U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 AM

8 posts, read 18,843 times
Default Reserve at Gold Hill

Hi,

My wife and I are looking hard at this subdivision, and were hoping we could get some feedback/advice/words of wisdom from folks who have bought there or considered purchasing there.

We have a 6 year old, and we both work in downtown Charlotte. To us the schools, the relatively easy commute up 77, and the convenience of plenty of retail nearby on 160 make the location very attractive.

The pricing on the Standard Pacific floor plans there is within our budget, we found a floor plan that we really like, and the neighborhood seems well kept up with a nice pool and clubhouse area.

Are there any buyer beware issues that we haven't considered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 AM

285 posts, read 639,823 times
I looked in Reserve but bought in Knightsbridge next door. The area does have good shopping, especially with the addition of the new Wal-Mart center and associated stores.

You will still need to drive into Rock Hill fairly often. We go there for doctors, stores and restaurants. You can go to Rivergate (160 and Tryon) or on over to Pineville/Ballantyne.

I've found that traffic to get onto I-77 is the slowest part, but that is at 8:00.

The school issue isn't settled yet for elementary. They are building a new elementary school, but the attendance boundaries are not drawn up. You are slated for Orchard Park, but newcomers rarely get in due to crowding. Your child would then go to Riverview. Hopefully Fall 09 our area will be going to the new Pleasant Knoll Elementary on Pleasant Road, but there are no guarantees.

I loved the houses in Reserve, but didn't care for the lots. Lots of high berms and no back yards. I'm sure there are some better lots though. You will like the area I think.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 AM

16,280 posts, read 29,956,131 times
The librarian at Ft. Mill said the commute up I-77 was "a nightmare." I know I've seen many people on the board talking about the back ways to get into Uptown.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:56 PM

149 posts, read 356,617 times
The commute up 77 is not so easy. It is a fairly short distance, however traffic is usually crazy. Not a day goes by that there isn't an accident and of course "onlooker delay" which still cracks me up. I drive it everyday but fortunately only have to go to South Charlotte.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 PM

2,519 posts, read 1,607,387 times
Traffic isn't nearly as bad as coming west on 485 from Ballantyne or south on 77 from Huntersville or up Independence from Union County. We are planning on living in the Fort Mill area because from what we have seen the commute to Uptown is not that bad.. 30 minutes. Coming from Miami, our journey for living 15 miles out would take 1 hour to 1.5 hours to commute. My Fiancee tested from Wachovia One to Gold Hill Road exit this past week at 5:30pm and made the journey in 20 minutes.

From what we have been told, the only traffic you should occur is around arrowood merge on 77 and/or if there is an accident. Watching the news, 77 coming from the south doesn't have as many accidents as coming from the north or independence.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:49 PM

I guess the commute is a matter of perspective. I am out near Clover now, and I spend 20-30 minutes just getting to 77. Things bottle up where 485 feeds onto 77 until you get to Tyvola, where it generally opens back up until I get off at 277. I am salivating at the thought of just doing the 77 leg of the commute!

I stayed with a friend in Marvin back in March for a few days, and I got a taste of 521 (Johnston Rd) to 485 to 77 and the alternative 521 to Park Road all the way in. I stopped house hunting in northern Lancaster County shortly thereafter. To me the Ft. Mill commute is not ideal, but is preferable to the Union/Lancaster commute.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:45 PM

4,732 posts, read 13,318,575 times
716...must be from WNY...You must try Towne Tavern in Fort Mill

Old 05-31-2008, 06:37 AM

Small town between Buffalo & Rochester called Albion. Good wings at Towne Tavern? Where in Ft. Mill is it? Are you from WNY?

Last edited by 716-704-803; 05-31-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 AM

5,970 posts, read 12,097,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 716-704-803 View Post
Small town between Buffalo & Rochester called Albion. Good wings at Towne Taven? Where in Ft. Mill is it? Are you from WNY?
We practically make Monday night at Towne Tavern a routine. Two for one wings...hot garlic is the best, and plenty to take home. You SHOULD really try it! Tuesday is Kids Eat Free night, and everyday there is a beer on sale. It's on 160 West - coming from Gold Hill, on your left before Baxter.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:01 AM

16,280 posts, read 29,956,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
We practically make Monday night at Towne Tavern a routine. Two for one wings...hot garlic is the best, and plenty to take home. You SHOULD really try it! Tuesday is Kids Eat Free night, and everyday there is a beer on sale. It's on 160 West - coming from Gold Hill, on your left before Baxter.
Ohhhh. my son and wife will love Tuesday nights! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties