Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:25 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times

Advertisements

On WBTV news, also there is a link and video on the website, stated that beginning May 2007 Gold Hill Elementary will not be accepting any new students due to the school being beyond capacity. New students will have to go to Riverview Elementary instead. School officials stated that Riverview Elementary has 640 students out of a 900 capacity. It is unknown where any new students will go after that school is filled.

Officials also state that a new elementary school will not open until 2009, and by then they say they will already need 2 more additional schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 07:35 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
WOw thanks for posting. We are moving to Fort Mill with 4 small kids 3 in school and this is good to know. I knew Orchard Park was full now with this one we will be ruling out all houses in those areas. I would hate for my kids to live in a neighborhood and not be able to go to school with their friends.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Default This Thread is also on the Charlotte (NC) side

The Sky is Not Falling in Fort Mill!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geez...I go away for a little bit and look what happens!

First off...yes, as of the next school year there will be a freeze on new enrollment at Gold Hill Elementary (and as lovesmoutains has stated this has been talked about for some time). This is not the first time we have had a freeze at Gold Hill (there was another many years ago...until the school was added on to).

Currently there is an enrollment freeze at Orchard Park Elementary and more than likely it will continue through next year as well (although they are waiting to see if there will be any adjustments with the count...and if any children could be added to....how they would consider doing it?)

Okay with that said we have 3 other elementary schools (Riverview - Fort Mill - and Springfield Elementary) within the district that are Not over capacity. Another thing to realize is...the elementary schools have Not used mobile classrooms..but that now is being taken into consideration (from what I understand though...they do not have room for mobile units at Orchard).

Now in regard to middle schools...none are at capacity (there are 3 now - as a new middle school was added last year)

We currently have 1 High School that is bursting at the seams (they do have some mobile units at the high school). But a brand spanking new high school is set to open at the start of the new school season.

So while the school is growing by leaps and bounds...the biggest concerns currently are at the elementary school level. While not a perfect situation/solution.. having children rerouted to another school...the child will still be within the Fort Mill School District (and for any of you folks that have never been to Fort Mill...we aren't all that big in size).

For me...what I think is possibly a far bigger concern...is the lowering of our (school) taxes...I believe this will attract even more people to the SC area...and then when that happens...what becomes of the schools when they no longer have the monies that they had access to before? (that is what I am keeping my eye on).

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/local/story/6403981p-5710516c.html (broken link) (there is another more current article..that will more than likely be avail online tomorrow)

http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/Schools/Schools.htm

Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM

WOW- Thank you lovethecarolinas . Once again great info and insight. I am not upset with Fort Mill if anything it is making me realize even more why it is so desirable. My only concern is I really want my kids to go to school with teh other kids in the neighborhood especially since this will be our first time ever living in a neighborhood and this is such a BIG move for them.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
WOW- Thank you lovethecarolinas . Once again great info and insight. I am not upset with Fort Mill if anything it is making me realize even more why it is so desirable. My only concern is I really want my kids to go to school with teh other kids in the neighborhood especially since this will be our first time ever living in a neighborhood and this is such a BIG move for them.
Hey I post the news as it was reported. It was said that they did not have any idea where to put new students and no new schools until 2009, Fact.

The only solution offered was sending kids to schools farther from home. This includes kids from the same neighborhood or kids in the same family going to different schools. The population will continue to explode in this area.

It can be spun any way you like it I guess, but to me, bottom line is it doesnt sound like a good thing!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Hey I post the news as it was reported. It was said that they did not have any idea where to put new students and no new schools until 2009, Fact.

The only solution offered was sending kids to schools farther from home. This includes kids from the same neighborhood or kids in the same family going to different schools. The population will continue to explode in this area.

It can be spun any way you like it I guess, but to me, bottom line is it doesnt sound like a good thing!
I just think the news is going to make us choose and option of housing that goes to one of the open schools to hopefully keep all my kids togather and with kids from their own neighborhood. Does SC ever redistrict schools ?

Old 03-09-2007, 02:14 PM

474 posts, read 1,748,787 times
Quote:
I just think the news is going to make us choose and option of housing that goes to one of the open schools to hopefully keep all my kids togather and with kids from their own neighborhood. Does SC ever redistrict schools ?
Check out Walden Park. It's about a 1/2 mile from Riverview Elementary, which is the school that is not capped. It's scores are comparable to Orchard Park and Gold Hill. Prices range from $250 - $400's. No vinyl - only fiber cement siding. We're building there now after selling our house in Huntersville.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Hey there sixinthefamily: I have provided a couple of links (down below) you may be interested in.

In regard to your question...does SC ever redistrict schools?....I am not sure what you mean by this (as the whole state?). If you are speaking of the school district...I can tell you that the Fort Mill School District did just change attendance areas last year, or the year before (sorry can remember the exact date). It was done at the time to include the new middle school (Springfield Middle) and the soon to open new High School (Nation Ford).

http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/Attendance%20Areas/All%20Attendance%20Areas.htm (broken link) (this is a little hard to read...I will see if I can find a larger map of the areas)

http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/Schools/GHESFreeze.htm

http://www.asbj.com/2007/01/0107coverstory.html

http://www.heraldonline.com/101/story/14004.html (broken link)

...oh and just for a little more insight...when we arrived 3 years ago...the situation at Gold Hill Elementary was...my 4th grader (at the time) had right around 13 kids in her class, while my 2nd grader (at that time) I think had around 19 in her class...in addition there was also several empty classrooms...just showing you how quickly things have changed (but we also have no mobile units as classrooms either).

Last edited by lovethecarolinas; 03-09-2007 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-09-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
Check out Walden Park. It's about a 1/2 mile from Riverview Elementary, which is the school that is not capped. It's scores are comparable to Orchard Park and Gold Hill. Prices range from $250 - $400's. No vinyl - only fiber cement siding. We're building there now after selling our house in Huntersville.
Curious, why the move from Huntersville?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 PM

474 posts, read 1,748,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Curious, why the move from Huntersville?
My parents and brother and his family live in Baxter. With a young child, we wanted to be closer to the Grandparents and the rest of the family. Plus, looking ahead a few years, we wanted to be in the Fort Mill school district. I also think Fort Mill has a bit more of a "community" feel to it. The reduction in taxes will be a benefit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties