Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times

Advertisements

I posted this thread in the Charlotte forum but felt I should do this here since I live in Fort Mill.

It appears that water restrictions have eased up a little bit (one day a week watering) so we are back evaluating the need to put ground cover on our hill. Of course our decision to proceed depends on how much watering the new planting will take. Ecoscapes had put in the landscaping in our community so I can approach them directly for an estimate to do this. I need recommendations from possibly two other landscapers you folks have used and were happy with both the work and price. I am not awfully keen on junipers and would prefer groundcover that have small flowers. I prefer individual entrepreneurs vs large companies like Ecoscapes, so if any of you have used one, had similar plants planted and were happy with the workmanship and the price, please let me know. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 06:07 AM

146 posts, read 572,517 times
JV Vacher, Green Acres, 704-634-8479. He's been doing our lawn for 2 years and does a fantastic job. Very dependable, does what he says he's going to do when he says he's going to do it. Has branched out to do more landscaping, hardscapes and fence jobs.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 AM

119 posts, read 361,150 times
I don't know of landscapers, but there is a groundcover with little purple flowers in the spring. I am trying to remember the name and think it's a kind of perennial vinca...

Phlox is also really nice in the spring... The carpets of pinks, purples, whites, etc...

Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Wild vinca, as other poster said, has small blue flowers and will take over your yard if you let it. As I remember, it is green in the winter but not sure about that. Also, some people like bind weed for it's small white flowers all summer and it's ferocious growth habit. I personally hate it as the runners can be 6 ft long and very deep. Hard to eradicate.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM

425 posts, read 1,570,879 times
We have been very pleased with Burris Brothers. They do everything from tree removal, bedding design , wall building, patio's and irrigation. What I liked is that we said we want to do X now and then in future we want to do X,Y and Z and two days later free of charge Billy came back with full plans of all we wanted to do broken down with cost per project. He made plant suggestions and a sensible order of what our long term goals were. Best of all they are VERY reasonably priced and have a great hard working staff.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM

174 posts, read 732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I posted this thread in the Charlotte forum but felt I should do this here since I live in Fort Mill.

It appears that water restrictions have eased up a little bit (one day a week watering) so we are back evaluating the need to put ground cover on our hill. Of course our decision to proceed depends on how much watering the new planting will take. Ecoscapes had put in the landscaping in our community so I can approach them directly for an estimate to do this. I need recommendations from possibly two other landscapers you folks have used and were happy with both the work and price. I am not awfully keen on junipers and would prefer groundcover that have small flowers. I prefer individual entrepreneurs vs large companies like Ecoscapes, so if any of you have used one, had similar plants planted and were happy with the workmanship and the price, please let me know. Thanks all!
OConnor landscaping is a very good company. They do all of our common area work at Sunset Point. Jimmy OConnor is a great guy to work with.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Hi sixinthefamily - thanks for a very thorough description of your experience with this contractor. Please DM me with his contact info, better if he has a website. I like the stage approach on the quote as well...sometimes, we just don't have the money to do it all at once! It's good that he realizes that repeat business can only come that way. Our GC up north was the same way, and we just kept returning back to them to have them execute what they earlier quoted on us, of course understanding that sometimes, materials and/or project costs would change. I'll make sure to let him know that you have been very happy with him!

Thanks to the others as well for your contact info and things to watch out for. I have been reading on succulents on the net as ground cover and while they were extremely drought tolerant (good for the once a week watering we have right now), some of them are really weeds and can be invasive and outta control. I'd hate to have to do my neighbor's lawns as well cuz my weeds are in their lawns too! Bad enough we have to work on our own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties