Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 16,545 times

Advertisements

Looking to see if anyone can give my husband and I some insight on the Fort Mill area. We are looking to move within the next 3-6 months to the area, for a possible job transfer. We have 2 school age children (7 & 9) and currently live in the upper Midwest area. Please give suggestions on some of our questions below:

1. Family Oriented Neighborhoods - we would love to be in a neighborhood where there would be kids and lots of them, what should we expect within the community? Is there baseball, basketball, soccer associations, and dance in the area? How competitive? Are their better neighborhoods than others? I see that there is a lot of new construction, what can we expect in terms of building quality? We want a little space without houses on top of each other. I understand Baxter Village, Springfield, Massey, etc. are desirable, but what are some others?

2. Schools - we currently attend a progressive school, which in this day and age seems to be the norm, but how do schools handle holidays like Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day? Our current school and principal believe that this would go again some peoples beliefs etc. Maybe this is the sign of the times, but we are just curious, as we are a bit "old school". Also, how are the schools laid out? In our area, we have open enrollment, since our neighborhood school is not performing well, we have the choice of selecting another school within our district or if you can go out of district (but without bus service).

3. Taxes - we are getting killed with our in-state taxes (sales, income), with our property taxes around $2000-2500/year. Not too bad considering some of the other threads.

4. Shopping - I understand that Target and Costco are not in Fort Mill. We have been spoiled to have Target and Costco literally in our backyard. I understand that there is a Costco about 20 mins away which isn't bad but are they any plans for a Target or Costco coming to the area? How is the local shopping, are there Aldi or speciality shopping for clothing, food etc.?

5. Friendliness - we struggle with people in our area not always being the most friendly. My husband and I have lived in our current area for the last 15-20yrs respectively (didn't grow up in the area) and feel that if you haven't lived here all your life, then you're not invited into the locals circles. Its very difficult meeting people, but its gotten better since we're involved with our children's activities, but if it wasn't for that it would be difficult. How is the culture, friendliness, etc. in the area?

I would appreciate any insight on the area that anymore can give us, we feel that it would be a great place to raise a family and be a little more relaxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM

625 posts, read 488,028 times
We've only been here about 3 months but have gotten to know the area pretty well and have made some friends in our neighborhood and through clubs and activities.

When it comes to neighborhoods with lots of families, I can say that most of the newer neighborhoods have lost of families with younger kids.

Schools are based on neighborhood so your child would attend the local school. All of the schools in Fort Mill are pretty much equal and they're all highly rated so you won't go wrong with any of them. I've met a few of the teachers and have started becoming friends with a woman who teaches at one of the schools and they all seem very happy and proud about working at Fort Mill schools.

As for holidays, I don't consider Halloween or Valentine's Days holidays but we let our son participate with whatever they do in school with them. I'm not sure how it's approached in school, but at his local daycare all the kids handed out Valentine's cards and candy to each other. I know Halloween in our future neighborhood is a big deal-- neighborhood trick-or-treating and decorations, but I wasn't here during it to be able to say what they do at school

As for Christmas, at his daycare / pre-school the kids really didn't do anything from what I remember, but the teachers did give out candy canes to the kids with hand written "holiday" cards. Again, not sure how it's approached in the schools since there are kids from different nationalities and religions that may not celebrate it. I know that in our neighborhood there are some families from different religious backgrounds.

Taxes are low, BUT you do pay vehicle tax here as part of your property taxes. So that, added with your home property taxes may add to the $2000 - $2500 you're currently paying. I know that for us it will.

Shopping -- Costco is about 20 min away and there are a few Targets within 10 - 15 min driving distance depending on where you live. I don't see it as a problem getting to either.

Most people here are very friendly, even those that are locals that have been here a while. The majority of the people here are transplants. You'll still need to make the effort to get to know people, it won't just happen by chatting it up with people at the grocery store. So far the people that we've known have been through our neighborhood HOA, work, clubs and our neighbors.

You'll really have to visit the different neighborhoods to see where you want to live. The bigger the lot in a subdivision the higher the price. In subdivisions the biggest lots I've seen in FM were about 1/2 an acre. Anything more than that and you're outside a neighborhood and it becomes much more expensive and harder to find. I suggest talking to a realtor and having them show you around. The market here is pretty hot so something available today may not be available in a few months.

Coming from the NE it's quite different from what we were used to, but so far we're much happier and relaxed here.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:40 PM

32 posts, read 82,411 times
As a former Midwesterner I can tell you that I feel the move to Fort Mill is a great choice. What several people don't understand is there are different areas in Fort Mill. Biggest small town I have ever seen. Most of the retail and restaurant activity is towards the Tega Cay side of Fort Mill. Most of the developments are kid friendly and the schools are structured much like they are in the Midwest with Holidays still being observed. Yes they have Valentine's day and Halloween parties. In my opinion Tega Cay is a nightmare with taking kids to school or during rush hour so if you want to be on that side of town be prepared for traffic nightmares.

Shopping will be no problem. It is nothing for those that like Costco to ride up to Charlotte for their needs. It is very easy to get to as it is right off the expressway. Walmart tends to be more prominent in this area but there is a very nice Target in the Steele creek area, a hop skip and a jump away. Depending on what side of Fort Mill you move to will determine which direction you go for shopping, and yes there are Aldi's here. There are new elementary schools going up all over in Fort Mill as this area is growing rapidly.

Friendliness is an individual issue. As the previous poster indicated there are a lot of transplants in this area and most people have been in your shoes. I feel the people here are very kind, although occasionally you will encounter an individual that has been here there whole life and they don't like the growth. But for the most part you will have no problem with people accepting you . I agree that you will have to understand it is your responsibility to reach out to people but with kids that should be no problem. Sports, school and church will be great resources for that and before long you will fit right in. Just know the HOAs are a given here so be prepared for that.

And moving from the midwest you are going to love the winters here but do not give away your winter coats as we do get an occasional snowfall. You may want to keep a snowshovel too. You may only use it once a year but you'll be glad you kept it.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM

9 posts, read 16,545 times
Default Insight

Thank you for the insight on the area, it seems more interesting to come and visit, hopefully we will in the upcoming months. From what I have heard and read Tega Cay seems very nice but the traffic can be a bear. Is the other side of Fort Mill better/worse or the same?

Again thank you for the great information.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:30 AM

261 posts, read 480,194 times
I live on the east side of 77 and I avoid Tega Cay at all costs. We have been here almost 7 years and the traffic in Tega Cay has only gotten worse with no relief in sight. And they are putting at least two more subdivisions in on 160 west past Wal Mart which will only make traffic worse.

Our side of town isn't exactly traffic free either but we will have the huge benefit of the bypass when it is complete. That will help immensely with congestion getting to and from 77. The nice thing about being on our side of town is that you have 77 or 521 as a route north. On the Tega Cay side you only have 77, Gold Hill or S. Tryon if you need to get to 77 or 485. Unless you just have to live on or near the lake, there isn't anything in Tega Cay that you can't find on the east side of Fort Mill.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your visit to Fort Mill. We love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties