Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 AM

9 posts, read 34,446 times

Advertisements

I drove by the other day and saw that the restaurant (Mama Mia) had changed names. Does anyone know why? I know the owner was ill. Is he ok? He's such a sweet (and extremely talkative!) man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 AM

119 posts, read 361,056 times
I LOVED Mama Mia's and that man was soooo nice. Rumor has it that he once belonged to the mob, (although people don't normally get "out" of the mob?) I am Italian by way of my great grandfather coming from Italy via NY harbor...

My father always wanted to go there when he and my mom were in town, (I haven't told him yet)... The new restaurant has good food and prices but very slow service for now since they just opened.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 AM

9 posts, read 34,446 times
Yea, he told us he was in the mob. What was his name, Joe? Anyway, he also told us he had brain cancer. That's why I was wondering if something happened to him.
What type of food does the new restaurant have?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:56 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I actually didn't care for Mama Mia's. My review is the first one here:

Mama Mia's, Fort Mill, SC : reviews

That being said, they were an asset to the community and did a lot of fundraiser for the Care Center.

The new place is a "greasy spoon" southern diner called Johnny K's. They serve eggs, bacon, grits, toast, hashnrowns, etc and it's real cheap. Their other location is in Indian Trail, NC. I went by the Fort Mill one and got a menu, and it was packed.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
We went to Mama Mia's often...while I was never a huge fan..the rest of the family seem to enjoy the buffet.

The owner was a really nice guy...and your right...if ever there was a fundraiser he was right their to pitch in.

I went to lunch yesterday at Johnnie K's (Greek background-but southern home cooking here). The place was packed (never saw Mama Mia's this crowded). I would like to go back and try their breakfast now (sans gravy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I actually didn't care for Mama Mia's. My review is the first one here:

Mama Mia's, Fort Mill, SC : reviews

That being said, they were an asset to the community and did a lot of fundraiser for the Care Center.

The new place is a "greasy spoon" southern diner called Johnny K's. They serve eggs, bacon, grits, toast, hashnrowns, etc and it's real cheap. Their other location is in Indian Trail, NC. I went by the Fort Mill one and got a menu, and it was packed.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 76,292 times
Joe and family are doing fine. I think it was time for them to get out of running their own business for a while (they were never able to take a vacation) and I know his wife is much more relaxed. I do miss our Friday night pizzas though...what's left in town is lacking.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 AM

There is much better pizza arounf Fort Mill than what Mama Mia's served. Like I said, nothing against the family there; they were nice enough, but I didn't think the food was that good. Try Fratelli's in Baxter (I recommend the pan pizza), Carmella's near Regent Park, or Farley's. Farley's pizza is ok, but their calzones are awesome.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 58,451 times
Mama Mia (formerly Papa Pino's) used to be a favorite of ours. It seemed in the last year that the pizzas got thinner and thinner and there were fewer on the bar. Service also declined to being outright rude sometimes. I do miss Joe. He is a really nice guy, and I hope he isn't fighting another bout with cancer.

The new place, Johnny K's, is really good. We eat from there once or twice a week and have never had a bad experience.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:52 PM

At least we agree on that. I wasn't too impressed the first time I ate at Johnny K's but gave it another shot and it was good. It depends on what you order because some of their stuff is canned which I'm not crazy about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties