Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 18,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanj1 View Post
Visiting for Labor Day Weekend
My wife and I will be coming to Carolina Lakes for the Labor Day weekend
and will stay in one of the villas. We have been to a few Del Webb communities
in GA,TN,NC and Charleston but feel that Carolina Lakes may be a better fit.
We like the outdoors and the hiking,kayaking,etc look great. We can't wait to
see the area. As I am 54 and my wife a bit younger, we are looking at the possibility
of purchasing now and renting until we make the move (approx 8 years.)
We would probably go for one of the River Collection models (Fox Run-GreyMist-Pine Spring)
but would want a location with a wood view. I would like to hear from some residents
and perhaps I could get some questions answered now and perhaps meet you ins Sept.
We live in NJ (near Philadelphia). I would love to learn to play pickleball as we have nothing
like that here. I await any feedback you can give me. I have read all the threads on this
site and have learned a lot from you all-Thanks.

We visited in October and purchased a Grey Myst and also wanted a forest view. We got what wanted but payed extra for the land behind our house but we like more privacy and felt it was worth the price, plus we have 2 small dogs

First we liked the Pine Spring ( a door from the kitchen to screened in sun room etc at the back of the house ) In the Grey Mist the kitchen is in the opposite end of the house with an entrance from the garage.
Our sun room faces the back of the house with deck and we can see the forest part which we liked.

To date we have been impressed with everything, All and every question has been answered by the builder. sales rep etc. Our closing will be in March.

We still own a home up north and will use our home seasonally until we permanently move in at Sun City the next 5 years or so.
Figured time to buy while the mortgage rates are still low and reasonable.

Good luck with your choices and decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 24,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Moth View Post
.......also wanted a forest view. We got what wanted but payed extra for the land behind our house but we like more privacy and felt it was worth the price, plus we have 2 small dogs
Hi,

Thank you for posting and congratulations on your new home.

I've been talking to a SCCL representative about a more private lot backing up to a green space for the privacy too.

I was wondering how you (and others) will handle your dogs in the small Del Webb lots. Are dogs in Del Webb mostly kept inside? Why is the green space behind your home advantageous to your dogs?

As a "non-dog" person thank you in advance for your insight.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:33 PM

40 posts, read 84,691 times
Dog owners are always out walking their dogs and bringing their dogs to the dog park. There are two areas at the dog park; one for small dogs and one for large dogs. My little maltipoo has many friends that visit him and we visit them. It's a great place for people and their pets to live.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 PM

Both my dogs are very small ( 3 1/2 lb and 6 lbs ) I know other owners walk their dogs on the sidewalk or use the dog park. I chose to buy a larger and more private lot ( back faces the trees ) for 2 reasons. One because we enjoy our privacy and enjoy looking out the back to see only tree and grass and no other houses behind us and also to have our dogs enjoy their own private space when we walk them. Plus if we do get visitors and they have pets, there will be more space for both people and dogs!
Because my dogs are so small, they are often prey for larger dogs or big birds. We always walk them on the leash and yes we pick up the poop no matter how small!As the above poster stated, it seems a great place for people and their pets!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Default feel as you also

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Wow, I'm sorry you feel that way. Especially since MY house is only vinyl sided. The reason? We had a limited budget of what we could afford to spend due to the fact we hadn't (and still haven't) sold our other house yet in PA. And when it does sell, it will be for less than this one cost because we are selling in rural PA and not someplace that is an expensive city. We made the decision that we wanted to spend more money on the inside for things for our comfort and enjoyment, such as a sunroom and nicer kitchen cabinets, and not a lot on the outside for other people to enjoy, but not us. We have all kinds of people here, every one of us having pride in our homes and just because we all can't afford the fancy, dancy Manor homes with full brick front, doesn't mean we are cheap or don't deserve to have a home here in SCCL. I'm so very glad that my neighbors don't share your opinion and they accept me for who I am and not what I can afford. I wish you luck to find that highly upscale community that you feel would be better suited to your lifestyle. You might want to try Lake Norman.

There are quite a few people who still have homes in FL and go there for the winter. In fact the neighbor behind me and one across from me have already left for the winter. Another neighbor across the street usually leaves in December, but she is renting to someone right now (they discovered they had Chinese drywall) so she won't be doing that. We all watch each others houses when away. It's nice.

However, I have some not so good news about your second statement. Yes, we have a "guard" at the gates, but we are NOT a limited access community due to the fact that our streets are county owned. At least the ones that have transitioned are owned by the county, and eventually they all will be county owned. So the law says that they can't keep anyone out who wants to come in. The "guard" is actually just a greeter and doesn't have the authority to stop anyone at all. Supposedly there is a sheriff car at night, but I haven't been out late enough to notice if they are still around. I suppose that would deter someone from coming in, but if they are bold enough and don't "set off" any mental alarms of the person at the gate, they can still lie and get in the gate. We do have community watch programs but have had some thefts lately. Frankly, I wish we were gated (and was under your same impression until it was too late to discover otherwise), but we are told it would cost too much. I don't understand that because it's not like the streets get salted or plowed!

We are building a new home ( closing in March ) and it's a downsize( 1/2 the size ) from our large 5 bedroom home at home. Also we may be snow birds until we sell our home up north in the next 5 years or so.
We chose the basics outside and what we thought we wanted for the inside plus what we could afford. I also agree we will probably do our own upgrades in the Sun City home such as cabinet and ceiling moldings, kitchen back splashes, light fixtures, blinds, etc etc. which I thought we could do cheaper on our own.

I plan to make new friends and not to impress people with my home- which is just material stuff but with myself and my friendship, my hubby and my sweet small dogs!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,315,540 times
Sounds like there are a LOT of snowbirds at SCCL.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,929 times
Default Products

Anybody know what brand of materials Pulte is using at Sun City Carolina Lakes for:

1) Windows?
2) Doors?
3) Roofs?
4) Vinyl?
5) Brick?
6) Exterior trim?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Rider View Post
Anybody know what brand of materials Pulte is using at Sun City Carolina Lakes for:

1) Windows?
2) Doors?
3) Roofs?
4) Vinyl?
5) Brick?
6) Exterior trim?

If you go to the following link you will find information that will answer your questions. They change things all the time, so what I have is not necessarily what the newer homes have. Once you are on this site you will see all the floor plans available on the left. Click on any of them and you will get to information about each of them. There are 2-3 tabs showing, one labelled "Features and Options". Click on that tab and there is a clickable section on each part of the house and each lists the features of that part of the house.

Sun City Carolina Lakes | Active Adult Community Ft. Mill/Indian Land NC | Del Webb homes

Hope this helps!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,929 times
Thanks. But, as far as I can tell, the information on the website only tells me about the vinyl, not the other components I was also asking about. Any other information anyone has?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,845,315 times
RR Ryder.............As I mentioned in my original post, what they use changes all the time. The best source for your information would be to contact the sales office and get the latest brochures. And even then what is listed in there can change from the time you sign the sales agreement to when you sign the closing papers. Our windows changed from Jeld-Wen to the Silverline in the time between.

As far as I know, right now they are using Silverline windows, Masonite doors, the outside trim is the same company as the vinyl siding. You should be aware that the "brick" is merely a partial brick facing that they attach and not full bricks and not sure what brand that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties