Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 07:34 AM

2,360 posts, read 4,844,773 times

Advertisements

I asked this over on the Charlotte boards, but didn't get much response. So I'm trying it here.

Our daughter is going to visit us over the Labor Day weekend for 5 days and we would like to take her on a picnic to a park. Looking for one that would not have gobs of people, and with a picnic area overlooking the lake or something. Just a nice quiet time. Our house is in Sun City and would like to stay within 1/2 hours drive or so. Someone directed me to the SC parks site and after looking at several, I have narrowed it down to the following in order of what I think would work:

Landsford Canal State Park - Seems like it would be an interesting place to see with the dam and rapids. Map appears to have picnic tables overlooking the river.

Chester State Park -- Was suggested on the other board as a smaller park, so less traffic and picnic tables overlooking the lake but is a further drive.

Hubby suggested Andrew Jackson State Park just down the road, but from the map on the park site it doesn't appear to have picnic tables overlooking the lake. Is that right? Appears that you have to walk a bit to see it and I would prefer to just sit and relax and enjoy the picnic with a view.

Help? Any suggestions from this side of the border???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM

149 posts, read 579,354 times
I have been to Landsford Canal. It is a very nice park with lots to do. There is a hiking trail that follows the river and what is left of the old canal. I would recommend it.

There is also Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill. It has alot of trails and picnic areas. Anne Springs Close Greenway

I have driven by Chester State Park and I have heard that it is nice but it is quite a ways out there.

Andrew Jackson is nice and they do have the little Colonial place, and sometimes living history programs. The SC Parks website shows that there is a picnic shelter there. Here is the link to the map. http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/common/maps/parksmap/MapAndrewJackson.pdf (broken link)

Here are a few sites that have helped me in my search of places to go. You can search which area of the state that you would like to visit.
South Carolina State Parks
South Carolina tourism official site - South Carolina vacations

Hope that helps you out!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 PM

392 posts, read 1,179,516 times
Hi rothbear! Hope all is going great over there in Sun City. Not sure if you have made plans already, but...

Landsford Canal State Park is a great place for a picnic as you describe, 1/2 hr from you, picnic tables within view of the water. Beautiful place. Very historic and interesting, too.

Chester State Park is also a great place for a picnic, very scenic, serene lake there with a boathouse and johnboats for rent, nature trail. For you, R-bear, it is a little further than you indicated you want to drive. It is worth the drive on a day you want to make the time for it.

I'll add some other great, nearby picnic places to this thread when I get the chance.

Have fun!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 AM

201 posts, read 596,928 times
Rothbear,
This is off topic, but since you live in Sun City, I thought you might be able to advise. We moved here a few months ago, are in our early 50's, and are interested in activities/groups/book clubs, etc. for people in their 50's and 60's that meet during the evenings since we both work. From what I understand, SunCity's activities are not open to the public? Have any ideas?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM

153 posts, read 471,860 times
Like others, I would suggest Andrew Jackson or Landsford Canal S.P. Both are a short drive from Carolina Lakes.

I'd be hesitant about going to any park on Saturday, Sunday or Monday of the Labor Day weekend, as others will likely take advantage of the long weekend to enjoy the facilities (that still leaves you 2 days to picnic). Take a spare pair of shoes if you plan on walking the beach area at Andrew Jackson ... the geese like to leave presents in the sand.

Another nice, large park, south of Waxhaw, is Cane Creek Park. It's operated by Union County:

Cane Creek Park

It might be about a 20-minute drive from Carolina Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties