U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2010, 02:52 PM
 
5 posts, read 13,332 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Visiting for Labor Day Weekend
My wife and I will be coming to Carolina Lakes for the Labor Day weekend
and will stay in one of the villas. We have been to a few Del Webb communities
in GA,TN,NC and Charleston but feel that Carolina Lakes may be a better fit.
We like the outdoors and the hiking,kayaking,etc look great. We can't wait to
see the area. As I am 54 and my wife a bit younger, we are looking at the possibility
of purchasing now and renting until we make the move (approx 8 years.)
We would probably go for one of the River Collection models (Fox Run-GreyMist-Pine Spring)
but would want a location with a wood view. I would like to hear from some residents
and perhaps I could get some questions answered now and perhaps meet you ins Sept.
We live in NJ (near Philadelphia). I would love to learn to play pickleball as we have nothing
like that here. I await any feedback you can give me. I have read all the threads on this
site and have learned a lot from you all-Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Lake Park, NC
3 posts, read 12,117 times
Reputation: 10
Default Brick Front Homes are For Illusionists

Hello Staywarm.

Homes are sold based on their location (assuming they sell at all) not on the illusion of a brick-face house. The brick font is an illusion to impress those who see the house from the front, yet the three remaining sides are typically made of vinyl. The brick would have to be on all four sides to be worth the difference.

Brick front homes are facades just as those that have expensive luxury cars of which only 14% are owned by rich people. It is all about creating an illusion.

I do not live in SCCL, but have looked at the development for its lifestyle, which is why their prices are expensive relative to similar Pulte homes built in an unrestricted development.

One issue with developments such as SCCL are that the potential buyers of the house are limited due to the age requirements of the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
 
5,267 posts, read 6,227,511 times
Reputation: 4541
Default Brick Faced Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerswh View Post
Hello Staywarm.

Homes are sold based on their location (assuming they sell at all) not on the illusion of a brick-face house. The brick font is an illusion to impress those who see the house from the front, yet the three remaining sides are typically made of vinyl. The brick would have to be on all four sides to be worth the difference.

Brick front homes are facades just as those that have expensive luxury cars of which only 14% are owned by rich people. It is all about creating an illusion.

I do not live in SCCL, but have looked at the development for its lifestyle, which is why their prices are expensive relative to similar Pulte homes built in an unrestricted development.

One issue with developments such as SCCL are that the potential buyers of the house are limited due to the age requirements of the community.
Maybe it's different in 55+ communities, but here in ATL and other cities where I've lived, a brick front home is MUCH more preferable and sells for more $$'s than a 4 side hardie plank or wood home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,555 times
Reputation: 10
Everyone says 'we" and 'our' Are there many widows, singles? I am single and planning a move to SCCL from across the country but I need to know some demographics. Will I feel awkward? Help! Nan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,386 times
Reputation: 10
Default Moving there in a few months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
I am happy to report that our move went fine and after one year I can finally find the garage floor.

Living in SCCL is like being on vacation and living in a resort every day. It is hard for us to even consider going to the beach, mountains or on a road trip. FOR WHAT REASON should be go????????/

Seriously, if you are over 55 and would like to live in a place that is truly awesome I recommend SCCL.

I play tennis, hike, kayak, make pottery, play mexican dominoes and so many other things it is impossible to say. Friends from all over the country so you might just say LIFE IS GOOD!!

Dunroven
We are so excited to be moving to Sun City. Seems like a great place! Does anyone know anything about the retail across from Sun City called Cornerstone? Will they be breaking ground soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
 
425 posts, read 1,386,134 times
Reputation: 99
Sun City is great and my parents also from outside Philly ( west Chester /Downingtown Pa) looked there but in the end went with a new community called Bailey's Glen in Cornelius NC. Very similar but less houses and bigger lots . They have a great wooded lot with open space too. Club house is almost complete and looks fabulous. The builder has been terrific. Not trying to talk you out of sun City at all just something else to look at. They do not have an on site gold course but have 7 within 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 AM
 
6 posts, read 15,156 times
Reputation: 10
Smile Re Sun City Living

We are having a home built at Sun City Carolina Lakes as a second home, considering it's a good time to buy and mortgage rates are still low. This home will be seasonal until we plan to move there permanently


We researched retirement communities and we spent almost a week visiting the area, interviewing people at Sun City and surrounding area and actual visiting some of the homes at sun city and what people think of their home quality and Sun City Life

I must say, we really heard nothing negative and people enjoyed their home and life

Our priorities were in no particular order: location, things to do, taxes, culture and religion, medical facilities, 4 seasons, near airport and major highways , pet friendly, etc. and general quality of life in the area.

We chose a home and I must say the builder has answered every question, sent photos and encouraged visits during scheduled visits . The sales rep there also answering and responds to all our questions

We feel confident we made a good decision.

Everyone was friendly not only at Sun City but also in the area.

As with anything and anywhere, people will be dissatisfied, some look at the glass either half full or half empty so to speak!

We consider our choice an adventure. We hope to make many new friends there, and remain active and healthy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 AM
 
5,267 posts, read 6,227,511 times
Reputation: 4541
Default Please Post After You Move In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Moth View Post
We are having a home built at Sun City Carolina Lakes as a second home, considering it's a good time to buy and mortgage rates are still low. This home will be seasonal until we plan to move there permanently


We researched retirement communities and we spent almost a week visiting the area, interviewing people at Sun City and surrounding area and actual visiting some of the homes at sun city and what people think of their home quality and Sun City Life

I must say, we really heard nothing negative and people enjoyed their home and life

Our priorities were in no particular order: location, things to do, taxes, culture and religion, medical facilities, 4 seasons, near airport and major highways , pet friendly, etc. and general quality of life in the area.

We chose a home and I must say the builder has answered every question, sent photos and encouraged visits during scheduled visits . The sales rep there also answering and responds to all our questions

We feel confident we made a good decision.

Everyone was friendly not only at Sun City but also in the area.

As with anything and anywhere, people will be dissatisfied, some look at the glass either half full or half empty so to speak!

We consider our choice an adventure. We hope to make many new friends there, and remain active and healthy!
Please get back with us after you have settled in. We so seldom receive any kind of info from people who actually live in SCCL. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
 
6 posts, read 15,156 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan West View Post
Everyone says 'we" and 'our' Are there many widows, singles? I am single and planning a move to SCCL from across the country but I need to know some demographics. Will I feel awkward? Help! Nan

When we first visited I found out there is a singles club, more woman than men
( usually the case ) .
No one will feel awkward per my understanding it's a very friendly community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
 
6 posts, read 15,156 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Maybe it's different in 55+ communities, but here in ATL and other cities where I've lived, a brick front home is MUCH more preferable and sells for more $$'s than a 4 side hardie plank or wood home.
re bricks: bricks are real and used in different elevations, even though partial part of the house. My understanding, when houses are together, they should appear a little different from each other. The higher the elevation, the more costly.
My opinion is than any type of improvement ( even a small amt of brick work ) adds to the appearance of the house and perhaps to its selling value.

Just my 2 cents here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top