Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 02:52 PM

139 posts, read 360,108 times

Advertisements

Has anyone has any success in initiating local codes?

We've got some issues in our neighborhood that could be remedied by updating some of the ordinances to align with the 21st century.

I know I have a town council member listed on my tax record, and he's been responsive in help with some information, but I'm not sure what I need to do to propose an ordinance and take it to the next level. Input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 06:20 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
What type of codes or ordinances? Your council member should have been able to advise or direct you to the right department. It depends on if you live in the city limits or the county. If said codes or ordinances involve the entire city or county it would have to go through the proper channels and procedures. A zoning request goes goes to the Zoning Dept and they pass it along to the Planning Department for review. They do the study. Ordinances are passed around the same way.

Updating/changing/adding ordinances has to go through the system too, all with end result requiring approval by the public/residents (non-smoking, alcohol sales on Sunday.) Since ordinance, codes or zoning changes affect not just your neighborhood but the entire county or city.

Do you not have an HOA in your community to handle your problem? Would your ordinance affect the whole city or county?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:01 PM

28 posts, read 31,307 times
We're in the county, not town limits. I would like to propose an ordinance that prevents residents from using their firearm for recreational use on their property when they are located within a specified range of high density housing.

I know that sounds like infringement on those who have been here a while; but our community has a neighboring firearms enthusiast that has bad aim, and it's a tragedy waiting to happen. He's even hit a window of one of the houses, and continues to target practice on his land.

Last edited by kellesah; 12-27-2015 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-27-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellesah View Post
We're in the county, not town limits. I would like to propose an ordinance that prevents residents from using their firearm for recreational use on their property when they are located within a specified range of high density housing.

I know that sounds like infringement on those who have been here a while; but our community has a neighboring firearms enthusiast that has bad aim, and it's a tragedy waiting to happen. He's even hit a window of one of the houses, and continues to target practice on his land.
Call the York County Sheriff's office at (803)628-3059 (non-emergency number) and inquire if there is a law or ordinance against residents using firearms for recreational use on their property. Be sure and mention the high density housing and the poor shooting. Don't let them give you a run-around.

I personally thought there was some sort of ordinance but we go to the firing range in Leeds. If you don't get any help from the Sheriff's office, once again contact your York County Council rep and again, don't let him give you a run-around. As your council rep he is suppose to know the codes and ordinances in our county. When I want to get the attention of the entire county council I send one email addressed too all. You will find the email addresses here: https://www.yorkcountygov.com/County...CouncilMembers

Your neighbor sounds dangerous and hitting a window in a home could have led to a tragedy. Don't get discouraged just pursue the matter. Proposing an ordinance is not an easy thing, it takes time and readings before the council, committee studies and then sometimes even brought to a vote by the resident of the whole county.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 PM

Thank you!

The police were notified, and the shooter was not charged, because he was legally firing on his property, and claimed it was a "ricochet" bullet Common sense would tell him that he should stop firing on his property, but he shoots every week. Many children live in our neighborhood, and if I lived on that street, I would never allow my kids to play in the backyard.

I'll start the grunt work and contact my council representative. I know it will take a long time, and with gun rights being such an inflammatory issue, I would expect some strong resistance.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:01 PM

74 posts, read 112,999 times
Did you ever get anywhere on this? Have the same problem. too close to residential neighborhoods concerns me.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:37 AM

157 posts, read 381,080 times
A friend's horse was killed this way in Monroe and she has been trying to get things changed. She's been on the news, held rallies, Facebook campaign, just about everything you can think of with no luck so far. The killer has not been charged, that I know of. I think they are headed to civil court for damages (after the fact). I believe she is also a law enforcement officer there.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:16 PM

No progress; right now I'm working on getting speed bumps installed in my neighborhood, then I was going to move on that one. I'm willing to team up and split the "tree shaking" tasks with you

Old 02-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyroses View Post
A friend's horse was killed this way in Monroe and she has been trying to get things changed. She's been on the news, held rallies, Facebook campaign, just about everything you can think of with no luck so far. The killer has not been charged, that I know of. I think they are headed to civil court for damages (after the fact). I believe she is also a law enforcement officer there.
If I thought it was going to be an uphill battle in York County, then I shudder to think of the amount of work involved in Monroe.

I found an article about the topic in the Charlotte Observer; maybe getting reporters involved will help motivate the local lawmakers? My plan was to hit the builders in my area with the info; they are building new subdivisions all along these rural property lines...do the people who are spending $400K for a home in the "best school district in SC" know that they are buying in an area that is known for Billy Bob Sunday morning "skunk hunting" near his home?

Experts: Stray bullet that injured bystander could have traveled miles | The Charlotte Observer

Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 AM

You can contact and work with your local York County Council rep or if necessary you can call and schedule an appearance before the whole council at their regular meetings. They allow residents so much time to speak. If you have people supporting you take them with you to the meeting. The gun issue is bad I would hate to live where someone is shooting. Hubby, Billy Bob and I, SueNell, go to a firing range to shoot.

As far as speed bumps, good luck on that one. The whole state is dealing with huge potholes/craters and much needed bridge repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties