Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to South Carolina: Fort Mill, neighborhood, horseback riding trips, summer camps, four seasons.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:14 AM

86 posts, read 388,696 times

Advertisements

I posted this in Charlotte forum, but I never know whether that forum or this one is right for Fort Mill questions..

I have a 5th grade girl and a 6th grade boy that REFUSE to even open their mind to the possibility that they could be happier in Fort Mill than in NY (where I currently live). I've tried the argument "we could then afford to go on vacations, and I could drive a nicer car, and mommy can stay home all day and clean your rooms.." They didn't buy it.

We are looking at Baxter or Tega, though DH likes the acreage of Olde Williamsburg. Anyway....anyone have children of similar ages that can share their experiences relocating to Fort Mill? Anything directly from the mouths of babes is encouraged - I plan on printing this out and sharing it with my children.

We are going down as a family next week, I'd love to know what to show them to really draw them in...

Oh, and part 2 of this post - we're visiting next Weds - Sunday (Easter Weekend). I know church is very big down there compared to where I am now. Does everything shut down for Good Friday and Easter? I'm afraid we'll take the trip and everything will seem desolate because it's Easter Weekend (and the beginning of a school holiday). That certainly WOULD NOT HELP my cause!!

thanks everyone, you've all been so helpful so far, sorry for the long post!
rscap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 AM

287 posts, read 1,460,378 times
I am in Orange County, NY and my kids cant wait to move to S.C. we arent going to Fort Mill but around Columbia and they are very excited to go. My girls are 7&8 yrs. old. There really is nothing in NY for them so I think they are at a good age.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,534 times
If they like theme parks take them to Carowinds. Drive Uptown to Charlotte and let them see the city, it's nice. They can go to Discovery Place or the Mint Museum. Take them to South Park Mall. Easter is a beautiful time in SC the trees and flowers alone should help your case. If you want to view some homes let me know. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
We are located in Tega Cay, SC (and children attend FMSD). While my children were a little younger than yours (mid year of 2nd and 4th grade) when we first came here (3 years ago)..I went ahead and copied this from a past post:

..prior to our move I searched the internet for the area we were moving to and found all kinds of things that I knew would entice my children (for example our area: Carowinds, Lake Wylie, Anne Springs Close greenway, etc.). After I gathered all the information I printed it all out and made a booklet for each of them to keep and look at. By the time we left...they were really looking forward to the move and very excited about all the new things they were going to get to do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't say every child/family will be the same and only speak from our own experience....I vividly remember the day we first told them we were moving (two high pitched blood curdling screams)...but once the move took place...my two children adjusted very quickly (and I'm talking about two shy kids here)..and they now wouldn't even consider moving back to CA.

In regard to your part 2: the kids in the Fort Mill school district will start their spring break next Friday (the 6th)-through the following week. Maybe you can call one of the middle schools and request a tour for next Thursday? While there will be several folks going out of town...I don't know that Fort Mill or Tega Cay will be totally desolate. There will be some places closed on Easter Sunday...but that will mostly be eateries (in case you are interested Tega Cay Club House/Golf Course is having an Easter Sunday brunch). You still have Carowinds, Anne Springs Greenway, the lake to check out, or take them over to the Baxter YMCA or Leroy Springs Recreation Complex.

Hope that helps some...and do wish you the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscap View Post
I posted this in Charlotte forum, but I never know whether that forum or this one is right for Fort Mill questions..

I have a 5th grade girl and a 6th grade boy that REFUSE to even open their mind to the possibility that they could be happier in Fort Mill than in NY (where I currently live). I've tried the argument "we could then afford to go on vacations, and I could drive a nicer car, and mommy can stay home all day and clean your rooms.." They didn't buy it.

We are looking at Baxter or Tega, though DH likes the acreage of Olde Williamsburg. Anyway....anyone have children of similar ages that can share their experiences relocating to Fort Mill? Anything directly from the mouths of babes is encouraged - I plan on printing this out and sharing it with my children.

We are going down as a family next week, I'd love to know what to show them to really draw them in...

Oh, and part 2 of this post - we're visiting next Weds - Sunday (Easter Weekend). I know church is very big down there compared to where I am now. Does everything shut down for Good Friday and Easter? I'm afraid we'll take the trip and everything will seem desolate because it's Easter Weekend (and the beginning of a school holiday). That certainly WOULD NOT HELP my cause!!

thanks everyone, you've all been so helpful so far, sorry for the long post!
rscap

Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 AM

Default thank you!

Thanks everyone for your help,
We are visiting the middle school on thursday and doing Carowinds as suggested.

I am hoping to find things to show them that they DO NOT have up here (NYC metro) - the simple things like a game of kickball going on in a neighborhood, or kids riding their scooters along the paths to the ballfield, or everyone walking to the neighborhood pool.

thanks again,
rscap

Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 AM

192 posts, read 687,423 times
Default Just moved here from Calif with 10 and 7 yr old

When we first told our kids about the move from So Cal to Ft Mill, my youngest daughter offered to go out and hunt for coins on the streets to help us stay in California! Brought tears to my eyes.

We've been here since November and they love it. We bought a HUGE house with a pool in a "middle class" neighborhood off of Doby's Bridge. Big(ish) yard with a park and pond right across the street. My kids have been catching tadpoles and tiny fish in the pond and this past week they've been swimming in the pool! The flowers and trees are in bloom, the birds are nesting, it's beautiful.

Nothing against Baxter (it's a beautiful and convenient neighborhood!) but after having a postage stamp lot in TX and Calif, we wanted a YARD for the kids. My hubby was out kicking a ball around with the kids last night while I watched from the deck drinking a glass of wine. L O V E L Y!!

My kids have made so many friends. There is SO MUCH to do in the area. Check out the YMCA, Leroy Springs Rec center, Anne Springs Greenway, Lake Wylie, etc. There's horseback riding, all kinds of summer camps, and scouting is big here if they would enjoy that. My kids have been on school field trips to Charleston to see the USS Yorktowne, to the Charlotte Children's Theater, and will be going to the Biltmore House in Asheville pretty soon.

I know it's difficult to leave friends but this IS a great place to move to.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggleflap View Post
When we first told our kids about the move from So Cal to Ft Mill, my youngest daughter offered to go out and hunt for coins on the streets to help us stay in California! Brought tears to my eyes.
brought tears to my eyes too..my son just walked in from a half day at school and said - why are you crying?? lol!!

thanks, that's exactly the type of thing I want to know - what neighborhood did you end up in - soundsl like OW? We're coming from a house in the country with NO neighbors, so I'm looking for more of a community feel where my kids can enjoy neighborhood children. My husband would prefer something off Doby's however...he loves land.

Is it OK if I PM you for some more specific Fort Mill information?
thx,
rscap

Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 AM

192 posts, read 687,423 times
Sure, you can PM me.

I have a 5th and 2nd grader at Fort Mill Elem. They really like it there.

There are lots of neighborhoods off of Doby's Bridge with many more planned. Doby's Bridge can get mighty busy during the school times and evening rush hour but there is a Bypass in the works.

There is so much info about Western Ft Mill (Tega Cay and Baxter areas) but not alot about this side of I77. We like it here. Close to all the conveniences but not surrounded by them.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,977 times
First of all, you are definitely looking in the right place. Fort Mill is lovely! Next, get them involved in looking at houses with you. When they see the difference in what you all can have in SC versus where you are, that might just tip the scales...ask them to to love you enough to JUST LOOK.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 14,517 times
Default Regent Park Fort Mills -comments anyone?

We are looking to buy a home in Regent Park in the near future. My sister from New York is also looking in that area. Can anyone comment on the the townhomes like Ryan and KB homes in that area? Does this area have a good resale value? Does anyone live in Regent Park? We currenlty live in N.C Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties