Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:15 PM

10 posts, read 49,684 times

Advertisements

If you are planning to buy or rent property in Tega Cay, do yourself a favor and scrutinize the surrounding neighbor's property. I have lived in Tega Cay for over 25 years, and I so wish I could get the heck out of this place. Two of my neighbors have just decided in the past couple of years to let their property/house look like they live on "Tobacco Road"...full plastic trash bags in the side and back yard all the time...barking howling dogs all hours of the day and night....9 children (ages 5 - 12) at one house alone..along with 4 adults...tricycles, bicycles, helmets, toys strewn all over the place. They have 8 cats free roaming around the neighborhood...cats come over all the time and spray on my front porch (spray...I am saying this nicely).....Dog feces in their yard that smells to High Heaven...I go outside of my house, and often the smell of marijuana wafting in the air from their house hits me...Oh I am Not A Happy Camper. I have tried talking to the neighbors and it does no good. I call the Tega Cay Police about the marijuana, and it does no good, becuase I am told I would almost have to make a citizen arrest for the coppers to take any action. I call the Tega Cay Code Enforcement on the mess in the yards, and nothing seems to happen. One of the neighbors has a broken comode as well as a broken washing machine hauled out of the house and onto the back deck..both have been sitting there for 4 months. Tega Cay Code Enforcement told me that these items are not a code violation...well...I just wonder how long this would fly if this house was sitting on the Tega Cay Golf Course!!!!

The neighbors have their boys peeing in the back yard (in full view of me) as it is cheaper for them to do their business outside than having them run into the house for a pit stop (that is what the parents told me)....anyone got any great ideas how I can tackle this problem????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 PM

259 posts, read 795,421 times
Geez... that is amazing. I am really sorry for your situation and don't really have any suggestions. BUT, I have a feeling that Tega Cay does not want to "ruin" its reputation so posting on here might just get you somewhere. If enough posters read and respond, perhaps a note from some of those who live there to the HOA board might just help.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:45 PM

90 posts, read 174,636 times
That is so unfortunate. I am CONSIDERING building in Tega Cay....and bringing all my business to the area. The neighborhood is very upscale but the surrounding area has me worried. I would like to know if this is your area before I proceed...I would be just as happy in Baxter and giving that area my business. I have 2 small kids and need the Y and the classes and the other unnecessary
expenses...lol.
Are you near Dam Road?

Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,898,017 times
That is a shame. Don't you have an HOA? One piece of advice, don't post your location if you want to sell your house someday!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM

Respone to DeeRoma: trust me, do not buy or plan on bulding in Tega Cay...this city is going bankrupt. You will get little to no support from City Officals...What use to be a beautiful city of Tega Cay is no longer....I am so sick of having to view borken appliances on my neighbor's deck...and like I said...TC Enforcement tells me, it is not against code for them to have such there...need I say more???? Buy and build in Baxter....you will be happier, I promise!!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM

17 posts, read 51,149 times
That is really unfortunate that you have had to put up with neighbors like this with no response from the town. Have you attended any of the city council meetings? There is one on March 16th at 7pm at City Hall. More residents of Tega Cay need to know what is going on here and the rules need to change. We just moved here from Charlotte this past year. We lived in Charlotte for about 18 years. So far we love Tega Cay and our neighbors are wonderful they take care of their yards, their polite and no funny smelling stuff. I don't think it matters what part of Tega Cay you live in there need to be a certain standard of living where residents take care of their yards and there is no trash in their yard and they respect their neighbors.
Also to the other poster please still take a look at Tega Cay because it really is a nice place to live and there are some wonderful people here. I think most residents do care about taking care of their home.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM

I have been to City Council meetings, but nothing positive happens in my favor to remedy the problems I am facing. Since there is no code violation in having broken appliances, comodes, etc. sitting on your back deck or in the yard, and having bicycles, tricycles...toy clutter everywhen in the yard, front, side and back....I guess it is a big eyesore that I have to endure. Makes it really hard for me, as these 2 neighbor's houses are right beside me, and while I try to maintain a nice manicured yard, their yards are basically mud pits, as they have so many kids playing in the yards that most of their grass is gone.

I know for a fact that even Twin Lakes Trailer Park over on Hwy 21 would not allow this kind of eyesore. And I live in Tega Cay. It just boils down to these neighbors don't care if there places look like flophouses. Here is another thing that can really put some sand into a homeowners gears...there is no limit on the number of people that can live in a house out here, if they are all related. So, in a single dwelling house with 3 bedrooms, you could have 20 people living there, and no problem (as long as they are related)...I hope you can see my point, would you like living next door to one neighbor that has at least 13 people living there (9 of them young kids) and another neighbor with 9 people (7 of them young kids)....talk about noise pollution. Yes these neighbors have turned this area of Tega Cay into "Tobacco Road"...heck I am embarrased when anyone comes over to visit me, as they just shake their head when they see the conditions of the houses and yards, and ask me, "how do you put up that that mess"...and I can only reply, "because Tega Cay allows it to happen". I hope you never have to put up with this type of trash.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM

151 posts, read 569,389 times
Stone,

I think you need a new strategy. Break down the bigger problem into smaller, more managable pieces. Take it one problem at a time, otherwise it becomes overwhelming. Let's start with the easy part, and I agree, the quite nasty aspect of the cats using your home for a litter box. I believe you can contact the city to have them place humane traps, and every time you catch one they will come and pick it up. I purchased a trap for a few bucks back in CA for the exact same reason. I had the option of turning them over to the pound each time I caught one, or giving them a nice cold bath in the cage with a garden hose. I recommend you call the humane society for pick-up. Owners are reluctant to pick them up when they've been confiscated. These traps are very easy to set up, bait, and I gurantee you'll get results with a little tuna! Here's a link where you can purchase a trap if the city won't set one for you. Any natural wildlife make sure to release.

Havahart® Animal Traps, Animal Repellents and Pet Supplies

So let's get to lowering your blood pressure, and tackle this one step at a time. One foot in front of the other, you with me soldier?

About the whole bankruptcy thing, you know, I'm also concerned that the city hasn't adapted to the changing economic times. If revenues are falling, then taxes are going up to maintain the same level of service. We drove around this weekend in our general area and no less than 25 newer homes are for sale. I do hope these owners can find someone to purchase them, but sadly, I just don't think that's going to work out. We've had 2 really nice homes for sale on our street for over a year, nothing is moving it seems. Now add 23 more and how long before folks have to just abandon their dreams? When that happens the tax pipeline begins to dry up. The city is going to find itself further behind, and we're already borrowing money from this years tax revenues for last years budget. Where is that rainy day fund? Have you been to the new development area down by the damn? Uh oh, was anyone counting on tax revenues from that development? I hope not, because it's going to be a long long time before that area gets built up. We're all in for some difficult times.

Keep the faith!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM

17 posts, read 51,149 times
I went to Tega Cay's web site and found a nuisance ordinance they are working on. I hope this will help your situation. I'm sorry you are going through this.
Ordinances (http://www.tegacaysc.org/city_ordinances.html - broken link)

Old 03-02-2009, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the replys. Me being able to vent some has help take some of the edge off, for a while.

Believe me, I have tried to tackle these problems one at a time, to no avail. The cat situation, yes I have dealt with York County Animal Control, and had them bring out a cage an put it in my back yard, as the cats were out scratching on and ruining my newly installed vinyl screen on my back deck. I only caught an opossum in the darn cage, but ironically, around the same time, one of the problem neighbors discovered one of their cats missing, and ended up at the shelter (shelter stated cat was picked up miles away from my house). Anyway, all heck broke loose over here, I got yelled and cussed out by one of "these neighbors" while I was standing in my own front yard. Imagine that, I still shake my head over that scene. These cats are not spayed or neutered, and their is a new litter of cats every couple of months...I really doubt these cats have their shots, as the people can barely afford to buy cat litter for an indoor litter box...one of the reasons the cats roam so freely, and make my front porch their personal pee palace. I really feel kinda threatened by these neighbors, given how they have responded to past incidents (like the cat situation) Here is a good one for ya...last year they dediced to ditch one of their king size mattresses in the house, as the kids had peed on it one time to many, so the neighbors hall it out their back door, and toss it over the deck railing out into the back yard. Well the mattress had holes all in it and the insides of it were falling all out of the thing. I noticied it and just waited for a few days to see what was going to happen. Well, about a week later, mattress still in back yard, so I asked the neighbors about their plans for removing such, and was basically told to mind my own business. I was nice to them about the situation, but mentioned to them it would be a lot easier to get rid of it before it rained and got really soggy and nastier than it already was. Well, it rained, No action on their part, and it took me calling TC Code Enforcement, and a total of almost 6 weeks before they got off their butts, and hauled it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties