Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 AM

16 posts, read 14,727 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any details on the Fort Mill Medical Center? It’s been 12 years so far of “coming soon”.
Which hospital system currently holds the contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 02:22 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
PMC won the last round in the courts, but I think CHS/Atrium put in another appeal.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:49 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,980 times
No room to build anything, all trees gone. Just houses, traffic, nail salons and apartments. We full now...LOL

Old 12-05-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
No room to build anything, all trees gone. Just houses, traffic, nail salons and apartments. We full now...LOL
Well, to be fair, both PMC and CHS already own the land they intend to use for the hospital...

Old 12-05-2018, 09:48 AM

197 posts, read 278,534 times
There is an ongoing thread here:

Here We Go Again ... Fort Mill Hospital

The last time the media covered it is here:

https://www.heraldonline.com/news/lo...200957874.html

Seems to say Atrium filed another appeal last year and it may end up with supreme court

I found this from April... it appears the supreme court sent it back to the appeals court:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/sc-supre...t/1894533.html

Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
I don't think Fort Mill is ever going to have a hospital. I don't feel healthcare of the people is the primary concern of PMC or CMC. I think it's the money!

The South Carolina Supreme Court did not rule and sent it back to the Court of Appeals in April 2018 with the following comment: "The parties have stressed to us the obvious point that it has been almost twelve years since DHEC made the determination an acute-care hospital was necessary in York County. For this reason, we order the court of appeals to expedite consideration of this case."

Email below I received from DHEC soooo the Court of Appeals went another round with a new decision with PMC being awarded the hospital and once again CMC appealed to the SC Supreme Court.

Thank you for contacting the Department regarding the Fort Mill Hospital. You are correct - the case was remanded by the Supreme Court back to the Court of Appeals earlier this year. The Court of Appeals ruled on that matter in favor of Fort Mill Hospital, as it had before. As this was a new decision of the Court of Appeals, however, it was appealable again to the Supreme Court. Shortly after the decision, Carolinas Medical Center did just that. At the present time, we are waiting for a final decision from the Supreme Court on whether the project may proceed.

Should you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Best,

Louis Eubank, Chief
Bureau of Healthcare Planning and Construction
S.C. Dept. of Health & Environmental Control
Office: (803) 545-3652
Mobile: (803) 730-0523
Connect: www.scdhec.gov Facebook Twitter[/b]
[/i]

Old 12-13-2018, 10:47 AM

197 posts, read 278,534 times
It sounds like the government is dead set on giving it to Piedmont, which is a shame, because it will give them a monopoly on the entire county to provide substandard hospital care. I'll just keep going to Pineville

If you read between the lines, they want the tax revenue from Piedmont. While CMC is a profit-hungry organization bent on getting as much money as possible, they are technically non-profit and wouldn't pay taxes. Also Piedmont whined about everyone leaving them for Fort Mill if a competitor came in... so the government is "protecting them"

Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
It sounds like the government is dead set on giving it to Piedmont, which is a shame, because it will give them a monopoly on the entire county to provide substandard hospital care. I'll just keep going to Pineville

If you read between the lines, they want the tax revenue from Piedmont. While CMC is a profit-hungry organization bent on getting as much money as possible, they are technically non-profit and wouldn't pay taxes. Also Piedmont whined about everyone leaving them for Fort Mill if a competitor came in... so the government is "protecting them"
Agreed. I also will continue to go outside York County for my healthcare needs even if PMC is just down the road.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:32 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Since Atrium Health has medical offices in York County, I would assume they would often refer patients to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, or CMC Pineville. But I don't quite understand the big issue with competing hospitals in York County. They allow Atrium and Novant to compete in Mecklenburg County. And Atrium has been allowed to acquire the big hospital system in Macon Georgia. But yet they can't operate in the neighboring suburb of their flagship hospital, CMC. Makes no sense. And just down the road, the largest hospital systems in Greenville and Columbia are merging. So I just don't get the legal issue with York County. Because if you need advanced level health care, you will be transported anyway to a hospital in Charlotte. And CMC is the only Level 1 trauma center in the region. Just let them build a better hospital for Fort Mill would seem to make better sense.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Since Atrium Health has medical offices in York County, I would assume they would often refer patients to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, or CMC Pineville. But I don't quite understand the big issue with competing hospitals in York County. They allow Atrium and Novant to compete in Mecklenburg County. And Atrium has been allowed to acquire the big hospital system in Macon Georgia. But yet they can't operate in the neighboring suburb of their flagship hospital, CMC. Makes no sense. And just down the road, the largest hospital systems in Greenville and Columbia are merging. So I just don't get the legal issue with York County. Because if you need advanced level health care, you will be transported anyway to a hospital in Charlotte. And CMC is the only Level 1 trauma center in the region. Just let them build a better hospital for Fort Mill would seem to make better sense.
I've said for a few years now that due to the explosive growth in York County since the initial bid proposals were submitted, we are really now in need of a 400-bed hospital, not the original 200-bed hospital that was planned for. They should just revise the CON, recommend two hospitals, and award both PMC and CHS the hospitals and let the marketplace determine who they want to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties