Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 PM

128 posts, read 393,336 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I visited SSCL last summer and we really liked the concept. We never thought about a 55+ community ( I am 54 and DH is 59)

We are looking at a number of places for retirement- -Charlotte,Greenville, SC, Raleigh and we are now sold on the 55+ lifestyle.

My only question is how are the homes constructed. My reason for asking is that I have recently viewed a website of many Pulte/Del Webb communities all over the country and many homeowners are furious over the sub standard quality of the homes (e.g. roofs leaking, air conditioning not hooked up and faulty workmanship to name a few) I have googled You Tube video and there are even homeowners who filmed the issues!!!

It is also my understanding that the Del Webb community in Hilton Head is being taken to court by the homeowners??. While I understand that sometimes builders need to come back and fix things, you can understand that we are worried seeing this type of information.

I wrote to Pulte and they said they knew nothing about these situations, which seemed odd to me. I would think they would of said "we are aware and fixing the problems in these communities and fixing the problems" - -my hubby and I would of felt much better. Instead they just said "we can take you off our email list if you don't like our product"

Since this is a very large investment after we sell our house in NJ, I was hoping that people will be honest of any issues in SSCL. We are now scared to move forward with any Del Webb community and was hoping that somehow SSCL was well built.

Any responses good or bad would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM

12 posts, read 75,116 times
I agree with your concerns, as hubby and I are are very interested also (57 & 58). We've also thought about Sun City Hilton Head. Our kids are in NC, though, but our favorite spot for over 30 yrs is Hilton Head Island.

Construction is very important to us also. If substandard, of course we don't want to move to any Del Webb community either.

Can anyone out there help us???

Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 12,438 times
Default Flooding?

We are planning on making our move in 2 years. Can't wait.
One subject I haven't seen so far is the possibility of flooding. Has there been any during heavy rains? What about during hurricanes? And what is the hurricane season like there?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM

425 posts, read 1,565,272 times
Sun city is great especially if you like golf. My parents have been looking at the development for a year now but just couldn't make the commitment. They were down visiting again over Christmas and went and saw Baileys Glen a new over 55 near Lake Norman NC and just love it. They will be going under contract by months end. It is much smaller then sun city but offer many of the same activities minus the golf, although there are 5 courses within 5 minutes. the pluses for my parents are that the lots are bigger abnd it is so close to the lake.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,958 times
Default We Don't Need People Like You

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I'm sorry, but I guess I had a knee jerk reaction to your "fancy, dancy Manor homes" remark.

The snarkiness of your statement says more that I ever could about your discriminatory attitude against people who may have a little more money than you, or those who choose to wait and sell their first home before buying a second one.
To Staywarm2: I moved from the North Shore of Long Island & was surrounded by people like you. I owned an ad agency in NYC on Madison for 37 years & frankly I could have moved anywhere & I chose SCCL.

I love the people, many from the tri-state area & the beauty of this area. It's like living in the country but still only 20 minutes into Charlotte & a major airport.

It truly is the people who make it special. It's my hope you find another place to live because your type really isn't welcome here.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,311,677 times
To Jagguy

So funny--today in the mail I received an offer from SCCL to give me a total $19,500 in incentives and upgrades to move to the community (not counting the US tax incentive). You may not want me, but SCCL sure wants my $$$cash$$$.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 21,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Here are the CC&R docs for SCCL. Everything you need to know is in there.

[URL="http://www.liveoncharlotte.com/contracts.html"]Live On Charlotte - Sun City Carolina Lakes[/URL]

I can tell you there is NO parking of RVs for any length of time. If you have someone visiting who has one they might be able to get permission to park in the sales office lot for a night or two, but that's it. You are not permitted to park them in the Lake House parking lot. If it's your RV, you will have to make other arrangement to store it. You can have a fence, but it has to be less than 48" high and has to be of an approved wrought iron design. Any outside changes need to get approval through the modification committee. And no to dog runs. There is a dog park that you can take your dogs so they can play, etc. And of course you can always take them for walks, picking up after them of course. But just putting them outside and leaving them all day is a no-no, especially if they are barkers. And there is a maximum of 3 total animals allowed per house, with some types of animals not permitted at all.

Basic lawn care is included in the fees. Includes mowing, fertilizing, weed control, pruning, edging and leaf clean up as well as replacement/replenishment of the pine straw. But they only take care of the plants/trees/beds that are put in by the builder. Any extra landscaping that you do yourself is not taken care of, that's up to you. They also do not do liming or aeration at all (it is recommended for the Bermuda grass in the clay soil), that is also up to you to do or hire someone to do it for you. You can also opt out of them doing any fertilizing or pruning of trees and plants if you wish. I opted out of pruning because they massacred my crape myrtle last fall.
Hi
we plan to move from NJ to Sun City and need to know if we'll want a water softener. We've needed this nuisance equipment in MA, OH and now NJ and I am hoping the area has soft water
Thankis

outtahere

Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 21,455 times
I posted a query in the wrong place - so I'll ask here: is the water soft or hard in SCCL? Do residents often install water softener equipment?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 10,481 times
hi...... i too am thinking of moving from NJ to Sun city SC....it looks great... but has anyone found an answer or has a comment on the quality of construction of the homes in Sun city?

Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,311,677 times
Default No Answers from Sun City People

Quote:
Originally Posted by epical View Post
hi...... i too am thinking of moving from NJ to Sun city SC....it looks great... but has anyone found an answer or has a comment on the quality of construction of the homes in Sun city?
Sun City residents don't seem to post much on here. We have looked at other Sun Cities and the contruction seems OK. In other Pulte communities we have noticed small things like windows not put in exactly correctly or decorative shingles not straight, but nothing else. However, these were fully constructed homes, so who knows what's under that.

My advice would be to have a thorough inspection done on the new or existing home before finalizing the purchase at Sun City.

I am more concerned about whether these communities are doing well in this economy. People up east can't sell their homes and therefore, can't buy the Sun City homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties