Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 41,492 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! Do you have any ideas of places I can take my 4-year-olds fishing in the York/Lake Wylie/Ft. Mill area? I have heard of a park in Ft. Mill that children can fish for free? Do they still need licenses?

We have no boat, so that's the complication

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 28,448 times
In SC, according to the DNR website, you don't need a fishing license until you turn 16

Old 06-04-2008, 02:05 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyb79 View Post
Hey everybody! Do you have any ideas of places I can take my 4-year-olds fishing in the York/Lake Wylie/Ft. Mill area? I have heard of a park in Ft. Mill that children can fish for free? Do they still need licenses?

We have no boat, so that's the complication

Thank you for your help!
I saw on another post that you reside in Bethelfields so with that in mind I would suggest you check out:

McDowell Park in Charlotte, NC
(just off Hwy 49 - just on the otherside of Buster Boyd Bridge from where you are located
McDowell (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Inside+The+Department/Divisions/Stewardship+Services/Nature+Preserves/McDowell.htm - broken link)

(also there is a Tackle Loaner Program at McDowell you may be interested in)

The Division of Natural Resources and the North Carolina Wildlife Commission have formed a partnership to loan free rods, reels and tackle to local anglers. Participants can enroll in the program by filling out a form at McDowell Nature Center, Latta Plantation Nature Center, or Reedy Creek Nature Center. Once enrolled, participants receive a card that works much like a library card. Participants use the card to check out fishing equipment from the nature centers for a 24-hour period. The program is open to all ages. Bait is NOT provided. For more information on the program, please call 704-598-8857.

-There's also a fishing pier off Allison Creek off Lake Wylie

SCDNR - Fishing Access Sites (you can also use this website to check for other bank fishing spots by county in SC).

-Then there is Anne Spring Close Greenway in Fort Mill, SC. The only thing is....to fish...you need to be a member (but it really is a wonderful place for kids...oh heck it is a great place for adults too)

Anne Springs Close Greenway General Information

*lastly the previous poster is correct...any children under the age of 16 do not need a fishing license. But I will also warn you that if you ever decide to fish made sure you have a fishing license to the state you are fishing in (NC and SC license or Not interchangeable).

Happy Fishing!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:41 PM

151 posts, read 570,813 times
Man oh man, I've taken my 6 year old out 4 times so far, and we haven't caught anything. I hope you have better luck, granted I'm no Bass Master Pro, but if I keep up this streak my son may lose interest!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM

6 posts, read 41,492 times
Default Wow, thanks!

You guys are wonderful, thank you so much for the replies! I am thinking of getting my husband a family pass to Anne Springs for Father's Day. Yay!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 AM

95 posts, read 385,727 times
If you take 160 East out of Fort Mill there is a little country store on the right before you cross Sugar Creek that sells crickets. I was enlightened this by a long time local as his kids pulled out fish after fish (and then threw back) from a local pond in the area.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyb79 View Post
You guys are wonderful, thank you so much for the replies! I am thinking of getting my husband a family pass to Anne Springs for Father's Day. Yay!
What a great Father Day gift idea froggyb79!

While you, or anyone is/are able to enjoy the greenway (there is a $2 dollar daily fee)....non-members are not able to fish. (this is where the membership comes in handy).

Our favorite way to spend the day at the greenway is to pack a picnic lunch and head out on the trails afterwards. Also a couple of places not to miss within the greenway: take the kids up to the top of the silo (behind the dairy barn) to check out the amazing view, take a walk on the swinging bridge, and visit the goats, horses, and cattle.

There's also camping within the greenway (primitive), and if your into horses you can go horseback riding on the trails (your children are still a tad to young though as they have to be at least 9)...but it might make for a nice outing for Mom and Dad.

You missed the Earth Day Celebration by a few months...which is really a fun day for the whole family...but make sure Dad (and the rest of the family) makes it over to the BBQ and Bluegrass Festival on September 20th.

Enjoy!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
There's a nice little pond off of Fairway (place, street?) between Doby's Bridge Rd and Banks St that you can park and fish. People are always out there fishing.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 14,476 times
Just to add to the original question... For another newbie to Ft. Mill where can I bring my fly rod to do some fishing( I have no problem hiking back a ways since I do not have kids). I keep crossing over the Catawba River in my travels and it looks like it might have some good fishing but I have no idea how to access it. I know fishermen hate to divulge their spots but any help on at least where to begin till I can find my own hot spots I would apperciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties