Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,589 times

Advertisements

Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on, its important for those who represent us to hear the voice of the people, good or bad.

I ask that everyone who lives in the district represented by John Spratt to email his office and ask that he holds a town hall meeting before the September vote on healthcare reform.

Email here: https://forms.house.gov/spratt/email_john.shtml (broken link)

I would like to share an email I sent:

I would like to ask if Congressman Spratt will be holding any town hall meetings locally to listen to the voice of the voters he represents on healthcare reform?
If not, on behalf of voters in his district, I would like to request the Congressman to do so.
Thank you for your time.
xxxxxxx
Registered Voter, 5th District of South Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM

157 posts, read 380,990 times
Good idea! My husband e-mailed him recently and just received a reply.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
As John Spratt is well-respected in the community, I don't think any town hall meeting in Rock Hill would be anywhere near as rabid as others we've seen across the county. A bit heated perhaps, but not over the top.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
I have been emailing Spratt, DeMint and Graham for several months now.

I emailed and called Spratt before they dismissed for their 'vacation' break ... he had surgery scheduled for his break ... with insurance coverage we will never have if HR3200 makes it through ... and we, the taxpayers, foot the bill for 'their' insurance.

Keep those emails, letters, telephone calls going and maybe he will hold a meeting, I know most of us are curious and just want answers. I sincerely hope a disruptive group wouldn't show up.

Here's the article in the newspaper today regarding his surgery:

Spratt Urged to Meet (http://www.heraldonline.com/front/story/1534101.html - broken link)

Old 08-14-2009, 09:01 AM

100 posts, read 373,660 times
I can tell you I haven't gotten any responses from his office or his staff, before or after any votes. I now call weekly.

He voted for HR 1018 (yes, the wild mustang bill). That is right $200 Billion (Congressional Budget Office - Cost Estimates (http://www.cbo.gov/cedirect.cfm?bill=hr1018&cong=111 - broken link)) according to the CBO for wild mustangs in the midwest.

It has never been easier to contact officials. We have to start letting them hear from us. Most of these representatives need to go, they are so out of touch, including Mr. Spratt. Foot surgury should keep him out of touch from his district.

U.S. Congressman John Spratt (D-SC 5th) does not plan to hold a Town Hall Meeting to discuss the HealthCare legislation. I have a long list of provisions I would like to hear my Congressman explain, but apparently, he is not very interested in addressing anything in a public forum. He has a duty to do so, and I call upon Congressman Spratt to stand in a public forum and explain to the people of the 5th Congressional District why he plans to vote for a bill he knows is unpopular in his Congressional District. I assume he plans to continue to ignore his constitutes.

I encourage everyone to call his office and voice their opinion on this issue. His office representative name is Charlie McDowell.

U.S. Congressman John Spratt’s: 803-327-1114.

Email

Washington Office

1401 Longworth Bldg.
Washington, DC 20515
Tel. 202-225-5501
Fax 202-225-0464

Rock Hill Office

201 E. Main Street, Suite 305
Rock Hill, SC 29730
Tel. 803-327-1114
Fax 803-327-4330

Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcarolina View Post
I can tell you I haven't gotten any responses from his office or his staff, before or after any votes. I now call weekly.

He voted for HR 1018 (yes, the wild mustang bill). That is right $200 Billion (Congressional Budget Office - Cost Estimates (http://www.cbo.gov/cedirect.cfm?bill=hr1018&cong=111 - broken link)) according to the CBO for wild mustangs in the midwest.

It has never been easier to contact officials. We have to start letting them hear from us. Most of these representatives need to go, they are so out of touch, including Mr. Spratt. Foot surgury should keep him out of touch from his district.

U.S. Congressman John Spratt (D-SC 5th) does not plan to hold a Town Hall Meeting to discuss the HealthCare legislation. I have a long list of provisions I would like to hear my Congressman explain, but apparently, he is not very interested in addressing anything in a public forum. He has a duty to do so, and I call upon Congressman Spratt to stand in a public forum and explain to the people of the 5th Congressional District why he plans to vote for a bill he knows is unpopular in his Congressional District. I assume he plans to continue to ignore his constitutes.

I encourage everyone to call his office and voice their opinion on this issue. His office representative name is Charlie McDowell.

U.S. Congressman John Spratt’s: 803-327-1114.

Email

Washington Office

1401 Longworth Bldg.
Washington, DC 20515
Tel. 202-225-5501
Fax 202-225-0464

Rock Hill Office

201 E. Main Street, Suite 305
Rock Hill, SC 29730
Tel. 803-327-1114
Fax 803-327-4330
You are telling it like it is SharpCarolina, Congressman Spratt votes with Pelosi and thus far has not listened to his constitutes on any bill presented this year. I have questions too and will not shout, rant or rave, just want a few answers.

I do think health care needs reform, but it has to start with the pharmaceutical companies, the for-profit hospitals and medical equipment suppliers. No one has addressed these areas and they are all money machines thus causing the insurance companies to try to get their piece of the pie with higher premiums.

Spratt voted yes on the Cap and Trade Bill HR2454 .... (Named the Clean Energy Bill but it's the Cap and Trade)

House Votes June 25, 2009

It's gone on to the Senate now ... Cap and Trade is disguised as a Clean Energy Bill ...tucked away in this 1400 page bill ... when you decide to sell your home ... a Federal Inspector, not a state inspector or a county inspector but a Fed will inspect your home ... windows, a/c seer rating, insulation, the whole kit and caboodle must meet this Federal inspection guidelines before you can sell your home ... in addition our energy costs are going to rise; electricity, natural gas, gasoline (the President even said this) ... this Bill passed the House and now waiting on the Senate. Our present economy cannot handle any additional price hikes.

People need to WAKE UP and let their voice be heard, in a nice calm, collective manner and ... email ... call ... write letters .... and just remember all of these things when we return to the voting booth.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 PM

174 posts, read 502,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcarolina View Post

No, $200 billion is not right...if you actually read the bill that you refer to, it's $200 million over 5 years. Big difference.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,738 times
maybe ya'll should write the insurance companies CEO's CFO's and ask them a few questions too about their costs and er ummm profits.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:32 AM

151 posts, read 570,865 times
There is nothing wrong with making a profit, this is America, founded on the capitalist system. Why is it wrong to make a profit? Do those companies making a profit not employ millions of people across this great nation? Do they offer no services? I am one of the fortunate in the majority who has health insurance, and quite frankly, it's working fine for my family. How did I get health insurance? Through my employer, and how did I get employed? I kept my nose to the grind stone working my behind off. While others were goofing off in school I tried to pay attention, I stayed out of trouble, and although not a scholar I graduated right in the middle of my class. I then spent the next 12 years with the Army putting in long hours for little pay, but slowly moving forward. I attended college part time so that I could have something else to say about my skill set, though it was not easy working FT while attending school. I left the Army after the 1st Gulf War, and slowly worked my way up. This didn't happen overnight, this has been a lifelong effort, and on the entire trip I never asked for a single thing from my government. So don't tell me about being disadvantaged, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, and do not expect those of us who have worked hard our entire lives to pay your health insurance. Certainly do not expect us to pay for illegal immigrant's health insurance. I know what it was like to be poor, but I never let this stop me from dreaming about the future! Let us examine what we already have, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid and other social programs for efficient operation. Let us find the waste, and understand how to better run these programs first. Let us fix what is already broken before we even begin to consider giving away health care. I am so sick of bailing out those who contribute very little to this country, yet walk away with the lion's share of free services.

I want to see more like minded individuals rise up, and finally be heard!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:15 PM

The York County Republican Party will hold a Town Hall Meeting to answer the public’s questions regarding a health care bill now under consideration in Congress.

Congressman John Spratt was invited but declined the invitation.

The Town Hall Meeting on Wednesday, August 19th will be held at the Magnolia Room at Laurel Creek in Rock Hill and begins at 6:30 p.m. Under discussion is H.R. 3200, America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009.

The meeting is free and open to the public.

York County GOP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties