Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM

25 posts, read 70,371 times

Advertisements

Looking to purchase a home in this subdivision and would like to know any pros or cons that should be noted. Four lane road coming to Doby's Bridge road and when, Bypass coming and when, Ryan Homes builder customer service and watch-outs, etc.

Thanks, fastlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 PM

201 posts, read 598,646 times
We live in Dominion Bridge and have been very pleased with the Ryan Home service and construction. We just moved here in May. I think there are only a few lots left. The neighborhood has cul-de-sac get togethers; friendly; nice mix of ages. I've heard the By-pass may have been re-routed, but I don't know for sure. Watch out: Cell phone coverage is moderate - some dropped calls, etc. when we're inside the house - have to step out on the porch to get really good reception. We just decided to go ahead and have Comporium put in a land line.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the reply, We looked at the neighborhood and it appears to be pretty nice.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
What did you hear about rerouting, I would be interested in knowing. Last I heard was coming in on the East side of the ball field. I am in Whitegrove and basically happy with our Ryan home - the plumbing details not so much but the rest was all good.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:57 AM

Nothing specific about the re-routing, only that this was being looked at. What are you referencing when you say the plumbing details.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Our water pressure is not good and the control valve is not accessible [plumber thinks it is under the driveway - when we bought the home Whitegrove had a known wter pressure problem but when the overall pressure improved - and we can tell this at our irriagatin meter, the pressure in the house did not]. Pressure is adequate for single users but not for multiple simultaneous uses [e.g., you flush the toilet the shower slows]

A toilet was mounted too close to the wall and to get the lid to fit you have to force the tank forward which causes the water to run.** When we bought the house, the home inspector picked up an improperly installed toilet in the one bedroom, which was repaired, but not the one with the lid issue. They put a cleanout in the driveway which is fine, but cars running over the cap destroyed it and it is an odd size.

Typical of a tract home, too, are the cheap fixtures and cabinets. But the overall construction is solid - inspector even commented on the excellent quality of the framing work they did. I would buy another Ryan home but I would have an inspector as part of the contract and find one better than I used this time.

You can PM for who NOT to hire and who I think did a good job for me on another home.

Like many of the homes in our neighborhood [think 1995] polybutyelene was used, and was ok for code at the time of construction, but fortunately, the used the "ok" fittings, NOT the defective ones.

**THIS should have been a disclosure - or fixed - you cannot tell me the previous homeowner was oblivious to this - their historical water bills were not abnormal as ours were when we discoverd the problem.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:25 AM

Unlike the poster in Whitegrove, we do not experience any water pressure or plumbing problems in Dominion Bridge. We have had 2 showers, dishwasher, and washing machine all running at once with no problems. The toilets they put in are made by Briggs and the cabinets are by Timberlake. In Dominion Bridge, when we bought, they were including the taller 42" cabinets with crown moulding in the kitchen. My husband works for an architectural and engineering company, and we came out to see the house a lot while it was under construction. He was pleased with the quality of construction.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:19 AM

63 posts, read 298,925 times
We also live in Domion Bridge, and have been happy with the house and Ryan homes. Anything we found wrong or not to our liking has been fixed quickly, unlike other bulders in the area. Many other builders are in financial trouble and will cut any corner to save money, Ryan is solid and Nick the building manager has been great.

The bypass may or may not be 4 lanes, they were going to build just two lanes, but have gone back to the planning stage and it looks like they will build two lanes, but buy enough right of way for four lanes plus a turn lane. They need to build the road quickly, the school district needs to build a new elementry and middle school along the new road, and it is holding up development of Massey further down Doby's Bridge. If you drive down Whites Rd from Domion Bridge, you can can see the proposed path of the new road cutting off to the right into the brush.

As for Doby's bridge road, there are no current plans to widen the road, any plans to widen Doby's Bridge would go into the next Pennys for Progress plan, which has not even been drawn up. You can see the first two Penny for Progress plans here, with list of each project the plan pays for. www.penniesforprogress.net The county is already behind on funding the 2003 plan due to the rise in construction cost, so any plans for Doby's bridge are years away or just uninformed rumors.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:35 PM

robm,
Is that road cutting that you are referring to the road that's cutting through the brush across from where Sora comes into White's? We wondered what that was.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:12 PM

63 posts, read 298,925 times
The stakes they used to survey for the bypass tie into that dirt road a ways down, but the bypass will turn away from Whites Rd just after the little church on the corner. Go about 30 yards past the church, there is a little cut straight through the brush with survey stackes every few hundred feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties