Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,094 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of information on this site and it has been great. I wanted to see if there where any new thoughts regarding Whitley Mills, Spicewood, and The Reserve at Gold Hill.

We are here for the week and have narrowed our search to a resell in Whitley Mills or a new home in Spice Wood. My favorite is The Reserve at Gold Hill but it's a little out of our price range. Does anyone think it's worth it to stretch our budget.

We are really looking for the best appreciation in a 3-5 year period. Are community pools better for resell, Spicewood does not have one.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by jumfg0l; 05-13-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 12:52 AM

187 posts, read 549,436 times
I was personally just looking at resales in Whitley Mills, and I'll say the following things about it:

- Quiet
- Well-built homes
- Friendly people
- Decent amenities
- Nice wooded lots (depending on location)

Spicewood was nice enough too (I went by there), but I'm concerned with the lack of lots left, as most of them that are available back up to Gold Hill Road, and I wouldn't want to live that close to a really busy thoroughfare. Total personal preference thing, mind you, but it's there.

Another pain in the butt for Spicewood was the lack of a stop light at the Gold Hill intersection. I would imagine that would be a total nightmare in the mornings if you were trying to turn left.

If I were given the choice strictly between those two, I'd probably choose Whitley Mills, but that's just one person's opinion.

If you're wondering which I chose (I mentioned looking at resales in WM and Spicewood)...I chose neither.

I would weigh the pros and cons -- as I would anywhere -- and see what comes out the winner. Best of luck in your search!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,094 times
Thank you very much for the info. If you don't mind me asking, what community did you choose?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:37 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
I live at the Reserve but we looked at Spicewood before making our purchase. Things we did not like about Spicewood was (then) the limited upgrades available, lack of architectural details in the interior, and none of the floorplans filled our requirements. After a lengthy conversation with their sales people who were trying to bring us back, they made a lot of things standard now (granite countertops, S/S appliances, etc.), but it was too late. Their largest floorplans had too large of the rooms we did not need (bonus/media room) and a living room instead of an enclosed den/library/office. Their rooms were small and their showers even smaller. The Reserve, while a little more pricey had everything we wanted in the floor plans and architectural details.

It is not difficult to make a left turn in the morning because there is the median where you can wait until it's clear to merge into Gold Hill. Of course, as we are, you could be behind your neighbors who don't know what the median is for and wait forever to cross since they want to get a straight merge onto the street. The coast is clear for crossing into the median to make a left once the traffic light at Knightsbridge is a red.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 PM

187 posts, read 549,436 times
I'm (well, will be) on the other side of FM over near Regent Park. I looked pretty long and hard at the Gold Hill side of FM, but found more of what fit me where I'll be.

It's a complete "your mileage may vary" situation, so I'm keeping my comments somewhat limited. If there's anything else I can help with, send me a DM.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:38 AM

48 posts, read 179,846 times
Default Fort Mill

Ive been reading posts here and we are looking to buy a house. I though soembody here could help us. We are originally from the SW but lived in DE for the last 4 ys. Hubby works downtown, kids are in college in AZ( we are young empty nester,LOL) We may live here between 10-15 yr( we never know though) Can anyone tell me what is the deal with building a pool in your backyard? are there many restrictions? I did talk to York county and learnt that property has to be outside city limits. I was just curious cause you would think in this climate more people would have pools. Also for what I have seen, communities that have pools are very restrictive with the hours they are open , if I understood correctly.I don't think I ve seen any 24/7 community pool. One more question, do you know of any community that has indoor pool and fitness center as part of amenities?
We are thinking Fort Mill, or anything close to lake wylie on sc trying not to have a very long commute to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties