Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 06:13 AM

36 posts, read 50,137 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband's company is relocating us to Rock Hill in June. We were very excited about moving for all the possibilities but now I'm seeing and hearing such mixed reviews about Rock Hill, that I'm feeling a little bit of nervousness. One of my friends was born and raised in North Carolina and she said that she and her family have "have never really heard anything good about Rock Hill, except that it's diverse (which is important to me so that's good). "
Along with what she's said I've heard and seen comments that basically sum up to[list][*]crime is high[*]housing is small for our budget of 250k to 290k (which seems to be true for a family of 6), renting something with enough space for is is way more than we'd like to pay[*]there's nothing to do[*]several neighborhoods are shady so we have to be real careful about where we choose

Everyone has their opinion, but we will be moving so I'd loved to hear some positives from the residents. What do you like about Rock Hill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 6,848 times
Default Rock Hill - Future Relocation

Hello, momof4es.

I am responding as an outsider who also has an interest in relocating to Rock Hill, but my plan is to do so in about five years. I’m in the Cleveland/Akron OH area, but I have visited and stayed in Rock Hill now for about three years, and I will be visiting again this year. It’s a beautiful city in many areas. There is a lot of potential with the Carolina Panthers facility coming to the area, and I, too, like the diversity. Your challenge will be finding areas that will fit your family size and budget. I would start studying housing on Zillow and look at pricing and share what you are looking for with an agent once it’s time to move.

Every city has some degree of crime, but with that said there are specific areas of Rock Hill that I would not live in. There are areas south of downtown that are to be avoided, and there are neighborhoods east of Winthrop that I would look at closely before committing to a move. I would consider living in the IMMEDIATE area around Glencairn Gardens (within a couple of streets on either side and on Charlotte Street nearby), but not much outside of that area. I am personally leaning towards the area south of Dave Lyle Boulevard (at the Target store) where there are houses and condos near I-77. I don’t know much about west of downtown, but I would personally rather live closer to the freeway because of shopping and convenience going back and forth into Charlotte, Pineville and the Ballantyne areas. The further you move away from I-77 creates more of a travel-time issue.

My assessment, however, is limited in that there will be only three of us (all adults) moving, so my housing needs are different from yours. I am only looking at the areas that I believe would be safer for my family’s concerns.

Hopefully more people from the area can weigh in as I can only offer input from what I have seen and not as a resident. I get regular news updates of the area through The Herald, which has also helped shape my opinion.

I wish you well on your search.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:47 PM

36 posts, read 50,137 times
Thank you for your reply. We have so much to consider.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 PM

120 posts, read 139,771 times
Rock Hill is nice. We're in Lake Wylie and I often drive there for different reasons about once a week. We're in Lake Wylie but I wouldn't hesitate to live there if the job was there.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:53 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4es View Post
Hello. My husband's company is relocating us to Rock Hill in June. We were very excited about moving for all the possibilities but now I'm seeing and hearing such mixed reviews about Rock Hill, that I'm feeling a little bit of nervousness. One of my friends was born and raised in North Carolina and she said that she and her family have "have never really heard anything good about Rock Hill, except that it's diverse (which is important to me so that's good). "
Along with what she's said I've heard and seen comments that basically sum up to[list][*]crime is high[*]housing is small for our budget of 250k to 290k (which seems to be true for a family of 6), renting something with enough space for is is way more than we'd like to pay[*]there's nothing to do[*]several neighborhoods are shady so we have to be real careful about where we choose

Everyone has their opinion, but we will be moving so I'd loved to hear some positives from the residents. What do you like about Rock Hill?
The NC/SC relationship is quite weird, considering that they are next to one another.

I lived in Rock Hill for a year; my Parents have a house in Rock Hill. Quite frankly, I don't care for RH; I like NC much better.

What's nice about Rock Hill?

Glencaryn Gardens; many of the areas have lovely architecture, and are pleasant to the eye; the Galleria area has a nice selection of shopping; given it's size, Rock Hill's traffic isn't terrible. If you like music, Woody's Music store is a good resource...Rock Hill also has a nice selection of restaurants and bar/grilles.

What don't I like? People in other areas might be a good bit friendlier/approachable (e.g. in York, or in many parts of Gaston County); there are too few butchers; too few mechanics; too few small to medium sized hardware stores; almost no workwear type stores; not enough auto parts stores. There's a good bit of crime in certain parts - although many parts have very low crime.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:11 PM

123 posts, read 181,398 times
I am a transplant from New England who moved to Rock Hill 10 years ago. I live on the south side of town in the Country Club area. We have very low crime. There is plenty of shopping here and the mall has been sold and will be going through an upgrade soon. Two new schools are being built; An athletic high school just off of Mt. Holly Rd. and York Prep is adding another building. There are planned activities in Downtown Rock Hill all the time that are very unique and well attended. eg. The Summer Concert series, the Food Truck Fridays, Christmasville, and the Come See Me Festival in the spring are just a few. My grandchildren come here several times a year. We have always found plenty of things for them to do over the past 10 years. As they have grown, we have chosen age-appropriate events and activities for them There are plenty of beautiful parks, restaurants, movies, and coming soon... the Panthers Practice facility! We have a Wake Park for cool water sports, Disk Golf on the grounds of Winthrop College, a motorsports arena, a huge soccer complex, and The brand new Rock Hill Sports & Event Center is the sports hub. There are breweries and coffee shops, farmer's markets and museums, theater, and Fourth of July fireworks right here in Rock Hill! I wonder why someone said there is nothing to do? If you want to venture across the borders of Rock Hill, there is Carowinds Amusement and Water Park, Charlotte is just 30 minutes away which has even more to offer, the Airport is 40 minutes away, the best zoo around is 1 hour away, and Myrtle Beach is 3 hours away! I say, come on to Rock Hill, I bet you'll like it!

Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrbubba View Post
I am a transplant from New England who moved to Rock Hill 10 years ago. I live on the south side of town in the Country Club area. We have very low crime. There is plenty of shopping here and the mall has been sold and will be going through an upgrade soon. Two new schools are being built; An athletic high school just off of Mt. Holly Rd. and York Prep is adding another building. There are planned activities in Downtown Rock Hill all the time that are very unique and well attended. eg. The Summer Concert series, the Food Truck Fridays, Christmasville, and the Come See Me Festival in the spring are just a few. My grandchildren come here several times a year. We have always found plenty of things for them to do over the past 10 years. As they have grown, we have chosen age-appropriate events and activities for them There are plenty of beautiful parks, restaurants, movies, and coming soon... the Panthers Practice facility! We have a Wake Park for cool water sports, Disk Golf on the grounds of Winthrop College, a motorsports arena, a huge soccer complex, and The brand new Rock Hill Sports & Event Center is the sports hub. There are breweries and coffee shops, farmer's markets and museums, theater, and Fourth of July fireworks right here in Rock Hill! I wonder why someone said there is nothing to do? If you want to venture across the borders of Rock Hill, there is Carowinds Amusement and Water Park, Charlotte is just 30 minutes away which has even more to offer, the Airport is 40 minutes away, the best zoo around is 1 hour away, and Myrtle Beach is 3 hours away! I say, come on to Rock Hill, I bet you'll like it!
Yours is a very accurate and helpfully descriptive post, and I agree that the zoo in Columbia is great.

Rock Hill is not a party town, but it is *far* from being a sleepy town...I dunno how or why anyone could call the area boring - unless they're the type of person looking for Chinese food at 4AM.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:35 AM

200 posts, read 173,656 times
Every city/ town has one section that is a little rough around the edges. RH and FM both have them . RH will be considerably cheaper and you can buy a home in a good safe area. Schools dont sound like they will be an issue and IMO opinion RH has better convenience and more overall retail options that FM.

Last edited by fastball92; 04-29-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 05:08 AM

158 posts, read 180,448 times
Stop believing everything you read here. I moved here from Iowa. I live in RH and I have for 2.5 years. My wife is a real estate agent and she is thriving here. RH is a great area that is booming. What I have learned is most people that live around Charlotte throw their nose up like they are too good for Rock Hill, it's laughable. Meanwhile we enjoy all the amenities here without paying the Charlotte premium. It's a great place to live, we have Lake Wylie which is 13,500 acres for boating, fishing, etc.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:01 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post
What I have learned is most people that live around Charlotte throw their nose up like they are too good for Rock Hill, it's laughable.
Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties