Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times

Advertisements

My only comment on the ramp is now that i know how it works it is not a problem but it was very confusing the first time I got on it from Southbound I-77 as the signage is not very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM

63 posts, read 298,925 times
I guessing that everyone here never leaves a gap big enough to put a large truck in between your self and the car in front of you.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 PM

225 posts, read 715,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I think it's a minor form of road rage. They think, well I've been in line for 5 min, hell no you aren't getting in front of me!
Your right. So get in line like everyone else.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
What many of you are forgetting are the people that don't know that the right lane is the exit lane UNTIL they are driving past the line and then end up getting stuck because no one will let them in so they HAVE to move over aggressively. As someone has already posted, the signage is not very good. I moved away when they totally redid that intersection and there were several times where I would completely forget that until the signs and by that point I was past the point where the traffic was backing up. In addition, I think many of you are forgetting that there are neighborhoods where people are turning left onto Celenese past the point where the traffic starts forming a line. So while I realize that there are many people that just wait until the last minute and move over aggressively and that is wrong, it is unfair to assume that everyone is merging too late intentionally. Sorry, but I am not going to back up traffic even worse by refusing to let them in. There was a period of time where I did the same thing, get all pissed off and then I realized I was being as bad a driver as they were by stooping to their level. As someone said it is a mild form of road rage. Honestly it isn't going to affect me one little bit to leave space so that people can merge safely. Yes some people are going to get in front of me but, so what?? There are bigger things to worry about.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM

149 posts, read 581,285 times
Nicely said Jenn! I agree! Besides you are all going to be waiting a whole lot longer if you don't let someone merge and cause an accident. Then you will have the infamous .... "onlooker delay"!!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
Sure, some folks get confused by the signage...no problem. The ones who irritate me are the same old ones I see day after day doing the same thing. And YES, I DO see some of the same ones just pushing their way in as if they are FAR too important to wait in line like the rest of us.

I am always willing to give folks a break..but not those who clearly are doing it only to save time. Hey, Beachbumssb...It seems as if you are suggesting that those of us in the right lane are somehow responsible for causing accidents. I dont agree.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 PM

149 posts, read 581,285 times
All I am saying is that there is no way that everyone getting onto 77 north can sit and wait in that line. Do you realize how many people work in Charlotte? They designed the road so that there are 3 lanes for a reason. If you would like everyone to line up in one lane, ok, but don't be surprised when the "line" is 2 miles long. Do I think that people should aggressively be trying to cut in? No, not at all. That is what a turn signal is for, not that I have ever seen a Rock Hillian use one.

And yes, FlightAttendent, I have personally witnessed (while I was "in line" by the way) someone trying to get over, and the person in the right lane sped up to close the gap and got clipped. They deserved it in my opinion. If everyone would merge everyother car, it would go smoother.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
This entrance is similar to the I-485 South Blvd off ramp being used as a passing lane on the right, with people not wanting to stay in line, pass on the right and merge back into traffic. A whole thread was started on the Charlotte forum regarding this. In both cases, poor planning and design, coupled with irritable drivers all around.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
Maybe one solution to this problem...I hesitate to really consider it a big problem tho..is to see if the signage could be improved. Or better yet, maybe they could widen the ramp to two lanes? I have lived here a year and when I moved here the current set up was already in place so I didnt have to "get used to" a change in the road..

Clearly, this situation is an accident waiting to happen. Nobody needs or wants frayed nerves early in the morning on the way to work.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 PM

174 posts, read 502,028 times
Here's my strategy: If it's REALLY backed up, move to the left, skip the entrance ramp, and take a left on 21. Then get on at Sutton Road. Much less stress.

I'm just glad that they changed the I77 exit so that there are two lanes now and it's not illegal to take a right at the light onto Celanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties