some people's thoughts on living in this area. Before we accept, I would want to visit anyway. Us relocating is dependent upon whether or not I can find a job. It's very possible that his company will hire me so I'm not hugely concerned about finding a job but its not a non-issue. If anyone has a big warning about finding civil engineering jobs, I'd be interested to hear them.

We're both young - 25 years old. We're not much of an outdoorsy couple but we're planning on getting a dog so we would be interested in outdoor areas where we can take him/her. We like downtown areas where we can walk for shopping, cafes, and restaurants. I also love history so thats something I'd be interested in in SC.. any historical places to walk by or visit.

Some online research has shown me housing prices, which is a huge pro for the NC side since its a fraction of the cost of similarly-sized homes here. A lot of the homes I see in Fort Mill are new but I've always imagined living down south means a cute front porch with that southern charm. I haven't seen much of that when looking online at Fort Mill. Am I missing something?

I hear schools aren't that great.. It's a concern but not a huge one since we wouldn't be having children for another 5 years. I figure, what better time to live somewhere new than when we're young and don't have kids?

What kind of insight can you give me about living in the Fort Mill area?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
We just moved down from NJ about a month ago.
You're not going to find much in terms of a downtown and cute houses with front porches in Fort Mill, at least downtown.

For you guys, I would suggest taking a look at Baxter Village, its as close to a neighborhood with walk-able stores and has more of a downtown / main street feel. I don't know where in NJ you're from, but Baxter reminds me of a mini version of Westfield. There are many types of homes, and there are parks and walking trails.

Fort Mill has excellent schools, they are rated the best in the state of SC. Don't let the pre-conceptions that people from NJ have about schools down south.

The best you can do is visit and take a look. Baxter Village wasn't for us since we were looking for something more "country", but based on your post it sounds like it's close to what you're looking for.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM

64 posts, read 281,841 times
That's funny...I grew up in Westfield, NJ and we recently moved to Baxter Village. My parents and I say it looks like a mini Westfield. We love it so far and the school is great!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:30 AM

That's so funny both NJConqui and Michellelf moved from NJ as well! We're from the Freehold-Jackson area.

Baxter Village looks adorable on Google Images! We're expecting to get more information about the offer this week. If it's worth persuing, we would take a 3-day weekend trip to check out the area.

It's comforting to hear that the schools are good.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM

There are a ton of transplants from NJ and NY here. I find Fort Mill to be a lot more laid back than Charlotte itself though I'd already started to encounter some people that've brought down some of their 'tude from the NYC area. Fortunately those are few and far between.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Chalk up another NYC/NJ transplant - we came from Bloomfield, NJ in 2006. We didn't settle in Baxter Village, but we find Fort Mill to be a great place to live. For a young couple with no kids, I definitely recommend Baxter Village.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 PM

24 posts, read 49,143 times
We are planning on relocating to this area from LI, NY. We have small kids so we are really looking for the best place to raise our kids with a cheaper, better life. Is Northern Fort Mill a good fit for young families? I would need to work in Charlotte & hear the commute would be good. Also looking for excellent schools as we have that now. Any info or advice will help. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:32 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information so far. We are planning a trip in a few weeks to Fort Mill and Charlotte. Any places to recommend that we see?

We're going to talk to a few realtors to find the right one when we are picking a house. Suggestions on realtors?

Suggestions on apartments for where we'll stay before we find a home? My boyfriend will be working in Fort Mill, I'll most likely be in Charlotte. We need to avoid having to sign a lease since I don't think we'll be staying in an apartment a full year.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2014, 05:37 PM

We're staying in Century Springfield Meadows (it used to be called "The Paddock"), they're really nice apartments, they offer a 6 month lease option and seem pretty flexible about leases. We're waiting until our house is built. The apartments are really nice and the community is nice as well, its very transitional -- seems like most of the people living here are between where they used to live and their future permanent residence.

As for realtors, find one that focuses on SC. We got one based out of Charlotte and even though we told him over and over again we wanted Fort Mill or IL, he kept showing us homes in Union Cty, NC. We really found our own place.

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 PM

261 posts, read 480,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
As for realtors, find one that focuses on SC. We got one based out of Charlotte and even though we told him over and over again we wanted Fort Mill or IL, he kept showing us homes in Union Cty, NC. We really found our own place.
I second this advice. Our realtor was also NC based and although I liked her very much she was no help in finding our home. We found ours ourselves too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties