U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM

8 posts, read 26,370 times
Default Is Lake Wylie safe?

Hi,
I just moved into Fort Mill and took our kids to Lake Wylie for some much needed family time. However, my son (the only one who swam in the lake) has developed a serious sinus infection. When we went to the doctor, he remarked that it was unusual to develop a sinus infection with no cold or other virus to precede it. He suggested one possible cause might be swimming in dirty or contaminated water. Does anyone know if these lakes are safe to swim in or know of any place that I could get more information?
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 PM

608 posts, read 1,065,608 times
My wife and I have been swimming in the lake for a number of years and never a problem. Maybe it's the strong liquid refreshment we enjoy after swimming that wards off everything.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:54 AM

245 posts, read 673,764 times
My kids have gotten bad ear infections after swimming in the lakes. The doctor says it's from dirty water and dirt getting stuck in their ears. We still swim in them, just try not to go under.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 26,370 times
That's a good idea. Since I don't think the police would believe my story that I was only giving my ten year old "strong liquid refreshment" as an antidote to infections from the lake , I think we will just avoid going under for now. Thanks to both of you for your input!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:49 AM

7 posts, read 17,105 times
Default same problem!

Hi, I know this posting was a month ago, but I just wanted to let you know that it is not only Lake Wylie. I am having the same problem with Lake Hickory this summer. I have already gotten 2 serious sinus infections and since the summer started and both came a few days after being in the lake water. I tend to lean towards the idea of us not getting enough rain and the bacteria had a chance to mulitply so much last year. I have never had a problem in years past... wish the best for the rest of the season I guess! I think that using a neti-pot and rinsing the sinuses after getting home and using a mixture of alcohol and white vinegar drops for the ears helps to kill off and wash out any bacteria which may have moved on up to case the problems. Try that... hopefully it will help!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:14 AM

151 posts, read 371,848 times
I read this post some time ago, and thought, yah it's just brown water nothing to worry about. These lakes here in the south are nothing like the lakes I am accustomed to, where it's clear blue water. However, when in Rome... Well yesterday I took my son fishing on the banks, dropped a few worms and he caught a nice 3 to 4lb catfish. Someone else who was fishing nearby also caught several catfish as well, so of course we struck up a conversation. The gentlemen asked me, "you know if leaches carry disease?". I thought that's an odd question, stated no, I think they use them in surgery from time to time. I asked him why he was interested, and he said "well there are leaches in the lake", and I said **WHAT**, and he said sure come take a look. I looked at the catfish, and sure enough there was a small leach attached near its mouth! Yikes, I don't like anything that sucks blood, leaches included. Needless to say, that beachclub pool is looking pretty good right about now!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 PM

444 posts, read 1,065,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsugi View Post
Hi,
I just moved into Fort Mill and took our kids to Lake Wylie for some much needed family time. However, my son (the only one who swam in the lake) has developed a serious sinus infection. When we went to the doctor, he remarked that it was unusual to develop a sinus infection with no cold or other virus to precede it. He suggested one possible cause might be swimming in dirty or contaminated water. Does anyone know if these lakes are safe to swim in or know of any place that I could get more information?
Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
There was an article in the Lake Wylie Pilot recently regarding the water purity of Lake Wylie.
In brief - June 3, 2008

By Staff Reports

Lake Wylie Pilot

this stated that the water purity was good on June 3, 2008.
Perhaps you could go to the Lake Wylie Pilot site and find information that could be helpful to you.

We lived on the lake for ten years and never had a problem with the children playing in the water. So for us it was just fine during that time.

Good luck!

Dunroven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties