Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 38,529 times

Advertisements

We live in MA, and are considering a move to the Charlotte/Fort Mill area for my husbands employment. We have a friend in Ballantyne who has been very helpful, but she's a new mom and we have a 10 year old so need tips from parents with experience in the schools - specifically special ed - and even more specific, speech/language services. Our son is on an IEP for speech and receives amazing services in his current school. We know the Fort Mill schools are great, but we really want to make sure we move him to a school district that has a strong focus on their special ed services, and we wont be fighting tooth and nail to get the services he needs (there are towns near us here with schools with great ratings, but the school is notoriously bad about giving kids services they need, and while we will fight for our son, if we can avoid moving to a place only to go into a fight, we'd rather just start in a place where services wont be withheld).

Any advice from locals would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:56 PM

351 posts, read 655,100 times
I can only give you my experience, but I will say I have seen past complaints about FMSD and special ed programs. My son was diagnosed on the autism spectrum in 3rd grade. We moved to FM when he was in 10th grade. The school got ahold of his IEP from his old school and wanted to have him re-evaluated since he hadn't been tested in many years. At the end of the evaluation, they left his IEP the same and he did really well the rest of high school. He basically only needs extra test taking time and a little extra help with math. So, he had a special ed teacher that he could go to for help outside of class, but he remained mainstream in the classroom. It worked out well. They did not hold him down to "tech" classes and allowed him to move up to college prep courses gradually which he did by his senior year. Now he's in college and doing great!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM

19 posts, read 40,818 times
Our experience with the Special Ed system in Fort Mill has been less than stellar. I will send you a private message with details if you would like.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:40 PM

14 posts, read 11,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfitz View Post
We live in MA, and are considering a move to the Charlotte/Fort Mill area for my husbands employment. We have a friend in Ballantyne who has been very helpful, but she's a new mom and we have a 10 year old so need tips from parents with experience in the schools - specifically special ed - and even more specific, speech/language services. Our son is on an IEP for speech and receives amazing services in his current school. We know the Fort Mill schools are great, but we really want to make sure we move him to a school district that has a strong focus on their special ed services, and we wont be fighting tooth and nail to get the services he needs (there are towns near us here with schools with great ratings, but the school is notoriously bad about giving kids services they need, and while we will fight for our son, if we can avoid moving to a place only to go into a fight, we'd rather just start in a place where services wont be withheld).

Any advice from locals would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I don't have any suggestions but I'm new to the fortmill are been here 6 months I'm from Newport RI where are you from in Mass?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
@samanthabaker My wife and I are considering a move to Fort Mill as well, but concerned with some of the things we have been reading online about special needs programs. Any chance you could include me on your message with additional details / info? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,557 times
Samanthabaker please include me or forward your experience to me also. We are moving back to SC next year and I'm very concerned about schooling for my 7 yr old. Also any suggestions on schools in the area would be great. We will purchase a house accordingly so it a big decision.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:55 PM

170 posts, read 285,877 times
Fort Mill Schools- all SC schools - are very tight on money due to the low school taxes/property taxes that we pay. I don't have experience with special Ed but I would guess its not so great due to limited funds.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthabaker View Post
Our experience with the Special Ed system in Fort Mill has been less than stellar. I will send you a private message with details if you would like.
Hi. We are thinking about the Fort Mill, SC area too. Our 6 yr old son with autism is somewhat verbal and constantly improving but requires sub separate classroom at this time. Gets speech, OT and ABA now in our MA school with good reputation, but even here we question how much his progress is due to the school and how much is us/ our efforts...Considering Fort Mill for the affordability, weather and lifestyle. Special Ed services are a major factor in our decision, as are recreation opportunities for our sensory, active kid. Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 PM

110 posts, read 159,294 times
We only use speech services, but have been pleased. At my son's school I am amazed by how well staffed Spec Ed services are. So many children have a one-on-one aide by their side all day. That hardly seems low budget to me, but hey, what do I know.

I have a friend with an autistic son and she raves about how well he's doing at his school (Orchard Park).

Old 08-31-2015, 07:15 AM

45 posts, read 76,526 times
We are in the same boat as many others on this thread. Looking to relocate down the South Carolina area. Research has been focusing on the "big" cities, Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville area. It seems from the research so far that Greenville area has better schools, of course that is going just from the ratings on zillow and greatschools.org. I would love to continue to hear specific feedback on the Ft. Mill area. @Samathabaker, if not possible or uncomfortable to share on the thread, i would love to hear feedback directly on your experience. It's tough as we all know to go off information that you read as it's one person's experience, but it's that type of feedback that we all rely on to make decisions sometimes. I have been in contact with the Greenville and Charleston contacts for SC Autism Society already. They provide information that confirmed what we have been thinking. Anything additional would be appreciated by this group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties