U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM

19 posts, read 55,491 times

Advertisements

I agree.. SSCL residents are reluctant to post on this thread.. at least to answer some pointed questions.. like "quality of construction".. another unanswered one was on the use of water softeners and the quality of water.. and mine (on resales):

There always seems to be an "inventory" of 12 to 18 SCCL resales (built in 2006 - 2008) on the market over the last year or so. I understand that moving from a fairly new home are for a variety of reasons but I was wondering if anyone has an insight into a general trend here.. For example, are these sales due to buyers who bought for an investement and feel it's the right time to sell? Are some due to disatisfied buyers who are not happy with the way the area has changed in the last two years? Are some due to buyers getting "homesicK" for their previous home or wanting to be closer to their families? Just wondering... Thanks for any info.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,504,889 times
Doing well in this economy? Apparently so. This article published in the Charlotte Observer may answer a few of your questions:
Cost of living, communities attract retirees despite rough economy (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2009/09/14/909883/cost-of-living-communities-attract.html - broken link)

I don't live in Sun City, but live about 1 mile away in another Pulte neighborhood. I've been in my home 15 months now and am very pleased with it. We watched every step of the building process and hired a reputable inspector for a pre-drywall inspection and a final inspection. Aside from a few minor issues, both inspections went smoothly. We love our home and neighborhood.

If you are interested in Sun City, you really ought to visit it for yourself. A certain amount of online research is helpful, but not always reliable either.

I suspect not many Sun City residents get on this forum. I'm not sure a lot of the older folks know about it. The rest may be busy at the clubhouse!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM

36 posts, read 66,312 times
I live in Sun City, I'm in my 50's, and I'm very happy with my home. My neighbors also seem happy with their homes. We all have lots to do here. I believe that 2,000 homes have closed, so 12-18 homes going on the market isn't too bad. I know about many of these situations. Quite a few people are moving to bigger homes in the community, and others are relocating out of the area to be with their families. There have also been those who were no longer able to live in the community, and moved into assisted living. There also have been deaths which account for some of the resales. I feel very fortunate to be living here, especially when I see some subdivisions that are practically vacant with no services and amenities.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,810 times
Default Sun City Resident

I too am a Sun City resident in my 50's. We have been here about 5 months and are very happy. We chose to have ours built; we did not buy a resale. These homes are not custom built, but are customized. We all (no matter size of house) have vinyl siding on at least 3 sides, on a slab (after the last 3 basement lots have been built on), have the same color roof, are grouped into "Pods" with similar size homes, etc. We got to pick our exterior colors, front elevations, and floor plan from the choices they allow. There were a variety of interior upgrades to chose from as well. Our house has had some issues but Pulte is good to respond. They do 30 day, 90 day and 1 year visits to rectify issues and have systems to deal with emergency situations for warranty issues. At our pre-closing walk-through our realtor said that it was heads above most "tract" houses that she sees.

Many of neighbors have been here longer and seem to be very happy with their decision. I am sure there are those for whom it was not the right decision so want to move out (and there are those that are still here but are finding fault with everything). But remembering it is a retirement community, there would be some turnover due to sickness, age or death. But as ptbrwn pointed out there are many homes here. I think the last figure was closer to 1700 but still that's a small village at least. And it's only half done. And considering that they had something like 40 sales since the first of the year (I think that was the time frame), the economy doesn't seem to be an issue here.

A visit would be a good idea if you are comtemplating a move. And look at Live On Charlotte - Sun City Carolina Lakes It has the Architectural guidelines, tax & HOA cost info and other information that might be helpful.

We have not gotten a softner and I don't know of any neighbors with one. Like all water around here, it has a lot of iron which has a tendency to turn things a bit pink if left for a long time (for example, a toilet that hasn't been flushed in a week or two will have pink ring.)

Hope that answers. And as far as Sun City people not posting, they don't post much on the internal community message boards either if that means anything.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-25-2010 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: link from 1st timer

Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,688 times
Why are people allowed so many dogs in this area, 3 dogs in one home, which are small, and the lots are small.? It is beyond me at the way some people think. We too are building in SSCL, and I hope no one moves next to me with 3 dogs. The barking would have to be awful, which I would complain immediately if someone moved next to me with 3 dogs, expecially if they got in my yard and the owners did clean or pick-up after them.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,593 times
Alittle general info on taxes, water, golf, etc. in SCCL.
Property taxes here are very low by most standards. A $220,000 home (1400 sq ft - single story) a primary residence, 1 year or over residence in SC expect $1000 a year, less if over 65.
Water decent quality - I've been in over 100 garages and only seen one water softner.
We are on sewer, so water/sewer expense about $55/mth, maybe $100+ in summer w/watering.
Electric around $30 - $50 a mth, more if you run lots of AC. Gas (heat and water heat) $5 - 75.
There is a golf course in here, but not included in the mthly HOA ($185/mth most homes).
You do get a break as a resident, and good packages are available.
Lawn care is included, but to me a very poor quality.
about 1700 or so homes completed thus far, more every day - I believe the build out will total 3500 or so ???.
great amenties - gym, tennis, cards, clubs, etc.
Wish we had more say in management at this time - put in by pulte/wentworth mgt and we have no vote in anything - GRRRRRR.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 12,126 times
Hello Staywarm2,

With respect to whether a house has a brick front or a vinyl clad front is purely decorative and not structural. The "brick face" is just a facade of one layer of brick over the sheathing, thus it is a siding. The three other sides of the brick face front house are vinyl. Thus as the original poster was correct in stating that you are paying to impress your neighbors (across from the front of your house) and not yourself.

What will sell is the Del Webb name and its 60 year history of developing active 55+ communities with excellent facilities.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:19 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,236,409 times
Default Brick Face Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerswh View Post
Hello Staywarm2,

With respect to whether a house has a brick front or a vinyl clad front is purely decorative and not structural. The "brick face" is just a facade of one layer of brick over the sheathing, thus it is a siding. The three other sides of the brick face front house are vinyl. Thus as the original poster was correct in stating that you are paying to impress your neighbors (across from the front of your house) and not yourself.

What will sell is the Del Webb name and its 60 year history of developing active 55+ communities with excellent facilities.
I'm very glad you are happy at SCCL. We've been there 3 times and know that it has much to offer.

However, homes in a subdivision with mostly brick fronts will sell faster and for a better price than homes that are all vinyl. Of course, for someone who plans to stay there permanently, it makes no difference.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 8,909 times
Could someone tell me what state tax percent is in SC?

Old 05-30-2010, 06:38 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,236,409 times
Default Tax Info - SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahmcn View Post
Could someone tell me what state tax percent is in SC?
Good site to find out tax information on any state, inclulding SC.

Taxes by State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties