Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 02:10 PM

160 posts, read 451,529 times

Advertisements

What is Lake Wylie like? Is the water clean? Do you have to own lakefront property to gain access?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 AM

157 posts, read 380,958 times
I don't think the water is clean, but it is also not obviously polluted. Many people swim and fish in it. I, personally, would not eat fish caught in it. But, I don't live on it. It is mainly a recreational boating lake. It is very big and there is a dam at the Catawba River. It was man-made by Duke Power. I think the dam was put in place in the 20's or 40's. There is a nuclear energy plant on the Clover side. Most of the homes on the Rock Hill and Fort Mill side are less than 1,000,000. There are several access points to put boats in. Just a few public swimming areas. You can Google Ebenezer Park, Nivens Landing and Tega Cay Marina for more information on the east side.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyroses View Post
I don't think the water is clean, but it is also not obviously polluted. Many people swim and fish in it. I, personally, would not eat fish caught in it. But, I don't live on it. It is mainly a recreational boating lake. It is very big and there is a dam at the Catawba River. It was man-made by Duke Power. I think the dam was put in place in the 20's or 40's. There is a nuclear energy plant on the Clover side. Most of the homes on the Rock Hill and Fort Mill side are less than 1,000,000. There are several access points to put boats in. Just a few public swimming areas. You can Google Ebenezer Park, Nivens Landing and Tega Cay Marina for more information on the east side.
Thank you for your help. Can't say I love the ides of a nuclear energy plant nearby.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM

259 posts, read 797,793 times
Hi Susan75!

I looked back to see what your other posts are about, so I am going to try to answer a few of your interests.

First of all, this forum was very helpful to us when we contemplated moving here from western NY two years ago. After having been here, I think this is a wonderful place to live for many reasons.

As for the lake, I have been out on it once and loved it. I am used to the finger lakes region of western NY and while Lake Wylie is not quite as charming, it is long and fairly narrow and a lot of people seem to enjoy it. I did enjoy swimming in it but would agree not to eat fish from it.

You also asked (in another post) about teaching here. Unfortunately, the economy has hit us hard in this area and for the first time in years, teachers have been cut. There seem to be some jobs available at times and maybe in your specialties, by the time you get here, you can find work. I am a retired school administrator from up north and share your pain over the interview process. It can be crazy up there! I don't know about here.

I think you may have some trouble with the in-law facilities, but a realtor can help you best with that. If you come here, I would urge your mother to join the local Newcomers club. This is basically a group of ladies who are new (and not so new at this point) to the area who have all kinds of activities. They are basically middle to older ages... but some are a bit younger. It is a great way to meet new people and learn the area.

By the way, most people we have met here are from somewhere else! Mostly the north, but some from the midwest and California!

I was a bit taken aback by the proximity of the nuclear plant also, but have gotten used to that and also realize there are many around large urban areas.

So, I would not come down here without at least one member of the family having secured a job, but I would encourage you to keep exploring this area. SC is less expensive than NC, so living just south of the NC border is ideal. I understand Fort Mill has top rated school district in SC and I hear the Charlotte schools are not great. We are in Rock Hill after renting in Fort Mill for a year.

I hope I have helped you a bit. Feel free to direct message me if I can help more.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 AM

23 posts, read 54,430 times
I would surely rather have a nuclear plant than oil or coal and their attendant carbon dioxide emissions. I believe my electricity bill will be unaffected IF cap and trade becomes a reality.

Power plants have to be somewhere.

I have lived in Lake Wylie for three years and, when atmospheric conditions are right, I can see the plume of steam rising from the plant from my breakfast room. I, for one, am not the least bit worried.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
I took a 6 mile boat ride on Wylie on Monday. Started in Belmont and rode south and back. Plenty of green water and High doller homes . You never find the conjestion and large number of big boats on wylie like Lake Norman

Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I took a 6 mile boat ride on Wylie on Monday. Started in Belmont and rode south and back. Plenty of green water and High doller homes . You never find the conjestion and large number of big boats on wylie like Lake Norman
Do a lot of people swim in it? Would you feel comfortable swimming in it? Is anyone allowed to fish or do you need to own property on the lake?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM

55 posts, read 193,091 times
The Belmont end of the lake is commonly referred to as up the river. It is quite narrow compared to the lake from Buster Boyd bridge south to the dam. While it may not have as much traffic as Lake Norman, to say that it doesn't get congested is inaccurate, as any weekend afternoon spent observing the boat ramps will attest. Not to mention the resident boat owners on the lake.

As far as swimming, yes a lot of people do swim in the lake. I began fishing the lake nearly two years ago now after moving here from Florida. During that time, I have caught a couple of deformed fish, two submerged 5 gallon buckets, a shoe, various articles of clothing, etc. So, in my opinion, and that's all it is, Lake Wylie isn't a particularly clean lake, and I don't eat the fish from it. With all of the developed real estate surrounding the shore, all of the fertilizers and pesticides from those beautifully manicured lawns have to run off somewhere, and it ends up in the lake. And no you don't have to be a land owner to fish it, you just need the appropriate fishing licenses.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
The Belmont end of the lake is commonly referred to as up the river. It is quite narrow compared to the lake from Buster Boyd bridge south to the dam. While it may not have as much traffic as Lake Norman, to say that it doesn't get congested is inaccurate, as any weekend afternoon spent observing the boat ramps will attest. Not to mention the resident boat owners on the lake.

As far as swimming, yes a lot of people do swim in the lake. I began fishing the lake nearly two years ago now after moving here from Florida. During that time, I have caught a couple of deformed fish, two submerged 5 gallon buckets, a shoe, various articles of clothing, etc. So, in my opinion, and that's all it is, Lake Wylie isn't a particularly clean lake, and I don't eat the fish from it. With all of the developed real estate surrounding the shore, all of the fertilizers and pesticides from those beautifully manicured lawns have to run off somewhere, and it ends up in the lake. And no you don't have to be a land owner to fish it, you just need the appropriate fishing licenses.
Hmmm...deformed fish. A little disconcerting but if your only fishing for fun and not for dinner I suppose it doesn't matter.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 PM

55 posts, read 193,091 times
I had forgotten that I made a short video a couple of months ago out on a weekday messing with the boat. It's mostly just a video of running the boat a little, but it gives you a glimpse of the river end of the lake if you care to watch it. Towards the end of the run you can see the Allen Steam plant in the background. The link to that video is

YouTube - Taking off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties