Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 09:14 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times

Advertisements

Has anyone driven past the Tree Tops community supposed to be started on Van Wyck Road in Fort Mill or Lancaster? It is just south of Sun City Carolina Lakes on 521.

So far, all I can see on Google maps is a sales office at 9070 Van Wyck Road. The plans sound very nice, with integrating the natural environment and a lake into the development. I am not crazy about Lennar as a builder, but their floorplans look acceptable.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-14-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 05:04 AM

211 posts, read 978,862 times
We did go by the community, and we also spent some time looking through the models and discussing the details with the rep.

The community itself looks nice, but of course, one never knows what it will truly look like until a couple blocks are built.

We were disheartened with several things though:

a.) Cold Sales. The sales team at Lennar. We've had several interactions with them on a few of their communities, and each time --- different sales people --- they were less than warm and helpful. We also do not look our age, and the reps were clearly snobbish and rude when we asked about the community. We felt it was very discriminatory. People should never "assume" anything.

b.) Quality. Not only did we review the homes, but a friend of ours is having significant problems with their home that Lennar built. It is concerning.

c.) Lots. The homes are getting closer and closer. We understand land is at a premium in some areas, but many times it is because the builder is getting greedy. Tree Tops (and a few other communities --- not just limited to Lennar) are way too close to one another. This is also a city issue. Cities need to have stricter rules about lot size.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the report, and it is good to know there are models to see. I also had concerns about Lennar. Their "everythings included" policy seems to mean they have very little flexibility about options.

The other concern I had was how far the community is from a YMCA with an indoor pool. I like to swim in the winter, and Tree Tops seems to be at least 12 miles from the nearest YMCA with an indoor pool.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:51 AM

211 posts, read 978,862 times
The models (at least when we were there a few weeks ago) are at "The Retreat" development in Indian Land (off 521). Although we were able to see the "Tree Tops" development, at that time, there wasn't a model completed yet.

Funny you mention the "everythings included" policy because it is not very forthright. For instance, when we were about to walk through the model, my spouse immediately asked, "How do we know what is included or what is an upgrade in the model?" and the rep's reply was that, "Well, you'd need to ask. We don't put an "EI" sticker on the items that are included."

We all know that models are on steroids in terms of upgrades. We didn't particularly care for that answer.

Yes, rather far from the YMCA, but they will have a pool in the community, so unless you plan on going in the middle of winter every day, you won't need to worry about the Y.

We've decided to pass on the development all together.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
... We've decided to pass on the development all together.
Good luck to you.
Thanks. I am simply looking long term. I also like some of the bungalows and villas by Bonterra Builders which are at Walnut Creek, more north on 521. It is an all-ages community, but it has some more urban amenities like fiber-optic Internet and natural gas for cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties