U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM

251 posts, read 759,532 times
One thing should be made clear---what today is known as Regent Park was formerly Jim and Tammy Faye's Heritage Village USA. Many of the the older condos and the oldest houses you see in "Regent Park" were built during that era. The run down "ghost town" is now owned by another fundamentalist evangelical religious movement who is trying to restore the buildings, including the 21 story high rise, which has never been completed or occupied. York County has just given the group an extention on the high rise--formerly they had ordered that it be torn down, but now all bets are off. If the group gains traction, Regent Park could be in for some unwanted changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 AM

195 posts, read 9,828 times
Moedog-- you do realize that the Heritage Village thing was OVER 20 YEARS AGO, right? And allow me to enlighten you: the vast majority of developments in Regent Park were built AFTER that whole thing. Most of the current developments were built within the past few years, including the townhomes the poster inquired about, some of which are currently under construction. Also, FYI the "ghost town" is NOT in RP, it is on the other side of the rr tracks, and has NOTHING to do with RP. If RP becomes gated, as we are in talks about doing, near the rr tracks would be made into a dead end or there would be a gate, prohibiting access to anyone from that end. The point of the gate is to reduce access to people other than residents so that we do not have to maintain a private road that the public has access to. In addition it will provide extra security, as only residents and their guests will be allowed in.
Are you a psychic? If so I'd like to know what you see and what "unwanted changes" RP could be in for. What do you think, some religious cult is going to come in and force the rest of us out of our homes in some kind of religious based hostile takeover of private homes? Give me a break.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:10 PM

251 posts, read 759,532 times
mytwokidsmom--calm down. Regent Park is a very nice neighborhood, but I believe any person who buys there should know the history of the community, and recent events with might impact on the area. The idea that the community will become gated is very iffy, as I'm sure you realize. Yes, the streets are privately owned by the HOA, whoever that is, but it is very difficult to close streets which have been open to the public for many years, even if they are private. Also, many people detest the idea of a gated community, including many who have lived in Regent Park for years, and that does not even consider the huge cost of mantaining private streets, which many residents will balk at. The subject is far from settled. And, to add one more stick to the fire, don't forget the extension of Regent Park Blvd to within about half a mile of Carolina Place Mall in NC is almost complete and a matter of great controversy in Regent Park. Lawsuits will rage for years before all of this is settled. Only to say that Regent Park is not your typical planned community and people who consider buying there should know that.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:27 PM

195 posts, read 9,828 times
Nomoedog, the idea that the community might become gated is not iffy, it is very much a possibility if enough residents vote yes on it. The HOA fyi is made up of board members who reside in Regent Park and they have assembled a committe to investigate the various options regarding gating. The old history from 20 years ago has no impact whatsoever on my or my neighbors everyday lives. If you as an outsider who does not reside here has information on how exactly our lives may be impacted at some point in the future, by the history from 20 years ago, I'd love to hear about it. Let's stick with the facts please.

Last edited by my2kidsmom; 05-02-2007 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: hit wrong button

Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM

35 posts, read 91,263 times
I have been there a few time looking at houses (ended up buying in Tega Cay) and I was not impressed with the value aspect of RP verses several other simular (Ryan and KB) home developments in the area. I am not sureof the town homes as I was only looking at single family homes. As for the Trailer park comment made above anyone you can use google map and satalite view will see teh huge park behind the curtian of trees and bushes. For some that would be a huge negative even if there is not direct connection to RP (crime statistics around trailer parks are just numbers and yes they can be twisted, but they are numbers based on facts, you have to decide for you self if they apply here).
On a positive though if you want to be close to Charlotte, RP is about as close as you can get in the Fort Mill area (in fact I think you could throw a rock into NC from some parts of it)

Good luck

Old 05-29-2007, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 21,101 times
I've recently built and moved into the new developments behind RP and close to the old PTL tower. The area is selling like hotcakes from $200k homes up to $600k custom homes.

As for the security force - that is one reason the place is so safe. They are not your typical security as much as a private police force - they have blue lights on their cars, carry sidearms and have arrest powers.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM

382 posts, read 474,634 times
I know this is an old post, but I was curious about how people in 2011/2012 feel about living in Regent Park? My husband and I are looking for a new house, but the old Heritage Tower looks creepy. Is anything going to be done with it? Also - that kids' castle is pretty eerie as well. Does anyone living in that area know of any issues with riff-raff? Do you feel safe? Other than that - everything else looks very nice. My husband and I were joking that someone should by the kids' castle and turn it into a daycare facility. Something like "Midieval Childcare" complete with a dungeon. Everyone would wonder why their kids were complete angels after going there. And, yes, we were just kidding!!! But it would be kind of nice to either see it go or see someone invest in it as a "live" play area for kids. Also - what area actually entails Regent Park? Does it go from Nation Ford school up 'til Pineville? I've never really been sure what Regent Park really is. Thanks for any information Regent Parkers could give. As I said, other than that creepy tower and castle, everything else looks splendid.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM

217 posts, read 194,875 times
We looked at townhomes in Regent Park and I didn't want to live in such a large community. They have their own security, so I assume it's safe. We also drove up to the area where the pool and tennis courts are and I was wondering does all of Regent Park only have 1 community pool? We ended up going with a much, much smaller, quiet townhome community and we're happy here. There's not a lot of kids around, but I like that it's quiet.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks for responding GA I'd like to hear from people who actually live near the towers and castle (have them in view). Do you feel safe? My concern is that vacant buildings attract unsavory characters. Thanks all!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Well this stinks! I found this article from a year ago. Geez! Why don't they just tear that creepy tower down? Anyone know of any further news on this?

FORT MILL | Heritage tower owners will not renovate, rebuild in Fort Mill | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties