U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 22,786 times

Advertisements

My sister n law is relocating to catawba, SC. Anyone have any informatin for a newcomer? They are moving from New Jersey and bought a nice home and anxious to move in and get settled. Any suggestions, hints, etc? What to do or what to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 AM

2,487 posts, read 6,072,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksongirl View Post
My sister n law is relocating to catawba, SC. Anyone have any informatin for a newcomer? They are moving from New Jersey and bought a nice home and anxious to move in and get settled. Any suggestions, hints, etc? What to do or what to stay away from?
While I don't have a whole heck of alot of information for you in regard to Catawba...I didn't want you to think we we're ignoring you.

Considered a rural area...Catawba is about as far out as you can go...and still be in York County, SC. It is probably best known for the Bowater plant, its proximity to the river, and the Indians that the area is named after.

Not much I know...but I do hope your SIL enjoys her new home and the area!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 PM

373 posts, read 810,049 times
Hi, jacksongirl! A big welcome goes out to your sis-in-law. So nice of you to do some research for her. I see you've met my pal LTC above. I live north of Catawba, in an area of uninc. Rock Hill known as Friendship. Friendship is the area hugged on two sides by the big bend in the Catawba River. This area of southeast York County enjoys a beautiful, heavily wooded, rural setting. It's quiet and private with excellent big city proximity. Lots of creeks and wildlife, small horse ranches and farms, and nice residential areas. The area boasts a large number of homes with long winding drives and beautiful setbacks into the woods.

Hints and tips for a newcomer?

Gathering info... Use City-Data would have to be the best tip I could give a newcomer, honestly. There's LOTS of valuable info on the Y & L and CLT forums. Some of it is stuff you simply can't find anywhere else. The York County CVB is a great source of info to help one orient themselves to RH and York County with maps and c & h/restaurant/ shopping/entertainment info.

Getting around... Speed limit on our section of I-77 is 60 mph. There are cops in unmarked vehicles. In our direction, on the south side of Rock Hill, the cheapest gas can usually be found at Cone or Pride at exit 77 off of I-77. The nearest gas station/convenience store for your SIL is going to be the one on SC 5 in her vicinity. You can't miss it. Also, there is a convenience store at the intersection of 21 and Hall Spencer. There are some mom and pop convenience stores/gas stations on Lesslie Hwy between RH & Catawba. Being so close to SC 5 is great because she can head east on 5 over to 521 and on to points north (Ballantyne, S. Charlotte) or south. The area around 521 is growing from a commercial standpoint and will probably eventually offer new shopping opportunities.

For fun... Rock Hill & surrounds - I am a BIG fan of hanging out in downtown RH. Great happenings there and and elsewhere in RH, plus there are a ton of fun events and fests throughout the region. Also, Winthrop College has alot going on (Go, Eagles! Big South Champs 4th year in a row!). Everything your heart might desire from many perspectives is always very nearby in Charlotte.

People... Everyone is EXTREMELY polite, friendly and neighborly. In our neck o' the woods, it is considered bad form not to wave to each and every car/person that passes by your home. Good conversation is the norm. We find it very easy to meet new people. The service and hospitality from management and staff at local businesses exceeds 4 and 5 star at times IMO. Incredible. I'm talking restaurants, shops, convenience stores, everywhere. Genuine warmth and hospitality.

Compared to where I used to live... I'm a native to a small town in WV, so I thought I was pretty laidback, but, after living in metro South FL for about 20 years, well, needless to say, I had to learn to "turn it down a notch" when we moved here in early '07. I didn't even know I had an "it" to turn down. I love it, though. In the dictionary under laidback, there is a picture of this place. It is a different lifestyle. Much less stressed.

Hope this helps. Again, welcome goes out to your SIL.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM

9,244 posts, read 5,245,888 times
Living in Catawba she will be real close to the Catawba Fish Camp in Fort Lawn ... they have great hushpuppies! And the Wagon Wheel Restaurant in Fort Lawn has delicious fried squash ... a great Sunday buffet.

Catawba is convenient to the Galleria Mall in Rock Hill and just as easy to take 521 to Pineville and Carolina Place Mall.

I hope your s-i-l and family will enjoy South Carolina and their new home and sure hope you will visit our area too.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:40 PM

2,487 posts, read 6,072,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Living in Catawba she will be real close to the Catawba Fish Camp in Fort Lawn ... they have great hushpuppies! And the Wagon Wheel Restaurant in Fort Lawn has delicious fried squash ... a great Sunday buffet.

Catawba is convenient to the Galleria Mall in Rock Hill and just as easy to take 521 to Pineville and Carolina Place Mall.

I hope your s-i-l and family will enjoy South Carolina and their new home and sure hope you will visit our area too.
Oh my parents came over the other day...and were just raving about the Catawba Fish Camp! In fact they even brought me back.....a Menu!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,044 times
We may be relocating to Rock Hill area for a job at the Bowater plant in Catawba. Were coming from central Illinois and want to get our kids into really good public schools. Our senior wants welding and machine working and our eighth grader is wanting to be an engineer. Any suggestions on schools? or areas to live in? Thanks

Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 PM

258 posts, read 480,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAM7 View Post
We may be relocating to Rock Hill area for a job at the Bowater plant in Catawba. Were coming from central Illinois and want to get our kids into really good public schools. Our senior wants welding and machine working and our eighth grader is wanting to be an engineer. Any suggestions on schools? or areas to live in? Thanks
Hello!

I have been here for five years (from Western NY), and while I don't know a lot about the schools, I can tell you this is a great area to settle in.

Since I have been here, I have heard the schools in Fort Mill are excellent. I live in Rock Hill and I think the schools here seem to be decent also. I hope others can fill you in more on that.

If you live near the interstate (I77) anywhere in York County, you can get to the Bowater plant and the areas around Charlotte very easily.

Families seem to love Tega Cay and Baxter in Fort Mill. We live in Seven Oaks in Rock Hill and love the proximity to the interstate and Dave Lyle Rd. corridor of stores.

There is a new housing development called Catawba Shores which I think is near the plant. I visited there for the first time a few weeks ago and found it lovely, although a bit out in the country.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM

85 posts, read 57,467 times
Hi Jacksongirl and Fam7 and all newcomers to the area,

I am originally from MA. My husband and I moved from MA to IL in 2004 after my hubby was laid off. Then we moved from IL to SC when he was laid off again in 2009. I am a true Northerner not, a Mid-westerner but I have to say, I found the Mid -westerners to be quite friendly! People in SC are friendly as well.

We decided to come to SC because my parents live here. They moved here from MA after my dad was laid off in 1979. They are now aging and have fragile health so I wanted to be close to them. I feel that I may be able to answer some questions that you may have. I feel for you both coming here to a strange new place.

The schools that have the best reputation are indeed the Fort Mill School. Dave Lyle Blvd. has a Shopping Mall, several chain Dept. stores and chain restaurants. There is a Target, Khols, and Walmart, TJMaxx and Ross. Grocery stores are Walmart, Bi-Lo and Food Lion all three located in Lancaster and Rock Hill. I am not sure which city you will be closest to. Rock Hill also has Earth Fare, a healthy and organic food store, and Harris Teeter a more upscale grocery chain.

Both Lancaster and Rock Hill have hospitals, go to Rock Hill (Piedmont Medical Center) for more serious illnesses and injuries. There are lots of Drs. and Dentists near both hospitals as well.

There is a church on every corner and lots of family activities are centered around church in the south. If that is not your thing, the schools offer extra curriculum activities, clubs and sports.

For nightlife, check the Rock Hill Herald, the Charlotte Observer, and online. Take a look at Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup for groups to join with common interests.

I have never been to the Catawba Fish Camp or the Wagon Wheel but my parents have and say that it is good. For breakfast in Lancaster, go the the Huddle House. Great Subs? Jersey Mike's or Penn Station In Rock Hill. I have heard great things about Capt Steve's in Fort Mill for fish. For Italian For and Pizza go to Luigi's in Rock Hill. Pizza and Chinese food are very different here. For Chinese we use #1 Kitchen and Red Bowl in Rock Hill, or China Wok in Richburg. For chicken try Lees' in Rock Hill.

Lancaster is very country, Rock Hill is a bit more of a large city, Fort Mill is more upscale. All have good and bad areas. Always lock your car and do not leave anything of interest in sight.

Newport is an up and coming area of York, it also has a fairly new Walmart. Try Cato for ladies and misses clothes in Rock Hill, York and Lancaster.

Winthrop is a well known 4 year university right in Rock Hill. York Tech is a Technical college, also in Rock Hill.

There is rich history and many museums in the greater Charlotte area. I have been to several parks and all are clean and safe for all ages. I recommend the zoo in Columbia for all ages, Rays' Splash planet in Charlotte for families, Baxter's Bunch for 6 and under, Monkey Joe's for toddler through age 7, and Sky High Sports(Trampolines) for elementary and middle school ages. Try Savannah's room for a ladies tea or girls day out. With the price of the movies be sure to go to Carmike 7 in Rock Hill, the movies are $2.00! and they have a great concession stand too!

In the spring, buy strawberries, peaches, and lots of other goodies at the Peach Stand In Ft. Mill. and attend the "Come See Me" Festival in Rock Hill. Also, be sure to check out all of the "Only in Old Town-Main St. concerts and street fairs in Rock Hill.

In the summer, seek out the local Farmers Markets in the area. On July 4th we go to Carowinds Blvd. and park just opposite Carowinds, (A huge Amusement and Water Park) to see great Fireworks. Come early, by 7 pm for a parking space.

In the fall, go to the Asheville, NC area for apples, pumpkins, shopping and a great day!

At Christmastime be sure to visit McAdenville, NC, the whole town lights up at night! and plan to attend several events at the Rock Hill's Christmasville 4 day celebration! The Playhouse in Ft. Mill usually puts on a seasonal production.

One of the hardest things for me to get used to was the accent, some are very thick and I have to ask folks to repeat what they are saying.

There are lots of places to volunteer your time. Unemployment has been very high in SC for the last 3-4 years and it has produced many in need, struggling, and homeless folks and whole families.

There are lots of dead zones in the area that may drop your cell calls and you may have trouble getting service out in the country, get a land line at home.

They do not do well here in the winter. If it snows they freak out, close schools and work places and go home. They do not have the proper equipment to deal with snow and ice is worse. When the snow melts during the day and then the temperature drops at night, the roads ice up and become treacherous, school and businesses close for days! I love the mild winters here and hate the hot summers, they get too hot to even go out!

I listen to Matt and Romona for 3-7 on 107.9 the link, they are hilarious! and NPR on Sat mornings and afternoon for fun and games on the radio.

We have Comporium cable but Dish is also available here.

Everyone goes to the Beach, and 99% of the time they are referring to Myrtle Beach. I haven't been there but I guess that it is the place to go! I go to the Outer Banks and I love it there!

That is all I can think of to share right now but feel free to ask more.

MY DISCLAIMER: I am offering only my opinions, that does not make them right but it is what I have learned, since I moved here in 2009. I am not trying to dis anyone here, as a matter of fact, I tried to post only positive comments. So let's keep this thread informative and not get petty. Just offer other opinions and options for these newcomers if you do not agree with me. I am sure that they would appreciate all the advice that they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties