Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:26 AM

116 posts, read 430,581 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post a something stating how HAPPY I AM to be out of Middle Tennessee. Regardless of where in the NC/SC Charlotte area I choose to live - regardless of nuclear power plants, giant bugs and anything else - I am superiorly happy to be away from the FREAK-A-ZOIDS in Nashville.

I hated almost every single minute of being there. I've been in Charlotte a total of 2 weeks (renting an apartment until our home closes and we can buy) and I'm already liking it better. There's more cultural diversity, people are SMARTER and overall SHARPER with a better sense of humor, the food is MUCH BETTER and people don't generally drive 3 miles an hour on the highway.

Naturally, there are positives and negatives to anywhere you go. Last night I posted a somewhat critical view of Middle Tennessee on the Nashville boards and I got blasted for it. After I read all the comments about it I decided I was even MORE glad I'm out of Middle Tennessee.

I also failed to mention the time my husband got arrested and had to drive himself to jail after he sternly told a guy to get off our property because he was trespassing. He didn't even lay a finger on him! The guy called the cops and told them my husband assaulted him and he was sitting in his car with the engine on, windows rolled down, radio blasting on the cell phone in OUR DRIVEWAY waiting for the cops to come. Cops made my husband DRIVE HIMSELF to jail. We had to hire a lawyer to expunge his record. The judge threw out the case when the cop openly admitted, "I just didn't like his yankee accent!"

Let's not forget the time I got a speeding ticket sitting on my couch. I was watching t.v. with my friend (who happens to be a black male) and a cop pulls into my driveway and starts banging on my door. He was rude and mean and told me he needed to see my driver's license and my car. I said, "why was I changing the channels too fast?"

He told me that someone in the neighborhood saw what was described as my car speeding and almost taking out a mailbox. I said, "what the heck?" Then he said to me (and this was the kicker that made me realize I was really in the SOUTH). "Did you or did you not have a black male passenger with a yellow T-shirt in your car?"

I am NOT making this up. With tears in my eyes I allowed him to see my car and write me a ticket, but then I called my husband at work and told him what happened. He called the precinct and went NUTS. After about 10 minutes the cop calls him back and says, "the anonymous caller has dropped all charges." LORD STRIKE ME DEAD IF I AM LYING.

Then there was the time NOT THAT LONG AGO in July that MY DOGS were stolen. 2 LARGE DOGS and no ONE saw them? PUH-LEASE. I had my yard completely fenced with a 6' privacy fence, a gate that was locked, etc.

Everyone and everything about middle tennessee was an absolute NIGHTMARE for me, so I think I have the right to vent about it and I have EVERY right not to say I liked it and not to recommend living there to others. Naturally, everyone has to form their own opinion and do what they will.

Long story short - the thought of going back there to sign closing papers actually gives me the CHILLS. I am not a "citidiot" from Brooklyn as I was described on the Nashville boards. That just goes to show the ignorance level on that end. Lord forgive someone if they don't "pretend" and have that fake "southern hospitality" and fawn all over Nashville like it's God's gift to the world. I'd much rather live IN the Nuclear Power Plant.

And contrary to what another person said in that post, there's no need to worry for Charlotte now that I and my family are here thank you very much. We are far from perfect but we are an overall asset to the community. I'm a licensed massage therapist, my husband is in the music industry - but we are just regular folks. We don't smoke, don't drink don't cause hassle in our neighborhoods, upkeep or property and take interest in what goes on around us. We are for many important and valid causes. I am not a prideful person by any means but I take offense at the idea that I am a considered the "downside" to anything.

Anyway, this post is more directed towards those in Nashville but I wasnt' going to post it there again for fear of being attacked. I'm trying hard to get past that portion of my life and start living the good life. I'm tired of everything bad happening to me and I'm ready for 2008 to be one of the best years for me yet!

Bottom line is: THANK GOD I'M OUT OF MIDDLE TENNESSEE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Welcome to Charlotte! May middle Tennessee be just a distant nightmare for you soon!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 PM

58 posts, read 221,781 times
Wow that's quite a story! I visited near Boone NC in 1987, my first time in America. At the Tennesee border of 321 was a Fireworks store. When the owner heard my accent he asked my husband if I was coming here to kill him. I think that guy has not read the paper since the 2nd world war. I was pretty disgusted.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM

LMAO. WOW. Where are you originally from? That's just crazy.

But - I believe it after all the crap that happened to me there.

You should have read the insanity they posted after I posted my negative review of Nashville. They told me I need counseling. HA.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM

216 posts, read 701,386 times
I also moved out of TN and have enjoyed it here. I moved from NY to FL in 03 met my fiance there and when we started a family we decided to leave FL and moved closer to her family in TN. We were in Chattanooga from Nov 06 until 0ct 07. It was horrible. The nature was beautiful but that is about it. We are now in Rock Hill closer to my family (Belmont) and we all have enjoyed it. Her 10 yr old son loves his new school, TN there was fights everyday and all the boys had to attend anger management classes. Anyway sorry for the long rant. Glad to hear your out and are enjoying it here.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantamaria View Post

You should have read the insanity they posted after I posted my negative review of Nashville. They told me I need counseling. HA.
I am originally from Germany, and yes it was a shocker! Good thing that I have met enough Americans stationed in Germany who were nice, so I knew what I had experienced in Tennessee was just an ignorant hill billie.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantamaria View Post

Oh, and that wasn't the end of it. Two years later I came back to an Indian PowWow next to that fireworks store. I walked in like terminater and said: "I came back to kill you" . You should have seen his eyes. After I told his grown children in the store what he'd said to me two years earlier, they burst out laughing.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 PM

Just as a side note: Driving around as much as we have just looking at different areas and houses ,I cannot believe how much NY and NJ license plates I've seen.

I'm not yet sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. LMAO

And the saga continues..... jk

P.S. We drove ALL around Fort Mill and Tega Cay today and decided that this is the place for us. Honestly I don't like the NC side AT ALL. When my husband first said he wanted to move here and then we visited I hated it because we hadn't crossed over into Fort Mill at all. But now that I know I have an oasis - an area that's a little away from the insanity of Charlotte, I feel good about it. TEGA CAY is just gorgeous and I can see us living there for a long, long time to come.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 AM

417 posts, read 813,682 times
nsantamaria ;

Are you sure we haven't seen you on the show *COPS*?...your story sounds like one of their episodes.....lol .......Just Kidding

I did jump over to the Nashville thread and saw your post. Wow...thats some serious commenting over there!, looks like some Journalist at work....It's like reading chapters and chapters

Anyways...Congratulations on your decision to move to the FM/TC area-It is a very nice place to live......Tranquil

Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM

LMAO - "COPS" that's so funny. Everyone who knows my family says we NEED a freakin' reality show....thanks again. I'm psyched. we put in our offer this morning and will know something on Friday morning....keep your fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties