Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,418 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Fort Mill and am starting the job search. My main question, is there a difference in the tax between NC and SC as far as income goes? Is there a difference in working in NC than in SC if I live in SC? Thanks.

Last edited by Randomhero849; 11-28-2008 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 08:50 AM

63 posts, read 298,912 times
You'll have to file two tax returns, one in NC as a non-resident and one in SC as a resident. Your income from the job in NC is reported to NC, and all income sources are reported to SC. SC will give you a credit for income tax paid to another state.

NC's tax rates are here. Tax Rate Schedule for Tax Year 2007
SC here. http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/15...05IITrates.pdf

Old 12-01-2008, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 14,505 times
So Robm, you get taxed twice or SC tax is higher and you get a credit for NC tax paid and you pay the diff to SC. Not clear what you're saying...

Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM

259 posts, read 797,728 times
Hi!

I know when we were considering moving here, our accountant ran our income in 2006 on both a NC and SC form. One reason we decided to move to SC was that we would have owed $700 more in NC! So, I think you are better off living in SC.

I am not sure what happens when you work in NC and live in SC. I know there are a lot of questions and replies about this on this forum. Try doing a search for this issue (the search tool is on the menu bar in the forum). I can't imagine you paying tax in both states.

By the way, the property taxes are lower in SC than in NC also.

Good luck.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:09 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,264 times
I live in SC and work in NC. My co workers that are in the same situation told me they file a return with NC as a non resident, get all their money back, then file with SC and pay them before the deadline. They come out way ahead and end up with money in their pocket, as NC is higher (top Southern State for state tax btw).

Where I originally lived did not allow this. But every state is different.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:05 AM

63 posts, read 298,912 times
Exactly, I get a credit from SC for Tax paid to NC, and just pay SC the difference.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 6,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm View Post
Exactly, I get a credit from SC for Tax paid to NC, and just pay SC the difference.
That would mean your SC taxes are more than your NC?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM

595 posts, read 1,621,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I live in SC and work in NC. My co workers that are in the same situation told me they file a return with NC as a non resident, get all their money back, then file with SC and pay them before the deadline. They come out way ahead and end up with money in their pocket, as NC is higher (top Southern State for state tax btw).
You pay taxes in the state you work.

If you work in NC, you will owe NC taxes no matter where you live. You won't have to pay SC taxes since NC rates are higher, but you won't be getting all your NC taxes back.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 AM

12 posts, read 31,931 times
Does being a federal employee make a difference? I put in for a transfer to Charlotte and don't see much of a difference between living in NC or SC (as a renter) other than the fact SC doesn't have vehicle inspections/emissions. If I'm working in Charlotte, but living in SC, I'm still paying higher NC state taxes, right? Then what (if any) are the benefits of living in SC vs NC?

Old 05-22-2013, 02:20 PM

261 posts, read 480,194 times
Income tax may not necessarily be lower in SC as we ended up owing SC money this year. Husband works in NC and we live in SC. But I do know that property taxes and vehicle taxes will most likely be less expensive. Your insurance probably will be as well and county taxes are cheaper. I have lived in NC before and I find SC to be much less expensive on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties