Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,537,304 times

Advertisements

I am in Fort Mill. Copperheads are abundant. I have killed one in my very suburban driveway wtih a shovel [they are not endangered at all] and seen plenty in the woods.

It would probably pay to learn your poisonous snakes in SC. Whatever you do though leave the non posionous ones alone and don't bother the poisonous ones when they are where they are supposed to be. A little common sense in the woods is adequate - -

Snakes of South Carolina and Georgia, SC and GA

The map shows cottonmouths not in the Charlotte area but we have seen them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 AM

48 posts, read 179,577 times
Deers are regulars in our back yard, we ve seen snakes too. Squirrels, rabbits, lizards daily . Yesterday I saw a fox for the first time!

anyone knows if there's problems with lime disease in the area?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,294,960 times
Lyme Disease is definitely here, but as the map shows, it is low to minimal risk. Just use spray w/ DEET when you spend time outside . . . check your children and animals for ticks . . . and be aware of the warning signs.

DVBID: Risk Map | CDC Lyme Disease (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/riskmap.htm - broken link)

Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 PM

392 posts, read 1,181,795 times
In answer to your inquiry, Dunroven, I live SW from you across the river in the vicinity of the area known as Friendship. Love it. Here is a cool website that provides a checklist of the plants and animals in the Catawba corridor in SC. Here is a version of the same checklist in PDF form.

Have not seen any felis rufus (bobcat) around here yet, but there was a felis catus here the night we moved in. We tamed him and brought him inside, where he now enjoys observing nature from a safe and comfy window perch.
Attached Thumbnails
Critters-butters-window.jpg   Critters-butters-inside.jpg  

Old 06-23-2008, 06:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,294,960 times
LOVE the pix, ARG!!! I am so glad you rescued Felis catus, hee hee.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:37 PM

444 posts, read 1,646,609 times
Indeed a very nice rescue! I don't know where friendship is located but it appears that you live in a very nice area!!!

Can't wait to get out there and see more of the nature provided in this area!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM

48 posts, read 179,577 times
Default Foxes

Hey! as always, thank you for answers! Now.. I thought a fox walking my yard was cute...but today I read about a girl bitten by a rabbied one in Clover SC. Are we supposed to call somebody if we see a fox? Can you tell just looking at the fox if it has the rabbies? Should we attemp to kill the animal?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,537,304 times
Foxes are EVERYWHERE as are Racoons. Call animal control if they are acting strangely such as staggering, standing ground instead of running, etc. If they are running away with intent when startled they are probably ok [but I would not bother them]. Racoons you really don't normally see during the day so I would be concerned about seeing any of them during daylight hours.

I sure would not call animal control over seeing a very common animal in our area if it was acting normally.

We do have a lot of rabies in the area and I am in the woods all the time --- but you can't really tell if the animal has rabies or distemper [another common problem with racoons] or is just sick from something else so give it a wide berth. Never approach a wild animal.

If you live near the country, make a pot of tea and sit out on your porch on summer nights and listen to the melodious sounds of the coonhounds on a night hunt. Ahhhhh, sweet.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/othergameregs.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-25-2008, 09:00 PM

2,362 posts, read 4,862,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am in Fort Mill. Copperheads are abundant. I have killed one in my very suburban driveway wtih a shovel [they are not endangered at all] and seen plenty in the woods.

It would probably pay to learn your poisonous snakes in SC. Whatever you do though leave the non posionous ones alone and don't bother the poisonous ones when they are where they are supposed to be. A little common sense in the woods is adequate - -

Snakes of South Carolina and Georgia, SC and GA

The map shows cottonmouths not in the Charlotte area but we have seen them.

ACK!!! I didn't need to read this! I am positively terrified of snakes of ANY kind. So leaving them alone is not a problem......well, unless they are in or about to come in my house or garage!!! Seeing one in my driveway would just about cause me to be housebound for a long while!! When they say that snakes are more afraid of us than we are of them....well, they have never met me, I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties