Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,237 times

Advertisements

My 3rd grader received his new teacher assignment for 3rd grads. He goes to Sugar Creek a Elementary and they gave him a home room teacher and a Math/lang Art teacher. I can't find anything online that explains this and I spoke with 2 other parents; 1 has a child with just one teacher and the other has the same split. On the Sugar Creek website I don't see anything that explains the 2 teachers only that some grades have 7 class changes. Anyone have any insights to this weird assignment structure? My kid got straight A's for 4 quarters so it's hard to believe he requires special needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 AM

61 posts, read 115,161 times
Most likely the HR teacher will teach everything except Math & LA (and obviously related arts). It's actually pretty common for students to be split between teachers, although it usually starts in 4th or 5th grade.

I like it because it allows a teacher to narrow their focus rather than having to spread themselves so thin lesson planning for every subject.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 AM

261 posts, read 480,492 times
Is your child in the Gifted and Talented program? Most children in the GT program will have two teachers. As Wiggin said above, their homeroom teacher will teach everything but ELA and Math and the GT teacher will teach those two. I, personally, like the set up.

Google your child's two teachers and see what their specialty is.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
My kids have had split classes the past couple of years. One is in GT, one is not.

It's normal for our area and not a big deal. It has nothing to do with special needs as far as I know.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,011 times
Have you checked with the school and asked them? I am sure they know why and can explain.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 AM

66 posts, read 130,436 times
If your child in in GT you would know and there would be GT in front of the Lang Arts and Math class. More likely scenario is that the homeroom teacher may be the GT teacher for the grade so when the GT kids come into her room for Math, the homeroom kids who are not GT have to leave and go to another room. Not a great system but since this district does not have a GT teacher who only teaches that, they use one teacher from the grade level to teach it.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 PM

261 posts, read 480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba04 View Post
If your child in in GT you would know and there would be GT in front of the Lang Arts and Math class. More likely scenario is that the homeroom teacher may be the GT teacher for the grade so when the GT kids come into her room for Math, the homeroom kids who are not GT have to leave and go to another room. Not a great system but since this district does not have a GT teacher who only teaches that, they use one teacher from the grade level to teach it.
Not saying that the OP doesn't know what her child is doing in school, but you would be surprised at what people don't know about their own children. My child is in GT and when he received is teacher assignments it did not have GT in front of his GT teacher.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:54 PM

135 posts, read 195,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajonesmcf View Post
My 3rd grader received his new teacher assignment for 3rd grads. He goes to Sugar Creek a Elementary and they gave him a home room teacher and a Math/lang Art teacher. I can't find anything online that explains this and I spoke with 2 other parents; 1 has a child with just one teacher and the other has the same split. On the Sugar Creek website I don't see anything that explains the 2 teachers only that some grades have 7 class changes. Anyone have any insights to this weird assignment structure? My kid got straight A's for 4 quarters so it's hard to believe he requires special needs.
My kids go to Orchard Park, but we've seen this a few times where they have Math & Language arts with one teacher and Homeroom and everything else with another. I think that they start doing it in 3rd grade & my girls don't even flinch at it so it must be pretty common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
View detailed profiles of: