Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 AM

22 posts, read 37,003 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I am new to this site, find it so helpful. Our family is considering a move down south and are beginning to do our research. We have 3 kids, 10, 6 and 1. My kids are very happy where we live, upstate NY and are leery about leaving. We live in a very beautiful area but I am over the long winters and miss the neighborhoods that I grew up in (kids can come home from school and go outside to play with neighbors.) Actually, I miss having neighborhood friends. Up here, play dates have to be arranged, they are often far away, and they are few and far between. Schools are a big issue for me. I see great things about the Fort Mill school district but many of the threads are a couple of years old. I see they still get a good rating on greatschools.com. Initially, I started looking in Cary, NC but was turned off by kids being moved to other schools based on a population explosion. Cary just seems too crowded. So, while I am looking for more for the kids to do, I do not want something that is overcrowded. Baxter village looks nice, we are looking to spend about 300-350. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:10 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
You really need to make a visit. I drove around Ft. Mill about a yr ago - I did not like Baxter b/c the houses are too close together. But that's just my preference. There are a lot of neighborhoods with kids - Whitegrove is one. Go look!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,836 times
Fort Mill is a great area to be in and the schools are awesome! I know of a few great builders in the area if you are looking to build!! Just let me know!! Good luck!!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:15 PM

182 posts, read 331,769 times
We moved from Apex (right next to Cary) to Baxter in Ft Mill. Cary has over 100,000 people so its not fair to compare Cary to Ft Mill but both areas (Raleigh and Charlotte) have been going through population growths that have caused the kids to be moved from schools. As I understand it, this just happened in Baxter.

Since schools are imporant to you, with a 10 year old, you may also want to consider the college issue. Coming fromm the prospective as an engineering grad from NC State, I feel that both NC State and UNC Chapel Hill are better schools than USC and Clemson. I will even say (and this hurts to do so) that is especially true for UNC-CH. BUT, SC has a scholarship program that may be inticing enough to overlook this.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,741 times
come to indian land. it is a part of fort mill. this is the hot spot of the future. been her 2 and a half years

Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 AM

29 posts, read 86,965 times
I have 2 kids in elem school, we moved to Baxter in Nov. In regards to the Ft Mill school situation: 2 new elem schools are being built right now in addition to the current ones. They will be open for instruction this school year (2009-2010). The entire district was rezoned for next year b/c of this. Baxter is entirely zoned for Orchard Park starting this Fall (the school is located inside Baxter). I believe Sutton Place is also zoned for OPES, not sure. We did have to enroll in Riverview this year as it was an "overflow" school location for newbies until the new schools opened, but again, that will all be done w/this school year ending. It was a great school. But beware MLS listings--I've noticed some are incorrect, or list the "overflow" school, etc. Best to check Ft Mill schools website. They have an application where you can plug in an address & it will tell you (but again, it may not be updated to reflect new schools until this year is over). Good luck! Millions of kids in Baxter, btw! We love it--it's very social!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 PM

225 posts, read 689,720 times
Default Made the the move, 3 years ago, best decision I ever made.

Check out this link, it might help answer some questions.
Good luck!
Moving to Fort Mill in July, any words of advice?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:01 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worm55 View Post
come to indian land. it is a part of fort mill. this is the hot spot of the future. been her 2 and a half years
Indian Land is NOT a part of Fort Mill. They only share a post office. I'm surprised you have lived there for two years and do not know this.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Indian Land is NOT a part of Fort Mill. They only share a post office. I'm surprised you have lived there for two years and do not know this.
Yeah, Ft. Mill=York Co., Indian Land=Lancaster Co. Mailing adress may be Ft. Mill but that's just b/c of the post office.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM

107 posts, read 319,593 times
It is true that the panhandle part of Lancaster Co. (Indian Land) has undergone alot of development. Fort Mill and Indian Land both have pros and cons so I would take the advice of others here and take a trip down here.

I moved from NY 2 years ago (after visiting the Charlotte area first) and while it was the right choice for me it may differ for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties