Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 AM

14 posts, read 36,097 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where to complain about an HOA?

My mom has a condominum in Rock Hill. The Board is not answering any letters sent to them. They are not enforcing the rules of the neighborhood. They are refusing to even trim any bushes which is something they are required to do according to the by-laws.

Is there any legal recourse outside of hiring a lawyer?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 AM

151 posts, read 570,991 times
Stop paying your HOA dues and see what happens.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:35 PM

24 posts, read 61,203 times
which one is it?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 PM

74 posts, read 247,889 times
yea really if they arent doing what should be done....dont pay for a month or so..im sure they will call her to get their $!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 PM

36 posts, read 186,301 times
Default Hoa

Not paying your association dues will only hurt your credit and possibly create a lien on your condo.

You need to find out who the HOA president is and contact them. Get their address and send them a certified letter.

It is very difficult to get the HOA to do anything when the board members are not residents but investors who don't live in the area.

Contact a lawyer. The property neglect will affect the property values and you could be able to sue the HOA for damages.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 36,097 times
Unfortunately the president is selling and most of the board don't live there. My mom can't afford a lawyer and most of the residents can't afford a lawyer so they are really taking advantage. One of the trees fell and they said they aren't going to take it away.

I already wrote them a letter 2 months ago and they ignored it.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:09 AM

38 posts, read 109,387 times
Could the residents all group together with funds to get a lawyer? You could start slow and get the lawyer to draft a letter to the president of the HOA and see if that gets any results.

Another thought would be to contact the Rock Hill newspaper and see if they will take some interest in your story.

This must be so frustrating for the residents! I would be furious!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 AM

163 posts, read 586,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Wendy View Post
Unfortunately the president is selling and most of the board don't live there. My mom can't afford a lawyer and most of the residents can't afford a lawyer so they are really taking advantage. One of the trees fell and they said they aren't going to take it away.

I already wrote them a letter 2 months ago and they ignored it.
I would contact the news....I am sure this is a story that they may be interested in airing....

Lots of times the news will get involved when the *big boys* are taking advantage of the *little people*

I hope things work out!

Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 PM

151 posts, read 570,991 times
I know it's not funny, but it's funny. I suggested not paying the HOA, but that was tongue in cheek. Sorry I couldn't resist. You realize if you sue the HOA, in effect you are suing yourself, right? Imagine a lengthy bout in court, lawyer fees on both sides. Let's say you prevail, but the HOA has to backfill the cost of the lawyers. Who pays? You do, it's your HOA. The best way to deal with this is to first try and be reasonable, and come to an agreement. If you and your neighbors agree there is a problem, then vote the rascals out. Check your CCRs/bylaws, and vote them out.

As far as the tree, you know... Someone may own a chainsaw, someone else may own a truck. Someone surely can mix up a batch of sweet tea, and yet someone else can bring the ice. Turn it into a party, and as a community, take your destiny into your own hands. There are more terrible things in life than fallen trees!

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties